Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Introducing Two Dogs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

So I have Capone living with us now for 5 months,  I still have him and the girls separate, Macy will always be separate, I do walk him with Babs everyday, they sniff the same spots and don't really seem to pay attention to each other, they have had a few by accident personal meets (hubby leaving door open)  they have gone ok.  I am the one who is very nervous. 

I know my nervousness can be a problem, not sure how to get over that, its from breaking up 2 fierce fights between the girls. 

will keeping them separate make things worse, creating animosity.

how long is too long before introducing.

I don't know how to get over my fear, I stink at reading body language, but Babs really doesn't have any.

any thoughts would be appreciated

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

How long have they been separated? I would start walking them together if you can. Start from a long distance away, and if you see none of the dogs reacting, bring one of them to walk behind that dog. Keep doing it and switch so that the dog that was in front goes behind. After that, if there is no reaction, I would move to side to side (but not close enough for them to get to each other).

After that, I would do the umbilical inside the house with both dogs. If you can't supervise the two then crate one and umbilical the other. Switch and rotate. Once you feel more comfortable, you can start letting them meet, leashes on, with people supervising.

With pits I think it's always important to just keep a super close eye.

I did the same with my leash reactive foster dog (an AmStaff) when I adopted Meeko. They met a few times outside, and she knew he lived in my room, but we kept them separated for about two weeks before we started letting them hang out in the same room together. Still kept a close eye, etc.

And obviously, never leave them together unsupervised :)

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Lol sorry didn't mean to post that here.  i

If they have walked together and been ok have you let them do some sniffing?  Tire them both out well and if you have help do a walk, sniff and if all goes ok I usually let one off leash in the yard and encourage them to just wander around and be polite.  Bringing them in house is a little more risky due to closer quarters so I would maybe start keeping one out, one in an exercise pen or the like.  You really have to know your dogs and personality.  If they are standing close to each other, slow tail wags and kind of mirroring each other break it up.  Anyone standing on tippy toes or trying to dominate the other with head or paws over shoulders gets broken up and separated. 

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I am confused :wacko:

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Oh and I don't think time apart really matters for introducing.  The slower the better imo.  Have you looked at badraps website?  I think they have some tips on introducing dogs as well. 

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I have, I worry my nervousness will be an issue.  Even though Capone has come a long way he is still distrustful of me sometimes, he is hard to read and my dog signal reading skills are sort of lacking, I just read everything about dog behavior Nate has posted but...

I have called a dog trainer/behaviorist to help with this for my own peace of mind.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Is it possible to introduce the dogs while your hubby is there with someone else....while you sit the greetings out? Eventually you get closer and closer until you are able to calmly and confidently be in the room with them together? 

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I just hired a trainer/behaviorist to help me figure out some of Capone's weird issues, also to see him and Babs together, hoping a professional point of you will help me
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'm sure it'll help greatly! It's always best to get first hand, experienced, professional help when dealing with aggression and anxiety. Let us know how it goes! 

• lovemypits likes this

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

So the trainer came today, it went very well.    We did a lot of talking while he observed the dogs, we took Capone and Babs for a walk and watched them interact, they even played a bit, I was so excited I have never seen Babs play with another dog.  He thinks Capone is a great dog, social but respectful, he also thinks I should do agility with him.  All in all it was a great experience and I am feeling more comfortable about Capone.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That is great to hear!!! Is he coming again for a follow up or was this a one time thing? 

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

he doesn't think there is a reason, he suggested I take him to a group obedience class, and then to some agility classes, to build his confidence and build mine in him and strengthen our bond.  He believes he is a great dog, does not think he has any  behavior issues,  its more of my issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO