Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How Much Variation Necessary For Cats?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

So my cat Pingu eats mostly whole mice and chicks with occasional frankenprey. He gets some meat other than mice and chicks at least ever other day, but he really prefers the mice and chicks. I know a dog needs at least three proteins on a raw diet, but how much of the diet must consist of each meat? Pingu gets around 40-45% mice, 40-45% chicks, and 15-20% other protein like chicken or pork, which he will eat but without enthusiasm. Is it ok having only two meat sources making up such a large majority of his food? How about only one protein making up 80-90% and the rest mice, pork, beef, etc? 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I try to get as much variety as possible. My cats get chicken, beef, and venison as staples. They also get pork, rabbit, and quail depending on what's available.

If possible, try mixing the meats together (if you are doing beef cubes, etc.) and adding a little bit of whatever they don't like and increasing the amount slowly.

• lilasmom likes this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

It's not that he doesn't like it, he will eat it but just not happily. 

I was just wondering in terms of ease for myself and happiness for my cat if the above would be possible. He just isn't the same when he doesn't get his whole prey, and whole mice and quail can be expensive, so it would be cheaper to make chicks a main food, but how much of a "main" food is too much?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

It's not that he doesn't like it, he will eat it but just not happily. 

I was just wondering in terms of ease for myself and happiness for my cat if the above would be possible. He just isn't the same when he doesn't get his whole prey, and whole mice and quail can be expensive, so it would be cheaper to make chicks a main food, but how much of a "main" food is too much?

I would try not to do more than 4 days a week the main food. I also worry that your cat will just start refusing the other food for the chick, which could be problematic later on :/ Cats can be so darn finicky... *sigh*

• GimMom likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Chicks are almost nothing for nutrition, I would not feed them as a meal at all.  My cat is pretty picky, mainly poultry but she loves mice and rabbit so she gets those along with chicken, turkey, grouse and duck.  Got her to try goose the other day which was nice.  I would aim for at least 3-4 proteins. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO