Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gimli's First Meat Order

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

So I was finally able to order from the supplier I found that delivers (for free!),. I bought: 20lbs of beef heart, 10lbs of salmon heads (I screamed like a little girl) and 15lbs of a chunky raw beef/chicken mix (has bone, organ, skin and muscle meat) for the cats to transition. I have so much chunky mix, it will last for MONTHS since the girls are still being picky about transitioning. I'm adding little warmed up bits to their food and they aren't touching it. So I need to figure out something to help, if there is one, the cats are maddening sometimes!

I also posted about my order on Facebook like the strange person I am, and an old friend from high school that I'm still in touch with offered me her chest freezer, totally free. It's the size of a dryer, she said, so I'm picking it up this weekend. Soooo thrilled, I ran out of room in my small apartment fridge freezer.

Also, do I need to freeze the salmon heads for a month? She said they were fresh, not previously frozen. 

Anyway, ze pictures. Gimli's face at the end is all "Mom, where's my meat?!?!" LOL

6834dc01-de70-4882-9cb1-5b7f09b7106d_zps

NO.....just....no....*sob*

e42f6b16-9939-4a06-96db-8cba88b3ea29_zps

Beef heart thawing in sink

IMG426_zps74e06b5d.jpg

Chunky mix for cats

IMG429_zps787aa7ed.jpg

The freezer, pre-turkey necks. I didn't feel like portioning tonight after all the running around I did today, so they'll go in tomorrow.

IMG422_zpscd947b48.jpg

Inspecting "his" order

IMG421_zps3e138cd3.jpg

When I saw these boxes in her trunk, I was like "Oh crap!" because I didn't think I could fit it all. I still have to fit in 10lbs of turkey necks.

a02e9948-958e-4dc2-9a34-d3b792c1cb7b_zps

Mr Spoiled Rotten himself. This is totally be one of my next tattoos!

• Prey Model Raw, GoingPostal, Pixel and 2 others like this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
The new freezer is definitely needed.Lol
I wish I could find some salmon like that.
I've been told its best to freeze it for a month before feeding, but I wonder if it depends on where its from. I guess if there is any doubt and you have the space it wouldn't hurt to keep them in the freezer to be safe.

My cats were/are picky too. I started by slowly mixing in the grounds(muscle, organ and bone) with their instinct cans and pre made frozen.They are getting better. Now they eat bigger chunks and organs, but no bones yet. But they get angry if they don't get their meat now.:)

Love the pic of Gimli!
  • Howardsi likes this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

I would absolutely freeze the salmon for a minimum of 30 days

Congrats on the score!!

• Howardsi likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
I'll freeze the, I think she said they were west coast salmon, but I'm not going to take a chance and make him sick. The need heart finally thawed enough for me to bag it and put it in the fridge until I can portion it. Going to try adding a little to a chicken thigh tonight and see how he makes out. He was having a weird poo today after normal ones for the last little while, but had a little runny poo with some firm chunks. And then had to stop twice for nothing but a little mucous. So I'm proceeding with caution here with the beef.

And the freezer is a maybe. I don't have friends with trucks and while it's small, it may not fit in my mom's Rav4. Crossing fingers, my freezer is almost full ams I still have to fit in turkey necks and the beef heart.

Thanks Pixel! He's my expressive face monster.

Thanks Jon, I'm set for proteins for a while aside from grabbing chicken or Turkey as his main staples. I just hope I didn't overdo it, I spent $90 and have about 60lbs of meat!
  • Howardsi likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ummmmmmmm, crap. Everyone pray to jeebus that I can fit that freezer in my mom's Rav4. 

Because:

IMG_20131010_200724_zpsa743aa3b.jpg

• Howardsi likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

A full freezer is kinda a good problem to have! Just means you have to get a new one to fit it all! Which you've got lined up! 

• Howardsi likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Yeah, I went overboard, but at least I don't have to worry about need or fish for now. Just my main staples, like turkey and chicken and some pork. Shane gave me a wtf face when he saw the freezer, lol! The new freezer is 35x30x23, so I'm praying that'll fit in the back of my mom's Rav4. She has to drive an hour to Toronto with it, too. I wish I had a truck!

He had three small chunks of beef last night with his thigh, and then begged me to go out earlier at 930pm and had a runny pop. His poothis morning was firm with mucous, so I'll try more beef on Sunday.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Give him 1/2 the amount of beef you gave this past time and go from there. If he does well with it, start to increase it slowly. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks, I did that. Gave him two smaller chunks than yesterday and a turkey neck. We'll see how his poop is, though it looked pretty good this morning aside from a little mucous. I could tell there was beef in there, some darker pieces. His poop the night before was pure chicken squish!

And so far, the freezer looks like a go. My mom is measuring the back of her SUV. 35 x 30 x 23.5 isn't that big, but it is when you don't have a pickup! :P

• Prey Model Raw likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

We have our "new" freezer! 

IMG_20131013_153037_zps92221ed1.jpg

^My mom and sister picked it up and drove it one hour to Toronto. I imagine there was much swearing during this process, because that's how my family rolls! :P

IMG_20131013_163308_zps307dde44.jpg

Oh, hi there extra space!

IMG_20131013_171440_zps8e1b2ecd.jpg

I was the only one injured, when Shane crunched my ankle between the damn freezer and the stairs, and then in true Deb fashion, managed to drop a frozen 1 lb bag of frozen chunk meat on it when transferring the meat to the freezer. It is no wonder Shane nicknamed me "Deb Disaster"

What I do for raw <3

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Woot!!!! Glad you've got another freezer now...I tend to collect them now LOL

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, though no more space or need for any more now, thankfully. My body can't handle that again ahaha

Don't mind the hairy legs. I'm Canadian :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'm an American and my legs look like that on a regular basis LOL :P

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Girl gotta stay warm!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Glad I'm not the only one! Good thing the guys don't care ... Or they do, but just put up with it! :)

Congrats on the new freezer! I just put my 48 lbs of chicken in our upright freezer ... Hubby isn't going to want to share more than half of our freezer, since the house one is so tiny ... Looks like we may be getting another, if I get some good scores on meat! My friend has offered to store any overflow in her gigantic upright freezer, so that's helpful too! Maybe we'll just mooch off of her for a while, until I get lucky and make a huge score. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO