Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Newbie From South Africa

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Katey

Katey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKZN, South Africa

Hi all

I am new to the forum, and to owning a dog. 

I had a beautiful bundle of joy come into my life at the end of June after absolutely stealing my heart. I had not planned to get a puppy this year, although I have been considering it for the last few years. I have had cats up till now. 

So with a new pup, as with most people who are new to something, I started reading, and have gotten myself into an absolute spin. I got him prom people who were feeding pedigree. so I got a bag of that with him. He had THE worst flaky itchy skin, and bathing him in hypo-allergenic puppy shampoo did nothing for him. So I asked around and the unanimous cry was that pedigree (and all grocery store food) junk for dogs. so I tried him on vet food (slightly better than grocery store food by general opinion) and my boy turned his nose up at it. I have tried Hills, Royal Canin and Eukanuba; but Jones is not interested. I am feeding him a local food (Montego) which from the list of ingredients is not great, but he eats it. But in all my reading I have been told that I should consider feeding him raw. So I have started reading copious amounts again. I think I have my head around that he needs to be fed 2-3% of his body weight of bone in chicken with organs. But last week I hit a wobble. I came across a rant online of a woman who was feeding raw and her dog died because of a bone perforating his guts. She went into great detail, and it has me wondering. Have any of you had issues like this? How do I prevent that? Is raw ok for a 21 Week old pup? How do I make sure that he gets all the right amounts of calcium and phosphorus? Please may I have some opinions from you, because I am certain you know more than I do. 

This is Jones on the weekend hiding. 

IMG_4431_zps356b2926.jpg

Chilling in the sun with a friends dogs

4075_zps9eac7e16.jpg

a few weeks ago playing tug

2098452B-F2AB-4FC0-897B-6AFB7CBDC3B3-633

• Prey Model Raw likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great decision on switching to raw. There is a wonderful getting started guide on this site, if you haven't already read it you should. It has a wealth of info. 

Getting the correct calcium phosphorus balance comes with variety of meatless vs. bone in.  Don't stress over it, you will make it more difficult than it really is. 

As far as bone perforating guts, I haven't had that to happen, and I don't know anyone who has. A lot of feeding raw comes from knowing your dog. Whether he is a chewer or a gulper and feeding appropriatly. Feeding correct, edible bones rather than dense weight bearing bones. Dogs intestines and stomachs are tough on purpose, specifically for this sort of thing. MOST (not all, but most) raw feeding issues are user mistakes. Around five or six years for us, and not a problem.

Katey

Katey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you so much Jenny. 

It makes it any easier decision knowing that there are people out there who are getting it right. I am going meat shopping this weekend. 

I have read the intro guide a few times. But will read it a few times more before the week is out. lol

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of raw feeding. Sure there are a few really bad stories out there that puts raw feeding in a bad light. But compared to the long term damage that happens to a great number of kibble fed dogs throughout their lives.....raw can hardly be considered dangerous. 

That said, there's only a few right ways to feed a well rounded raw diet, and about a million wrong ways to do it. Doing your research (which you're already doing) is the best place to start. Finding a good source for experience, mentorship and help is the next best place....which you've joined this forum! Next, is finding a source for meats that are affordable and acceptable to feed. 

Keep us posted along the way and PLEASE don't hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have! There are plenty of wonderful, experienced and knowledgeable people here to help you!

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on yuor decision to feed a raw diet. I know that the possibility of a bone perforating their gut exists but I think it is really a small risk. I have been feeding 2 small dogs - under 10 lbs - raw for 2 years in December and have never had anything bad happen. If their tiny bodies can manage bones without issue then I think most dogs are ok. There have been a few times that I have taken a bone away because it had a sharp, pointy end but even that is a rare thing.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

To add to what Natalie said, she is very correct that there are a few bad stories out there on raw about bad things happening on occasion, but I have to say it's FAR FAR less than stories on kibble. Kibble has caused a lot more problems than raw has ever thought about! 

Katey

Katey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thank you all so much. 

I have done a ton of reading this week. and feel MUCH calmer. lol. 

I have found the site so very helpful. and have seen that the questions I have at the moment have all been asked before, so I have collected so much information. I am picking up my first 20lb box of chicken quarters tomorrow. I found Kidneys at a good price yesterday. But those will only be for the end of the month if my boy accepts the chicken and skin, and has normal poos. I am starting him on raw on Friday.

I was wondering though. I use cooked liver as a training treat for Jones. I train him every day, to get his mind going, and keep him from getting bored. I am going to be doing agility with him in the new year. I worked it out yesterday and he is getting about the same amount and sometimes more liver in training as is would be his full organs allowance for his food per week. would I just not feed him organs at meal times? 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Cooked liver can't replace raw organ meat, so it wouldn't be counted in the overall diet balance.

Keep the questions coming!

Katey

Katey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thanks Natalie. 

I was wondering. Has anyone or does anyone feed chicken heads? 

In SA they package and sell Chicken heads and feet for human consumption. I was looking for a bag of chicken feet this weekend and was only able to get the heads and feet together. Because they're meant for people the feet have all the yellow "scales" taken off and I'm guessing the heads are cleaned too... I can't see anything gross on them, except the beak. 

I gave my boy his first raw meal yesterday (for both meal times) and he absolutely LOVED it! He gave me a funny look when I first put the meat down. But when I told him to go ahead and eat (He sits and waits for his food before eating) He licked it like a ice cream for a good minute or so, and then got his teeth into it. I gave him hearts and stomachs for his second meal. and he liked those better than the white meat. 

I am not sure if it is normal though, but I have not seen him pass a stool. He has been his usual puppy self, and has been out to wee like normal. I will look around the yard when I get home, because he didn't do anything before I left for work this morning. I read somewhere that it is normal for some dogs to not pass a stool for the first day after switching. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Are you feeding him bone inclusive meals?

Heads should be fine to feed- we give whole birds to the dogs feathers and all

Katey

Katey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I am feeding him chicken thighs. His adult weight guestimate is that he will be about 38lbs. I am feeding now for that weight. (I don't know if that is correct)

The thighs I got weighed out to be a little more than half of his daily food by weigh, so I have done stomachs and hearts and chicken feet for his other meal to make up the rest of his food weight. I gave him a little bit of yoghurt with his food last night. I was wondering about the heads because I have them in my freezer now.

I saw him poop this morning and it was a little soft, and rather tiny. But nothing as bad as a runny tummy he had a few weeks ago when I tried a new type of store bought treat biscuits. 

I feel a bit like a stalker, because I have been watching him eat since I started this. I stepped out of the room last night to go put something down and heard a noise, and went back, and he had the thigh half in his mouth and gave me this "Lady, you're crazy" look. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO