Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Dog Died From Raw Food

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

So.....my personal dogs didn't die!!! I just needed a catchy thread starter LOL

Rarely you hear of a dog that died from raw or got really sick. 

Without knowing much of a back story, what is the first thing that comes to mind (other than the obvious thoughts of sorrow and condolences) when you hear stories like that? 

• GimMom likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I have never heard directly of a pet dying from raw food, but mostly I would be curious as to the actual cause ie bacteria, bone issue or what.  I've heard of dogs getting pretty ill, vomiting diarrhea which makes me wonder if there was a allergy to what is being given or enhanced meat or wonder what was fed, how much was given.

• GimMom likes this

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

My first thought would be a greyhound on 4D meat, as its not uncommon to hear a story something like: "12 greyhounds in kennel die from Alabama Rot"

As for a personal dog, I'd be interested to know what part of raw went wrong?

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I just saw a photo shared from an LGD group about a Pyr that died from being fed a barf diet. I dont' know the details but I guess it included septicemia and perforations.  There is a photo of a pile of bones that came from his stomach.  Guess he was fed chicken legs and wings.  I'm thinking they were cooked since its a barf diet? I'm not entirely familiar with it. 

https://www.facebook...&type=1

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Now color me confused but doesn't that seem like an awful lot of bones for supposedly one meal?  Although if you read the thread sounds like the dog was already having issues and puking and she continued to feed.  IDK, my dogs don't get nearly that much bone, even when starting out and why would you give a mastiff chicken wings? 

• OwnedBySilly likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That story has been floating all around FB for the past few days. The whole reason why I posted this thread. 

What it ACTUALLY the raw diet that killed this dog, or was it the lack of knowledge, experience, GOOD advice/method, etc? 

From what I gathered from the story, the dog died due to his owner not feeding raw foods appropriately. 

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Don't nearly all animals that die have at least some stomach contents? Just because there's undigested food/bones in the stomach doesn't mean that's what lead to the animals death. If I eat popcorn shortly before I die, does that automatically point to popcorn being the cause of death because it's found in my stomach? 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

True, but the dog we are talking about had a perforated gut.....meaning the overabundance of bone content in the stomach was astonishing. There was so much bone in there that caused the perforation.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Hmmm.....to me it sounds like a case of  user error.  Of course, there is a risk with raw feeding, but there is also a risk with kibble, treats, chew toys and toys in general. I believe it is VERY rare for raw to be a cause of death considering it's what mother nature designed them for, but sure it could happen. 

Just like mother nature designed horses to eat grass. They can't live without it, but at the same time it can be the cause of their death. Sometimes that comes from user error, and "knowing thy horse". 

• Prey Model Raw and OwnedBySilly like this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

You hear about it a lot in emergency hospitals.  However I think the problem isn't so much that raw food hurt them but rather people don't know how to properly handle food.
Kibble also kills but death by kibble is usually classified as "airway obstruction" or "GI impaction" and such.  

As Jenny said.  Horses are designed to eat grass.  However every now and then a horse may have a problem.  Goats and cows especially may eat rich grass and get VERY sick.  Is it the grass's fault or was it a handling error?

• OwnedBySilly likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I just saw a photo shared from an LGD group about a Pyr that died from being fed a barf diet. I dont' know the details but I guess it included septicemia and perforations.  There is a photo of a pile of bones that came from his stomach.  Guess he was fed chicken legs and wings.  I'm thinking they were cooked since its a barf diet? I'm not entirely familiar with it. 

The thread said the owner kept forcing her dog to eat it's vomit, because thats what the diet is about.  BARF stands for biologically appropriate raw food.  My understanding was that with a BARF diet many ppl will include things like veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt, and fruit...otherwise its very similar to PMR.

I'll be honest, I let my dog eat its puke but only if they want to.  And if my dog was puking pure bones I would just about have a heart attack.  I know this is wrong but the person leading the FB has fed her dogs hills for 36 years.  To me that doesn't scream, I research dog food all the time.

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I do know 2 people that had their dogs get kidney stones.  It wasn't clear if they blamed it on the diet or not, but the solution was to change the diet.  I am not sure if it was a permanent or temporary change.  The one family fed their dogs ground chicken (that's it!!).  The other ground beef and some organs.  

I personally started on raw because the people from the rescue I got Avery from swore by it.  I found out later they were all doing something a bit different, one feeding exclusively OMA's and many feeding some sort of ground mixture.  Not a single person did research outside of the group (ok me and maybe one other person).  Most thought feeding one protein and ground meat was perfectly fine.  After finding my own raw feeding group and realizing that many of the things I was told by the original group was wrong I changed my ways but also opened my mind and realized there is not one right way to feed your dog, but when feeding raw its important to know the basics especially the nutrient content of the meat your feeding.

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Honestly, even if the story was purely due to a chance happening, it wouldn't scare me from raw feeding. I am confident in my choice to feed this diet and I find the risks worth it.  There are risks in EVERYTHING, you just have to weight the odds and figured it out for yourself.  

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I wish people would weigh the long term dangers of feeding kibble before making the decision to feed it. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I wish people would weigh the long term dangers of feeding kibble before making the decision to feed it. 

I think most people don't know, or don't believe there could ever be dangers with kibble. Kibble is "safe".

• Prey Model Raw likes this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

BULL SPIT!!!

First off, look at that bone on the right side of the picture.  A) it is darkened and likely COOKED B )They said they were feeding chicken wings.  That is clearly a femur.  C)  Raw food will come up the same color it went down (unless it is at the end...in that case it will come up as a mess)

• Prey Model Raw and huntersbow2010 like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

True, but the dog we are talking about had a perforated gut.....meaning the overabundance of bone content in the stomach was astonishing. There was so much bone in there that caused the perforation.

They all looked like cooked bones, if it's the same story I'm thinking about. So of course it seems like this silly vet (I think it was a vet that posted it) saying this is raw and raw kills, when clearly the bones are cooked. It's been a long time since I've since bone fragments in Gimli's poop, and he's only four months in. This just feels like the type of propaganda that kibble crazy vets push sometimes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO