Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Went Straight Into Full-Blown Raw Diet.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

New here and have a question:

I have been raw feeding my 11ish month old pup for about a week now. I stopped feeding her kibble and dove straight into it. In fact, I completely missed the recommendation that one waits months before introducing organ meat (went straight to the butcher). I also missed the recommendation that one only adds one protein at a time.

Right now she is eating whole beef chunks as her main meat. she sometimes gets heart, green tripe and lung along with it. She also gets chicken bone in (but ground up with a meat grinder). I also giver her ground up (bone in) east coast salmon or mackerel every day (easily accessible). For organs she gets liver and kidneys and whatever else is in my "assorted" freezer bag. I tried giving her deer meat. she ate it but did not really like it.

I am sticking to the percentages recomended by Prey model, but have yet to buy a scale so it is only approximate.

Her poops are a little soft with a slimy texture (maybe not enough bone?), but mostly fine. not quite as solid as it should be. she is going once every 24-28 hours and she used to go 2-3 times per day.

Her energy levels seem the same (if not better) and her muscles are thickening (or seem to be... she is too heavy to pick up... she was only 30ish pounds before this lol)

My question is, since everything seems fine, can I still feed her the organs and such? She used to get frozen liver as treats and raw meaty beef bones also (on a weekly basis). Could she possibly be accustomed to the food already? her kibble was a pretty good one for kibble too... so maybe that helps?

Thanks!

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

It sounds to me like congratulations are in order. When my 1st dog had been completely transitioned all I ever did was tweek the organ content.

• Paws likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'd say if all is going well and continues to go well, there's no reason why you can't continue doing what you're doing. Some dogs handle changes like this like pros and others struggle greatly. For that reason, we always suggest starting out slow to prevent any problems. It just sounds like you've got a iron-gut dog! 

If you are to run into any GI upset, I'd go straight to lean, bone in foods and slowly add things back in. 

If you see loose stools you may just need to increase bone content. 

• Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Super! thanks. I was worried there was some other reason to gradually introduce organs. I feel much better now.

I wouldn't say she completely has an iron gut.. she ate a whole apple, stole a meatball from a neighbor, ate some cat food, and got fed "bad" treats by other people all in the same day.... and got a really runny poop... on the floor. ew.

Speaking of that. has anyone had problems with other people? Like going on a walk and they feed your dog a highly processed wheat/corn filled treat? I'm worried that will mess up her transition. Shes so cute that people are always feeding her treats(almost daily). also somebody fed her cheese is that bad?

UPDATE: She had a perfect poop this morning. (after feeding more bone)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I personally wouldn't allow anything other than raw treats to be fed. You don't want to mess up the nutritional balance by letting a lot of other stuff get fed. Ours will pick up small stuff that gets accidently dropped on the floor sometimes, but never actually given other stuff. 

I have never had people, strangers or not just start giving treats to my dogs. It seems like they would at least have the courtsey to ask first. I personally would not allow that. 

• Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I personally wouldn't allow anything other than raw treats to be fed. You don't want to mess up the nutritional balance by letting a lot of other stuff get fed. Ours will pick up small stuff that gets accidently dropped on the floor sometimes, but never actually given other stuff. 

I have never had people, strangers or not just start giving treats to my dogs. It seems like they would at least have the courtsey to ask first. I personally would not allow that. 

Yes I am now taking the avoidance method. I'm driving to a different location for my walks lol. I've made lots of friends since we got our pup. She has lots of doggy friends now too. I don't know how to be assertive with these people though. They really just do not understand and they mean no harm.

I wonder what they't say if i fed their pup a raw piece of chicken for a treat without asking though lol. 

• naturalfeddogs and OwnedBySilly like this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Also I would like to say Shiloh, Emmy, Panda, Akasha, Zuri and Bailey are beautiful doggies.

• Prey Model Raw and OwnedBySilly like this

henrymichael

henrymichael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Mom always said: "Never accept candy or food from strangers."

I say: "Thank you, I'd rather you not feed my dog... besides, she bites."...lol

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, OwnedBySilly and 1 other like this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

That might be a good excuse. or "my dog has allergies" which technically isn't a lie. her natural food is not milk bone.

Actually I told one person I had organs in the fridge... I think he thought i was a serial killer. That might be a good way to deter them too.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I think the idea that you mention that she has allergies is smart. But also keep species appropriate treats on you when you're out and about. So when people reach down to give her a treat, you can stop them and say "here, give her this one instead! She's allergic to so many things and this is her favorite!"

Also I would like to say Shiloh, Emmy, Panda, Akasha, Zuri and Bailey are beautiful doggies.

Thanks!!! They're my girls! 

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

That is a good polite way to approach it!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Keep us posted on how she does! 

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

You might tell these strangers that you feed raw and that their hand would be considered raw food by the dog. ;)

• Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

You might tell these strangers that you feed raw and that their hand would be considered raw food by the dog. ;)

ROFL. and I could add that i like to get free meat when possible.

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Keep us posted on how she does! 

I will.

So far I have noticed she is much more solid. I can hardly pick her up anymore.

Also I finally have a scale. I measured out eight days worth of the perfect balance of meat bones and organs and now her poops are perfect.

I fed her a whole chicken wing the other night. It was the first time she would ever eat a whole piece of meaty bone without being ground. I had to show her the flesh inside to get her to eat it. She chewed it very well, spat it out and chewed again before swallowing it. I used a stick to check her poop in the morning and there was no trace of bone except for a small ~3/4 inch fragment. this normal?

Also she randomly stopped liking liver and kidneys (even frozen bits or mixed in with other meat) so i had to cheat. After freezing them I put a VERY small amount of peanut butter on them and she loved it (It was very against my grain to do this). It was all i could think of. I thought I would replace it with something more healthful. any recommendations? I know some home diets have small amounts of cheese. she is obsessed with cheese, even more so than peanut butter. would this work?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Bone fragments are normal in the beginning. It'll take some time for their bodies to adjust to breaking down whole chunks of bone. I very rarely see bone pieces in my dogs' stools now....they've been raw fed for 5 years. 

I'd offer as much whole meats, and whole raw meaty bones as possible and stay away from ground meats. There's an article about that here:

http://preymodelraw....t-to-ground-r39

Organs cannot be replaced. Cheese is not something species appropriate, not to mention dogs are lactose intolerant. I give mine cheese as the rare treat, but I wouldn't recommend giving it too often. 

As far as her not liking organs, you can try "covering" them up or disguising them but if she ultimately wont eat them no matter what you do....you may have to adopt the shove method. Meaning you have to "pill" her with them. This is what I did with my girls in the beginning. I shoved organs down their throats for years and now they've gotten used to them that they'll eat them without issue. 

If you're feeding small amounts of organs everyday, I'd give the organs first and wait for her to eat them. If she does, then she's earned the rest of her meal. If not....tough love. She gets nothing else to eat until next meal time. Try again. Chances are she will eat them quickly. 

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I know I have a different take on this topic in comparison to others but I like my dog to try everything.  I am not as strict as the rest.  He gets peanut butter kongs and I will use cheese as treats.  I also use kibble as treats (usually high quality though).  I also do feed some ground meat...

I do this because as hard as you try you can't control everything they eat, and that one day they get into something they shouldn't I'd like to think he will be mildly prepared.

From what I've seen/heard dogs that eat strictly raw, tend to have a complete digestive upset when they get just a small amount of kibble.

But I know others don't agree with this rational.

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Bone fragments are normal in the beginning. It'll take some time for their bodies to adjust to breaking down whole chunks of bone. I very rarely see bone pieces in my dogs' stools now....they've been raw fed for 5 years. 

I'd offer as much whole meats, and whole raw meaty bones as possible and stay away from ground meats. There's an article about that here:

http://preymodelraw....t-to-ground-r39

Organs cannot be replaced. Cheese is not something species appropriate, not to mention dogs are lactose intolerant. I give mine cheese as the rare treat, but I wouldn't recommend giving it too often. 

As far as her not liking organs, you can try "covering" them up or disguising them but if she ultimately wont eat them no matter what you do....you may have to adopt the shove method. Meaning you have to "pill" her with them. This is what I did with my girls in the beginning. I shoved organs down their throats for years and now they've gotten used to them that they'll eat them without issue. 

If you're feeding small amounts of organs everyday, I'd give the organs first and wait for her to eat them. If she does, then she's earned the rest of her meal. If not....tough love. She gets nothing else to eat until next meal time. Try again. Chances are she will eat them quickly. 

Thanks for the article. I started with ground meaty bones because I was paranoid at first. I am now much more confident in her bone eating abilities. She really knew what to do with that chicken wing and I was impressed. I was thinking I would slowly replace her ground chicken with whole pieces.

I am curious to know if the ground bones are able to prepare their gut for whole bones, or is it the fragments themselves that cause the gut to digest bones better. I would have thought it would have to do with acidity. I think after this whole chicken is gone, I will start feeding her cuts.

I still think ground is a good alternative if I am travelling though. Can you imagine what my poor grandmother would think of the dog chewing on a raw chicken wing in her house (even on a mat) lol.

As far as the organs go, I have her down to just eating them frozen with only a trace of PB on them. I bet by the end of the week I'll have her eating them plain again.

I know I have a different take on this topic in comparison to others but I like my dog to try everything.  I am not as strict as the rest.  He gets peanut butter kongs and I will use cheese as treats.  I also use kibble as treats (usually high quality though).  I also do feed some ground meat...

I do this because as hard as you try you can't control everything they eat, and that one day they get into something they shouldn't I'd like to think he will be mildly prepared.

From what I've seen/heard dogs that eat strictly raw, tend to have a complete digestive upset when they get just a small amount of kibble.

But I know others don't agree with this rational.

I was actually thinking of this today. they are not wild after all. The only bad things a wolf could get into in the wild are wild things. Maybe they develop tolerances for those while they are pups. But our dogs are not wild. they will get into non-wild things. maybe they need tolerances to those.

Last night she jumped up on the table and ate the cheese off the top of a pizza slice (while we were all ignoring her in the other room). she is always finding something to eat that she shouldn't

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I would also like to add that our VERY old cat is stealing some of her food. He was skinny (and probably close to death) but he is now gaining weight. His bones are not sticking out any more... and this is after about a week of stealing the food.

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I would also like to add that our VERY old cat is stealing some of her food. He was skinny (and probably close to death) but he is now gaining weight. His bones are not sticking out any more... and this is after about a week of stealing the food.

Perhaps the kitty should be put on a raw diet as well?

• Prey Model Raw likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO