Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bagging Night

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I still have tons of organ meals left from my last batch, so I just bought bone/muscle meat this time around.

We're trying a different way of splitting the meat this time around. We found the small plastic containers to be incovenient for awkwardly shaped things, and it took up too much space in our tiny freezer, so we decided to split the food into 3 day portions for each animal.

This time we got the following:

- Pork heart

- Pork tongue

- Pork ribs

- 2 whole mature chickens (for $2.45!!! SOOOO CHEAP MY GOODNESS)

- Chicken feet (recreational chews)

- Chicken hearts

- Turkey wings

- Duck necks

- Pickerel

- Beef cubes

I just had a question though -- Does anyone know what the bone content of a pickerel is? Couldn't find any info on it anywhere hmph.

Aaaanyway... picture :)

1378337_10153444832655657_793256022_n.jp

1383908_10153444832805657_1012107642_n.j

1383700_10153444765060657_1369400653_n.j

1374199_10153444777995657_748410492_n.jp

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Calvinhalp like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Wow, nice load of meat! Where did you get it from?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If pickerel is a fish, I'd suspect the bone content to be fairly low. Are they a fatty cold water fish? 

You are far more organized than me LOL

We've also gotten away from using containers for most things. Kitchen trash bags have replaced containers since when when we butcher we leave legs whole- our freezers are full of 15-30 pound animal legs LOL

• naturalfeddogs likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Wow, nice load of meat! Where did you get it from?

I got my meat from a local Asian grocery store (where I usually get the meat). I'm working on getting enough people to order with me for ordering through your supplier right now though!

If pickerel is a fish, I'd suspect the bone content to be fairly low. Are they a fatty cold water fish? 

We've also gotten away from using containers for most things. Kitchen trash bags have replaced containers since when when we butcher we leave legs whole- our freezers are full of 15-30 pound animal legs LOL

Yeah I'm not too sure lol I know they live in lakes around here so I guess they are cold water fish :P They're quite boney but it doesn't seem like a lot of bone. I've decided to bag them with extra bone just in case.

I would imagine that 30 lbs animal leg would last me a whole month with Meeko LOLOL

Thanks lol I am not organized with most things, but with raw meat I sure am! It's funny because recently my boyfriend purchased an electronic kitchen scale for us and we were both so excited to actually be able to use it this time LOL We've also started a little journal to figure out what we've been feeding, how the dogs are doing, etc. :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

You and me both sista!  I simply do not have the time.  Kitchen bags/grocery bag and whole pieces are how we roll ;) 

I envy those with time! I'd love to be more organized but it just isn't going to happen.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

You and me both sista!  I simply do not have the time.  Kitchen bags/grocery bag and whole pieces are how we roll ;)

I envy those with time! I'd love to be more organized but it just isn't going to happen.

Our dogs go through so much meat in one day that it really doesn't make sense for me to break down every leg/spine/ribcage into individual meals for them all.

The day we butcher doesn't take that long because I leave things in larger chunks. I then do a small amount of prep each day to break down those larger chunks. 

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Our dogs go through so much meat in one day that it really doesn't make sense for me to break down every leg/spine/ribcage into individual meals for them all.

The day we butcher doesn't take that long because I leave things in larger chunks. I then do a small amount of prep each day to break down those larger chunks. 

Exactly! I just fill a large tub with various parts and bags of meat, let it defrost and divide it up for that night.  I also find this method more efficient for us because it allows me to adjust for them as needed.  Need more bone? No problem :) *digs into tub*

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I bag all my meat proteins separately, turkey goes in a bag, and then a container in the freezer, same for beef heart and other meats. I think when I thaw the salmon next week, I might put them in containers I've been collecting so I don't have to touch the freakin' thing and can just dump it in his bowl. I need to buy tongs. I wish I had more time to sort and prepare individual meals, but by the time I'm finished other chores, I'm too damn lazy to!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Sprocket and PMR ... How big are the portions you bag up? PMR, I know you feed 3 million pounds of dog ( :P ) so that works, but with my 160# between two dogs, would that work for me? Would I bag up 12 ish #, which works out to 4 days of food ..... Am I missing something painfully obvious here? I liked the idea of containers, but if you guys say it doesn't work for you, I won't even waste my time ... Can I just throw the meat out of bags in the freezer? :) I'll just feed the boys 90# of meat once a month, that works, right? lol (so kidding on the last two ideas!!) :D

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I bag 15-20 pounds each which is one day of food. In the summer I will pull out one day at a time but in the colder weather I'll pull out a weeks worth to thaw slowly.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I've pretty much gotten away from containers as well. Large chunks of deer legs and rib cages are in trash bags in the freezer. All the boneless is in ziplocks, and that seems to save a lot of space in the freezer. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I have been stocking up on grocery bages, big and small. :) Right now my huge haul of beef is in garbage bags, in the shed. Still isn't above freezing yet! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO