Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Yay!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I just wanted to post here because no one else gets it :P.

I'm super excited because my cat is now eating raw meat without me grinding or cutting it! Even whole chicken hearts and gizzards. Soon he shouldn't need the freeze-dried stuff at all, just working on getting him to eat bones now. Any tips would be appreciated. I might try whole prey, too, since I already buy mice, chicks, and quail (for the snakes and dog).

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Congrats!  If he's eating chunks then just slowly up the size and for bone in start with like rabbit or poultry ribs if you can get them, if he is eating gizzards he should have the jaw strength to tackle some bones. 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Thanks! I can't get rabbit (well, I could get whole rabbits but that's the one animal I'd have a rough time cutting up) but I can certainly get some chicken wings or something :). I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Congrats! How did it take you to get to that stage? I think I might be losing my mind trying to get my girls just to try some meat, even a little chicken skin.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Congrats! How did it take you to get to that stage? I think I might be losing my mind trying to get my girls just to try some meat, even a little chicken skin.

Hmm. Maybe a month or so after the switch from kibble to freeze-dried raw. Before the freeze-dried, he wouldn't touch anything but specific brands of kibble. Somehow eating the freeze-dried made him more willing to try new things.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
*sigh* I think it's time to try this route. Did you mix it with canned, and which brand did you try?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That's awesome!!! 

What I've done to introduce whole bones is to smash chicken wings and drummies up really well until they're all mushy, then cut it all up into small pieces. 

You could also try and find whole raw meaty bones that have been ground at a butcher shop. While this isn't ideal it can be a good stepping stone to getting them to whole pieces.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Update: I broke down and bought a rabbit, they had a whole rabbit for $3.29 at a discount food type store. I'm happy to report that my cat is now eating rabbit and chicken bones, provided they're in small chunks :). My roommate's cat is being more difficult, unfortunately!

• Prey Model Raw and GoingPostal like this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Update: I broke down and bought a rabbit, they had a whole rabbit for $3.29 at a discount food type store. I'm happy to report that my cat is now eating rabbit and chicken bones, provided they're in small chunks :). My roommate's cat is being more difficult, unfortunately!

WTH A WHOLE RABBIT FOR $3.29?!?!

I want to live where you live :( I paid like $20 for a whole rabbit last time I bought it lol >_<

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

WTH A WHOLE RABBIT FOR $3.29?!?!

I want to live where you live :( I paid like $20 for a whole rabbit last time I bought it lol >_<

Sometimes its easier to find a farmer selling rabbits. I got 9 rabbits for $35 recently. They were each around 3.5-4.5 lbs. 

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Try quail if you can find it. My cats loves them. I can find them at a decent price too, but it is still three times the price of chicken... Hopefully my cats will eat more chicken eventually.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Sometimes its easier to find a farmer selling rabbits. I got 9 rabbits for $35 recently. They were each around 3.5-4.5 lbs. 

Yeah now the trouble is finding a farmer in this area lol (I live in a very urban area) >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO