Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Crate Size

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I'm looking to get a crate for Silly, she's 19" long (snout to butt) while the small crates are almost always also 19" long (claimed to be for dogs up to 25 lbs, Silly's only 10.5 lbs). Would a 19" crate be comfortable for her or should I go up to the next size of 24"?

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Bigger is better if you have the space.  Or bring her into a store or see if a friend has one you can size out and see with her in it. 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I would go with the 24". 19" is too small if Silly is 19" nose to butt.

I went with a 19" for my 7.5 lbs dog, and he JUST fits in there. He is 11" base of neck to butt (so def. smaller than your dog). I also have a 24" one for my foster dog, who is probably more around Silly's size, but a bit smaller. She has a lot of space in there, but it's not big enough for her to go potty in one of the corners or something.

I highly doubt the 24" could actually accomodate a 25 lbs dog lol but yeah usually weight estimates are rubbish. You really want to measure your dog and make sure he can stand up comfortably and stretch out/lie down comfortably in it :)

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
I would go with the bigger size if possible. I have both sizes and the 19" is way to small to keep Betty(16#) in. She can't pick her head up in it. The 24" is comfortable for her though.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I agree with the others on size. Unless she has potty accidents in a larger one, there's no reason to have the smaller one. 

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I always say that they should be able to stand up and turn around without touching the sides.  

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Thanks everyone, I was just wondering because of the weight claims given for craters. Obviously weight doesn't always relate to actual size of the dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO