Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Where To Go From Here With The Cats

- - - - - kitten raw feeding beginner basic starts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

cindywallis

cindywallis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

ok, I have been feeding raw a looooong time. Dogs for years and cats well we have been feeding the prepackadged ground raw food, company's name is country pet natural. It has worked for all my older cats. We recently have been adopted by a little slice of heaven named Storme (kitten). I have started her off on raw from day one, she found us at 3 weeks old, goats milk at first, then staright to raw. Brand name above. She is now 11 weeks old and no kibble. I need some help on how to keep her diet stable and balanced. I have read so much about dogs and that I have down. But I have been reading about this "taurine" and all.SO now I am concerned that I havent been doing my older guy right either.  I gave her a few bites of the trimming from my thick cut prokchop from Whole Foods tonight and she LOVED it! Any words of wisdom? My partner cant do the little "pinkies" I thought she was going to lose it when I suggested it. Thats out.

Soooo, I think cornish game hens starting tomorrow? and finding some "clean" heart meat will be my goal tomorrow as well. I dont think the baby will have a problem with any of this, but I am concerned with my older boy. He is 9 years old. I gave him some of the pork tonight as well. It was a success. Hoping that the they all do well tomorrow with the cornish game hens and heart meat. What is the ratio for weight with cats, does anyone know?

thank you all for your time

adding a picture. Old man is the guy in the chair, Storme is the on the back of the chair. Sorry its not turned correctly

Attached File  20131017_190548.jpg   65.9KB   0 downloads

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to the community! Raw for cats is very similar to raw for dogs, same overall ratio of meat:bone:organ.....but a few differences to keep in mind:

1) Taurine is essential to live for cats so adding in fresh, whole chunks of heart meat (from a variety of sources) will keep levels at optimum levels. I use organic, free range beef and chicken hearts for my kitties. 

2) Cats need fresh meats, nothing that is stinky that would be ok for dogs to eat would be ok for cats. Fresh foods! 

3) Ground meats can be depleted in overall nutrition so keep ground foods to a minimum. Taurine is especially sensitive to oxygen degradation which is why whole chunks of heart are necessary. 

4) Cats generally need more food per body weight than dogs. It's not uncommon for cats to need 10% of their weight per day depending on the case. I would still start out slow when introducing new things, so 2% is a good place to start. 

• holycrapaiofe likes this

cindywallis

cindywallis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much. I am so happy to have found you on facebook. This site is a blessing. I will move forward as you suggested. Thank you thank you...
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

cindywallis

cindywallis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there any meat I should be especially be careful with? Is all of it ok for cats? And when feeding small poultry, should I break up the bones in the meat? Like if I give the little one a qrt of a quail should I pound the bones? Sorry to bother I know cats are very different than dogs. Dont want to make any major mistakes. Thank you again.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Is there any meat I should be especially be careful with? Is all of it ok for cats? And when feeding small poultry, should I break up the bones in the meat? Like if I give the little one a qrt of a quail should I pound the bones? Sorry to bother I know cats are very different than dogs. Dont want to make any major mistakes. Thank you again.

You don't need to pound the bones :)

My foster kitten was eating half a quail bones and all at 7 weeks old.

Here's a video:

I would pound the meat with a cleaver if it was like, a chicken leg or something, but quails have such thin/small bones it shouldn't be an issue.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Agreed with taquitos.....pounding out the bones isn't necessary unless the bones are fairly large. Like with my kittens, I started them out on cornish game hens and had to pound the leg bones at first but the rest of the bones they did great with. Now they're able to get through bigger bones since they're getting bigger.

The meat I would stay away from is ground meat of any kind if you can help it. While ground meats can be fairly reasonable in price, they have lower levels of nutrients. Adding ground meat in is ok, as long as you offer tons of other stuff with it AND you know its fresh. Like when I make kitty food, I chop up all kinds of whole meats, bone in stuff and add some fresh ground stuff to act like "glue" to hold it all together. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kitten, raw feeding, beginner, basic starts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO