Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Went Straight Into Full-Blown Raw Diet.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Perhaps the kitty should be put on a raw diet as well?

Didn't think he'd like it! but I am going to start making him the food too yes! I'm hoping to bring him back to life.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Didn't think he'd like it! but I am going to start making him the food too yes! I'm hoping to bring him back to life.

Raw is the best thing you can do for your cat... seriously. One of my cats has FLUTD so he used to get cystitis flare ups often (thankfully no blockages). Once put on raw, he hasn't had a single flareup. All of my cats' coats are wayyy shinier and softer now, their teeth cleaner, and they're at a much healthier weight (one was kind of boney, the other one was slightly overweight, and now they are both at a good weight). Everyone comments on how muscular they are :)

Just make sure you add plenty of heart in there for your cat (for the taurine)!

• OwnedBySilly and Paws like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
My dogs get a whole wide variety of food regardless of its "appropriateness" to their species.

Veggies, fruit, cheese, yogurt, kibble, pizza, etc.

The only thing I will say is that dogs don't NEED those things to survive. Heck, I don't need pizza either. But they sure do love eating the crusts for me LOL

That said, I wouldn't go introducing a bunch of stuff like above into their diet until they're fully adjusted to eating raw foods of all sorts.

We also feed ground meats- but they don't comprise a large part of the overall diet. Which is what I don't recommend- ground foods shouldn't be a big part or all of what they eat unless there's a health reason behind it.
  • Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Raw is the best thing you can do for your cat... seriously. One of my cats has FLUTD so he used to get cystitis flare ups often (thankfully no blockages). Once put on raw, he hasn't had a single flareup. All of my cats' coats are wayyy shinier and softer now, their teeth cleaner, and they're at a much healthier weight (one was kind of boney, the other one was slightly overweight, and now they are both at a good weight). Everyone comments on how muscular they are :)

Just make sure you add plenty of heart in there for your cat (for the taurine)!

Have 2 beef hearts in the freezer right now :) They are huge! 

Also... it is funny... I also have one skinny cat and one fat cat. I wonder what's happening there lol!

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

My dogs get a whole wide variety of food regardless of its "appropriateness" to their species.

The only thing I will say is that dogs don't NEED those things to survive. Heck, I don't need pizza either. But they sure do love eating the crusts for me LOL

That said, I wouldn't go introducing a bunch of stuff like above into their diet until they're fully adjusted to eating raw foods of all sorts.

We also feed ground meats- but they don't comprise a large part of the overall diet. Which is what I don't recommend- ground foods shouldn't be a big part or all of what they eat unless there's a health reason behind it.

Yes good to know. I am trying to limit her food stealing as much as possible. and for sure, from now on, everything will be whole when possible.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep us posted!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Gimli eats my crusts, too. He also gets carrots, occasional cheese, peanut butter, and french fries. I try not to do it often, unfortunately we've learned his gut is far from cast iron!

• Paws likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Also... it is funny... I also have one skinny cat and one fat cat. I wonder what's happening there lol!

Oh, beef heart was INSANE to cut up for me. I have like 20lbs of it, and I got it before my chest freezer so there was a hilarious game of Tetris in my freezer to get everything to fit. 

Which reminds me that I need to thaw a chunk for more portioning!

• Paws likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I think it has to do with all the carbs but not 100% sure lol.

Anyway, they're both looking WAY better on raw ;) haha at their ideal weights (the skinny one is still kinda skinny but it's because he also has a very high metabolism).

Oh and to add to what everyone is saying -- Yeah I feed my dogs junk food from time to time. When I am training with them I use a lot of processed treats... because I do a lot of training, I try to keep it grain free, but I feed all sorts of things (I make a mix of various treats) lol

• Paws likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Exactly!!
  • Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Just an update:

She decided that she hates her ground up food all together. She also hates organs no matter how i feed her. I have resorted to the recommended method of force feeding organs. She seems ok with that. For the main meats I am feeding her whole chicken parts (according to the amount of bone she needs) and beef chunks. I also feed her goat now sometimes.

She is doing very well. No bone fragments in poop. Only poop problem she had was stuffing from the dog bed she destroyed! 

I have made a spreadsheet for her diet (for making my next batch of food) which has a chicken bone calculator. Tells me how much bone-in chicken meat to feed her on a given day according to the cut (based on percentages from this website)

I also weighed her and found out that I was feeding her too much. This was not an issue since she exercises with me for 1 - 2 hours (hard) every day. I also upped her bone.

Here are her new percentages for a 32ish or something pound dog (shes a runt lol): 

also not that I rounded these numbers up or down slightly based on her preferences and so that I could have easy to remember mass values:

435g of food per day (~3% of her body weight)

220g of muscle meat per day (ends up to be some chicken and some beef some goat) -- ~50.6%

45g of trout,salmon or mackerel per day (not whole most of the time) -- ~10.3%%

45g of tripe per day -- ~10.3%

20g of beef heart (sometimes chicken heart) per day -- ~4.6%

65g of bone per day -- ~15.0%

20 g of liver per day -- ~4.6%

20 g of other secreting organ per day (mostly kidney) -- ~4.6%

Before I go and makeup her next 2 weeks of food in freezer bags, are there any improvements anyone would make? Is this too much bone and not enough meat? note this is a 75:15 rather than the 80:10 meat:bone ratio.

also she may get more than this because she LOVES tripe. I feed it to her as an extra meal because I read (I think on this forum) that it has a good balance of Ca to P. can anyone confirm this?

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I think it has to do with all the carbs but not 100% sure lol.

Anyway, they're both looking WAY better on raw ;) haha at their ideal weights (the skinny one is still kinda skinny but it's because he also has a very high metabolism).

Oh and to add to what everyone is saying -- Yeah I feed my dogs junk food from time to time. When I am training with them I use a lot of processed treats... because I do a lot of training, I try to keep it grain free, but I feed all sorts of things (I make a mix of various treats) lol

My cats will be starting soon. I'm going to use my dogs "wasted" ground up food that she now hates to wean them onto raw. The only problem will be getting our fatty to eat something other than his hard food.

yea it is the carbs. its ridiculous that a cat is eating blueberries and whatnot... wtf does he need blueberries for (pretty sure that's an ingredient in my grain free stuff)

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Oh, beef heart was INSANE to cut up for me. I have like 20lbs of it, and I got it before my chest freezer so there was a hilarious game of Tetris in my freezer to get everything to fit. 

Which reminds me that I need to thaw a chunk for more portioning!

yea my freezer is not quite as organised as a game of tetris... I think it is more like candy crush saga (except organ crush saga)... and it is teetering on the brink of all falling out of the freezer. I'm sure my mom would be pleased to see tripe on the floor... lol

and no i do not play that game in case anyone is judging. >.> 

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Just out of curiosity, are you feeding green tripe or white tripe? I read somewhere that white tripe which is bleached for human consumption, isn't good for dogs (and probably the same goes for humans). I'd like to get some green tripe, but as of yet haven't found anybody that sells it locally.

• Paws likes this

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Just out of curiosity, are you feeding green tripe or white tripe? I read somewhere that white tripe which is bleached for human consumption, isn't good for dogs (and probably the same goes for humans). I'd like to get some green tripe, but as of yet haven't found anybody that sells it locally.

Green tripe.

I found a butcher that has a house right next to a grass fed cow farm (about a 30 min drive away)

He sold it to me for 50 cents per pound (Canadian)

It was beautiful yet disgusting whole cow stomach. I chopped it up in little bits outside and it is now in my freezer.

just the one stomach will last me for a long time

• OwnedBySilly likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Paws, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? If you're in the GTA, I can link you to a website that sells bulk raw, chopped, ground or whole.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
So your proteins are:

Chicken, beef, goat and fish?

If you can, increase the variety of foods you feed. If not, that rotation sounds great.

You've done tons more calculating than I ever have! I use the "eyeball" method LOL

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

My cats will be starting soon. I'm going to use my dogs "wasted" ground up food that she now hates to wean them onto raw. The only problem will be getting our fatty to eat something other than his hard food.

yea it is the carbs. its ridiculous that a cat is eating blueberries and whatnot... wtf does he need blueberries for (pretty sure that's an ingredient in my grain free stuff)

Awesome :D

It'll be easier once you have him on a feeding schedule. Cats are by far the most finicky animals I've ever dealt with (besides my hedgehog lol) :P

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Paws, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? If you're in the GTA, I can link you to a website that sells bulk raw, chopped, ground or whole.

I'm in NS. Have relatives there though :) Maybe it would be useful if I ever went for a long term visit.

Paws

Paws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

So your proteins are:

Chicken, beef, goat and fish?

If you can, increase the variety of foods you feed. If not, that rotation sounds great.

You've done tons more calculating than I ever have! I use the "eyeball" method LOL

Haha I was paranoid about my ratios so I went all OCD with the calculations. Yup those are my proteins now. I have lamb in there too as of today. I'd like to get a hold of some quail and rabbit too.

What about variation in the animal source for the organs? All she gets now is chicken liver or cow liver and cow kidneys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO