Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raw Fed Betta Experiment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I've always supplemented my fish with a large variety of frozen food, but I've decided to try one of my fish on a completely raw diet in order to see what happens. I thought I'd post here to help keep track.

Sunchaser is a betta that I bred myself, and my absolute favorite. He's a gorgeous gold color and looks like he got picked out of a sunset and then plopped into water. He was born July 4, 2013.

My plan is to feed him a rotating schedule of Brine Shrimp, Blood Worms, Daphnia, Tubifex worms, and a bit of "Emerald" which is an algae mix. The end goal is to see if feeding him food will extend his life beyond the average lifespan of 3 years, and also to see if it improves his intelligence/bubble nest size etc.

Will update eventually. :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Interesting.  I recently was considering getting another betta, had one a few years ago that lived to 4 and only ate pellets but he was in a nice planted 2.5 gallon, filtered, heater, regular water changes.  My sister kills about one a year.  My current fish eat a lot of frozen food, I just ordered a bunch of silversides and krill for my pirahna and they already get fish fillets from the store.  They get hikari pellets once a week or so though.  My smaller fish, fresh and saltwater eat mysis, brine, plankton, cyclops and stuff like that, I had about 10 different kinds of pellets I'd accumulated and mixed them altogether and feed on the days they don't get frozen.  Really the ingredients of fish pellets are close to dog food sometimes. 

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Was he store bought? If so, he might have been closer to 5-6 when he died! I've noticed that bettas kept by excellent fish keepers tend to live this long, and I think it has more to do with the heat/fltration/water changes than the food. It'll be interesting to find out though.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Yeah I got him at the local store.  Now we have a pet store again finally and I kind of looked at hers but I think I would like a breeder betta instead if I get another, I have a buddy who breeds fish who could probably get me a nicer one.  He does mostly saltwater but seems to be moving back into a lot of freshwater fish too. 

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Interesting, good luck!

I fed my betta frozen foods only, since that was what the breeder recommended. Unfortunately he jumped out of the tank (I had a lid, but he pushed it aside!) and my cat go to him before I did, so he didn't get very old. I've also kept dwarf puffers, and with those guys you do not have a choice, you HAVE to feed them raw foods. Clever guys. ;)

The only fish I have right now are some shell-dwellers, and I feed them mostly frozen and live foods.

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Bogart -- Sorry to hear that. I've never had a fish jump from a tank, but when I was a kid I'd put the bettas in a coffee cup while I completely dumped out all the water and refilled it. One time my betta Admiral jumped out and was on the floor 20 minutes before I finally found him. He lived, miraculously, and we had a fish-loving cat also.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I'd love to see a picture of your betta!

We need to get more frozen and raw foods for our bettas....

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Bogart would you mind pm'ing me any info on dwarf puffers you think is important to know?  I actually was just looking into them, used to have a toby puffer in my saltwater tank and found him very endearing.  I seem to be having the itch to set up more tanks for some reason.  My betta never jumped and was in an uncovered tank, now I have a bunch of guppies in my little freshwater tank, didn't realize they are jumpers until I found 3 dried out around the tank and now I've had two different brand new heaters spazz out and kill a couple fish each time, all the pet store guppies are fine and almost all the prettier breeder culls died or jumped.  Got a lid on now anyways. 

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

sunchaser.jpg

• Prey Model Raw and GoingPostal like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators