Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Spaying/neutering And Health Issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I just recently watched a video from Dr. Karen Becker on why spaying/neutering at a young age is not ideal. I'll post the link to the article and video. Just wondered what others thought about it.

http://healthypets.m...alth-risks.aspx

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
If I have the choice from now on I'll wait until the pup is 2 years and then decide from there. My newest boy is 4 and I'm wondering if neutering him will or will not help his marking. I'm very torn as to whether or not I should neuter him...

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Dr. Becker was describing in the video how she trained her intact male to not spray. A belly band that keeps the penis strapped against the abdomen that is removed when the dog is taken outside to do their business as a way of positive reinforcement training. I thought that sounded pretty good, actually, because a dog isn't going to want to urinate/spray on itself and therefore will wait until you take them outside.

It's making me think twice about altering my next dog, at least while it's young. Second benefit is cost. It is NOT cheap in Toronto.

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Tried the belly band, my boy just takes it off. Or just drench the belly band.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Really? Damn, I'm not sure what the alternative is to that method. Natalie might have a good idea.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Where and when is he marking?

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
He likes to pee on new things, so if something is left on the floor he pees on it. At my place he has been very good lately, but I'm careful to keep everything off the floor and I watch him like a hawk. He doesn't like being left home alone and will pee most times whether he's crated or not. The other day I noticed he's been peeing on the floor of my car in the backseat.

He is awful at my parents. He will pee and poop anywhere (typically he doesn't poop inside, but at my parents every once in a while he does). It doesn't help that when he is there and I am not my parents leave him unattended for periods of time so he never really learns anything there. He was staying with my mom while I was at work when I first got him because he hated being alone, but then I discovered over a dozen pee spots all over her bedroom, including pillows and bedspread.

9/10 times he will not pee on something when you are looking at him so we sometimes don't find the spot for hours or days...he is tiny so marking for him can be as small as a dribble.

I realize that my moms house is probably where it gets rehearsed the most but my parents aren't able/willing to help with potty training..and there are times when it's unavoidable, he has to go there.

At my place he is crated when I sleep, can't watch him or am not home. As I said before he will pee in his crate when left home alone but he doesn't when I'm home.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Spyro also easily removed his belly band and generally removes anything we put on him.  It only took about 2 years to get him to wear a collar  :D

There are a few vets willing to do a vasectomy if you're in the right area.  Same with tubal ligation.  Both you can keep the benefits of an intact animal while they are sterilized.  Some animal controls will still consider them "unaltered" again depending on area.  Some places consider altered as any dog that is surgically sterile while other consider altered as a dog that is castrated or that has had an OVH (usually in areas where roaming is a problem.)

I'm hoping that the area hubby and I move to for homesteading at least has a vet willing to do depo for our LGDs.  Our pets are rescues so they're generally altered early.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would go back to potty training basics with him, Lauren. Like he's a brand new puppy....I'd even take it as far as using his daily food intake as his reward, so he earns his food by going potty outside. 

Is this something that's feasible? Because it sounds to me like it's already a well ingrained habit, one that is going to be difficult to break him of. But I've had good results with adult dogs being re-potty trained at an older age. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO