Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Just Told My Vet.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

So I work as a veterinary hospital.  We have 3 vets on staff. I love them all.  

Tonight I was talking with one of them about a dream I had and the dream included raw feeding so I just thought, screw it, and I said "I feed my dogs a raw diet".  I told her the dream which was about how the owner wanted my dogs quarantined  :startle:  because they are raw fed and then fired me for it.

Afterwards we talked about the diet and I told her how long I had been feeding them and how we do it.  She asked a TON of questions. She most just said "As long as its nutritionally balanced and you are good about prep and cleaning, I don't see why it would be a problem.  Just make sure your cat gets taurine".  I told her about all my "raw feeding friends" that I had to talk to about any issues I have, all research I've done and how long we have fed the diet.  

I am SOOOOO relieved that she took it so well.  We also talked about minimal vaccinations.  We recently changed out protocol at work and are now vaccinating for distemper and parvo every 3 years.  She said "I don't see why we vaccinate if there is no reason to."

YAY! :rock:

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal and 2 others like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Lol I didn't realize they didn't know, glad the vet didn't give you a bad time about it though.  My vet knew my ferrets eat raw but this spring was the first checkup since all the dogs were on raw and she and the techs didn't blink an eye when they asked what they were fed and I admitted it.  It's silly that we stress about it really but I still haven't and most likely won't ever tell the local vet because they are ornery about my vaccination stance and up Hills ass, I could almost see them refusing to treat my animals due to the raw diet because they are just ridiculous like that.  Hence why we drive 2.5 hours to see a vet I love, trust,  can talk to, it's definitely best to be open and honest.  My mom just brought her animals down to my vet rather than use the one in town as well, she was so happy my vet asked if they wanted something done instead of just doing it. 

• GimMom and OwnedBySilly like this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Lol I didn't realize they didn't know, glad the vet didn't give you a bad time about it though.  My vet knew my ferrets eat raw but this spring was the first checkup since all the dogs were on raw and she and the techs didn't blink an eye when they asked what they were fed and I admitted it.  It's silly that we stress about it really but I still haven't and most likely won't ever tell the local vet because they are ornery about my vaccination stance and up Hills ass, I could almost see them refusing to treat my animals due to the raw diet because they are just ridiculous like that.  Hence why we drive 2.5 hours to see a vet I love, trust,  can talk to, it's definitely best to be open and honest.  My mom just brought her animals down to my vet rather than use the one in town as well, she was so happy my vet asked if they wanted something done instead of just doing it. 

My dogs haven't been in to see them so I didn't have a reason to tell them.  So many times I've just wanted to blurt it out but I didn't :P  Yesterday I was speaking with a coworker about the dogs getting sick from the treats, and how I make my own instead.  She ran over to where we keep info sheets and took out a "Dog Treat Recipe" paper.  I just said, "Oh cool, but I like to keep mine single ingredient treats".  

The vet and I also talked about treats and I told her I make my own.  Then later I mentioned that I do buy some treats and she poked fun at me for buying something "processed in another place". :lol:

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
It's a total relief to get stuff like that off your chest. I know from experience!

I'm glad she was asking questions though....means she is interested in learning more. The vets I work with all know I raw feed. One of them is totally supportive, one is ok with it and understands basic concepts and the third is clueless and scared about it, refuses to learn more because its "just too hard" LOL
  • GimMom likes this

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I actually got a huge response from my vet when she found out I fed raw. I brought in the pictures of before and after with Leia (if you check this post here on my blog you can see what she was seeing.) She wasn't resistant to it, but extremely interested in what might have caused the changes in her teeth. My vets always been anti-scummy teeth and will tell you "Your dogs teeth are disgusting!" if they're really gross and brown. I gave her a copy of my photos and blood panels, so we'll see what she does with it. :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's an awesome vet right there! My previous one was an idiot. It's why I want to be a vet tech, I've SEEN some of what's out there in Toronto and I flip out. I've been fortunate enough to find a Toronto Raw Feeding group on Facebook, and the Admin is now a friend and has recommended her vet that is pro-raw.

It's actually a REALLY funny story of how I became friends with her, too. I usually walk through this rich neighborhood near my salon on the way to the bus. I ran into this dude who was walking an insanely gorgeous Dogo. Talked and found out he feeds raw, too. Said it was his girlfriend's dog, but they'd adopted a female and feed her raw, too. The dog I just met was named Optimus Prime (perfect! lol). Fast forward and I join the TRF group, and start talking to her and she recommends her vet and says "Say Amy and Optimus Prime send you!". WTF. I asked her details about her dog and perhaps her boyfriend, turns out I met her dog before I'd met her. Craziness! Really cool chick, too! So glad I'm finding more people like this here, now I have a reasonably priced pro-raw vet to check out as well as new meat sources and friends!

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Haven't been to work since that conversation just as I clocked out on friday....kind of apprehensive about going to work today!

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I don't think she told anyone! She must like me  :P

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ahaha nice, avoiding awkwardness is always good!

This is something I fear when/if I get calls back from the clinics I'm applying to. I applied to one I KNOW is raw supportive, but I don't know how many others there are.

Warrickthedane

Warrickthedane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH
Wait.. What's wrong with telling the vet you feed raw? I'll go in there with my head high, watch me.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Oh....you'll most likely be hit with a brick wall of opposition and skepticism. Might even be hit with a little disgust, hatred and condescending attitude depending on your vet. There is a slight chance that your vet will be indifferent or oblivious and an even slimmer possibility is that your vet is supportive, knowledgeable and experienced with raw feeding. 

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I work for a horse only vet clinic, and the three older permanant vets are indifferent about my raw feeding and have just not cared one way or another. Our intern, on the other hand, she about had a heart attack when I said something to her about it. Another one of the assistants gave me a bunch of deer meat out of her freezer for the dogs and the intern overheard. "Wait, Jenny, are you feeding your dogs ONLY raw meat???" LOL! I said "Oh no, I add raw edible bones and organs too". LOL! I knew what was coming. She said "Thats so dangerous for them!" We discussed it briefly, but neither of us got anywhere with each other. We just had to agree to disagree, haven't brought it up again and we are just as good of friends now as we were before! LOL!  :thumbsu:  Just goes to show, it's all vets, not just small animal vets who don't know anything about it. 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

My old vet in New York was surprisingly supportive. My mom's dog, Bambi, was always a little on the thin side (no matter her diet) and one time he asked how many cups we fed her. My dad was with me and was quick to say "Oh, she feeds them a raw diet, they just get meat" and my heart sank, haha. But the vet was just like "maybe try feeding a bit more" and I responded that I would try giving fattier cuts like pork. He agreed that it seemed like a good idea and then the conversation moved on.

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, GimMom and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

My old vet in New York was surprisingly supportive. My mom's dog, Bambi, was always a little on the thin side (no matter her diet) and one time he asked how many cups we fed her. My dad was with me and was quick to say "Oh, she feeds them a raw diet, they just get meat" and my heart sank, haha. But the vet was just like "maybe try feeding a bit more" and I responded that I would try giving fattier cuts like pork. He agreed that it seemed like a good idea and then the conversation moved on.

Must be nice to have such a supportive vet! I wish I could find one.So far, a no go. :notfair:

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

So far, the vets I work for haven't given me crap about raw feeding, even with having the stomach issue. I think they're on the understanding side, I have explained that this is pretty much the only diet that's ever worked for my dog. One said you gotta do what you gotta do, so that's a relief!

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

All the vets I work for now are cool about it. Two of them really don't understand it, but they know that I'm experienced and knowledgeable. The third understands it and recommends it. 

• naturalfeddogs, GimMom and Jordann like this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Well its been a while and I do not believe that the other 2 vets know yet.  Most of my coworkers know and find it fascinating.  A client actually brought me a bunch of venison for the dogs too! 

• naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal, GimMom and 1 other like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Very cool!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Well its been a while and I do not believe that the other 2 vets know yet.  Most of my coworkers know and find it fascinating.  A client actually brought me a bunch of venison for the dogs too! 

Sounds like a good start!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I was thinking of this post today. Took the boys in to get them weighed. I don't normally talk to them about what the boys eat, as it's easier to avoid the topic, because this is the form I believe in feeding them. Well, today we went in at a slow time, so the vet was sitting in the waiting room. He watched me weigh the boys (Calvin is down to 64.8 (not happy) and Tank is down to 80.8 (works for me)) then asked if I was still feeding them just chicken and livers. I laughed and told him I actually have moved onto more than just chicken, and have just started to introduce livers into their diet.

He actually listened to me, and asked a few questions!!!!! He said he could tell whatever I was doing is working for the boys and to keep it up, but also to make sure I get a good rotation in for them. I wanted to hug him for being so open minded all of the sudden! Think I was smiling the whole way home. lol

I wonder if they are becoming more open minded to it, because it is getting more and more popular? Or a fad as I have seen it called sometimes. lol I'll happily stick with this "fad" the rest of my life, if it means having healthier animals! :)
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO