Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Update On Monty...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I can't believe he's been in my life for a year and a half now, incredible how time flies. He's not so finicky anymore, eats pretty much anything I put in his bowl now but still not a fan of raw fish. He gets canned sardines instead, and a bit of salmon oil a few times a week. Still hides the occasional bone, but nowhere near as bad as before. Raw organs aren't an issue anymore, frozen or thawed, he'll eat it all as part of a meal. Makes life much easier until you're cutting up smelly tripe or kidney.

Found a great holistic vet, had him in for a wellness checkup a few month ago. Vet was impressed with him, and how easy going he is. Left me in the office for 20 minutes and took my dog on a walkabout to show him off to the techs and clients in the office - this is what a properly fed dog should look like. She was so smitten with him, I didn't know if I'd get him back. Was on the fence about getting a rabies shot for him, but considering he spends so much time in the dog parks... And this vet is not pushy with vaccinations, thankfully.

And he's definitely allergic to wheat, within minutes he'll sneeze, get watery eyes etc. But people tend to sneak him treats when I'm not paying attention.

And I suspect that Jagger is no longer alive, which really upsets me to no end...

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Sounds like it's going great for you, but I hope the best for Jagger. What makes you think he's gone?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

I liked Jagger. I hope that's not true.

I'm glad Monty makes you so happy and I'm glad feeding isn't such a horrible thing anymore. It's nice when things go right. We deserve for things to go right.

I'm also glad you found a good vet. We had to do the vet search. We thought we were going to have to do it when DH got out of the Navy, but he's in the reserves now, so we still have access to all of those places. Iorveth was due for rabies (with all the wild critters we have, including a mated pair of coyotes who raise a litter on our property every year, we just don't risk it) and when we called to make an appointment, we were told our amazing, wonderful, incredible, there-aren't-enough-positive adjectives-in-the-world-to-describe-this-woman vet had passed away. I mean, we took the ferry across the Puget Sound to go to her after we moved to the Seattle side because we loved her so much.

So we took him to our horse's vet down the road. SO much closer, but they aren't holistic or anything like that. It was nice. She gave me 'the speech', but it wasn't condescending and it was more like she was just doing it because she was supposed to. They didn't push vaccines we didn't want. They were smitten with him like yours was with Monty. It sure makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it? They took a photo of him for their 'name that breed' contest on their facebook page. $5 gift card to a local cupcake shop for the winner. 

A tip for cutting up the smelly things... Freeze them before you cut them. Then let them thaw just enough to get the knife through them without fighting it. It cuts down on the smell and the mess. My apologies if you already know that. I can just remember those horrifying days of trying to cut up a full beef liver with red stains up to my elbows because it was thawed all the way through... Yikes.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

It appears there's a new dog in their lives, and I haven't seen any pics of Jagger posted anywhere - but the new dog is...

Sounds like it's going great for you, but I hope the best for Jagger. What makes you think he's gone?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I liked Jagger. I hope that's not true.

I'm glad Monty makes you so happy and I'm glad feeding isn't such a horrible thing anymore. It's nice when things go right. We deserve for things to go right.

I'm also glad you found a good vet. We had to do the vet search. We thought we were going to have to do it when DH got out of the Navy, but he's in the reserves now, so we still have access to all of those places. Iorveth was due for rabies (with all the wild critters we have, including a mated pair of coyotes who raise a litter on our property every year, we just don't risk it) and when we called to make an appointment, we were told our amazing, wonderful, incredible, there-aren't-enough-positive adjectives-in-the-world-to-describe-this-woman vet had passed away. I mean, we took the ferry across the Puget Sound to go to her after we moved to the Seattle side because we loved her so much.

So we took him to our horse's vet down the road. SO much closer, but they aren't holistic or anything like that. It was nice. She gave me 'the speech', but it wasn't condescending and it was more like she was just doing it because she was supposed to. They didn't push vaccines we didn't want. They were smitten with him like yours was with Monty. It sure makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it? They took a photo of him for their 'name that breed' contest on their facebook page. $5 gift card to a local cupcake shop for the winner. 

A tip for cutting up the smelly things... Freeze them before you cut them. Then let them thaw just enough to get the knife through them without fighting it. It cuts down on the smell and the mess. My apologies if you already know that. I can just remember those horrifying days of trying to cut up a full beef liver with red stains up to my elbows because it was thawed all the way through... Yikes.

It's not easy to find a good vet, one that really cares and wants to help the whole dog.

Even frozen, or semi frozen organs stink. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Oh, man. I'm really sorry. Even though he's not in your life anymore, that knowledge has to be difficult. I've had a few dogs like that in my life. It's the worst kind of helpless feeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO