Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So I've Been Applying To Vet Clinics

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have one, so do three other people I work with. As long as they aren't super visable or offensive it will probably be fine. Our secretary has several, and one is on the back of her shoulder. Every now and then, depending on what top she is wearing you can see just one side of it,  and not a word has ever been said. We do have a very relaxed, family like atmosphere at my work,  but I'm willing to bet it won't be an issue for you at all.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I actually wasn't too worried about them at all, since they're all animal-related. The veterinarian at the second interview thought my paw prints were cute and I mentioned my sleeve, she didn't seem to have an issue with it. I've only ever had one job where I had to cover them, and that was the pharmacy that I worked at as a cashier (it was small and independent) in the same building where my doctor is....which is 10 minutes from my salon. Ahaha. She was horrible to work for anyway, thought her rich customers would not like them, when in fact the customers always seemed to love them when they caught a peek if my sleeve rode up.

I plan to get more, I hope none of them mind, but I've got a lot more "canvas" to cover, ahaha

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The tattoos on my back are visible just around the neckline of my scubs. 

Most of the clinics I've worked at allow tattoos, even on arms and hands. I think if you got your face tattooed that would be an issue though LOL

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Not looking to go THAT crazy, LOL! I'm keeping it below the neck (except for some paws that will trail up my hairline behind my ear eventually).

Good news is that I have a trial run at the clinic I interviewed at this morning, next Monday for 3 hours. Woohoo! Even better that it takes literally no time to get to since it's near the subway.

I took a resume over to a clinic near my apartment and I'm doing more tomorrow, since there's a few along my road. 

*Happy dance*

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I feel like there's going to be a battle of clinics and you'll be able to take your pick of the best one(s)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yup, because I. Am. On. A. Roll!

Took a couple of resumes downtown with me today to drop off, dropped one at Bathurst Dupont Animal Hospital, which is a 15-20 minute walk from my place, and they called back about a half hour later to offer me an interview.

THIS is the one I want. Good vibes for BDAH, plz! The clinic is GORGEOUS inside, looks like it was recently renovated, and sooooo close that I wouldn't have to buy a transit pass every month. 

I'm hoping you're right, and I have 4 clinics fighting over me! LOL

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
It can be a good bargaining chip!

"Oh.....well, all five other clinics are offering me $3 more per hour. Can you match that?"

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

What do Assistants/Reception usually get paid? I'd be happy if it's at least a few dollars over minimum wage. Anything is better than the salon, no more hair! :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I'd say starting pay is ~$10 per hour
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's just below minimum wage in Ontario, so I might start at that rate. Still, I'd rather make less and be happy than make more and be miserable :P

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Well. my first working interview went well. The only mistake I made was leaving a cat alone on the exam table (which she didn't make a big deal about, just said try not to do it again), but otherwise I had a great day. Got to assist with a cat neuter (holding the O2 mask), and also with an exam today on a senior dog who needed massive dental work (canines were brutal) and held him (while he peed on me) during an anal gland expression.

She'll be calling back with the next shift, and then I have a working interview with a different clinic Monday, and one more interview with another clinic Tuesday (which is the one I want, though if Toronto Central (the one I did today) wants me, I have no issue working there either. Wheeeee :P

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Going back to Toronto Central next Wednesday for a 2nd working interview! :D

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

:thumbsu:  :goodjob:  :thumbsu:  :goodjob:  :thumbsu:  :goodjob:

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yay!!!! So happy for you!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks, ladies! I'm excited!

I'm still stoked that I got to see a cat neuter. It's been a LONG time, and the DVM definitely does it differently than the vet I worked with in high school! And I was thrilled to be in scrubs again, takes the guess work out of having to get dressed for work in the morning, LOL

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Congrats! :) I worked in a vet's kennel for 8 weeks. I put in my two week notice after my two favorite dogs (one was 9 months and leaked urine, and one was 4-5 years old and bit his owner multiple times) were euthanized. The puppy was the hardest for me, because hubby and I wanted to give him a home but the vet that did the euthanizing didn't know I wanted him, until after the deed was done. I would love to go back and work at a vet though! My friend works at the one in town and I always get calls to help with c-sections, but I'm always working. Makes me sad. One day I'll be able to help though! lol

Can't wait to see which vet you choose! :)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks! I'm about to do my second working interview at the second clinic I interviewed at on Wednesday (Riverdale), and Bathurst Dupont (the one I want) called this morning and offered a working interview for tomorrow from 830-12. Then I have my third working interview with Toronto Central. Either one of those I would love, but for me it goes: 1st - Bathurst Dupont, 2nd - Riverdale, 3rd - Toronto Central. 

I might be doing my last perm this week! I hope, anyway. Someone hire me, dammit.

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
They will. I have faith :)
  • GimMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Can't wait to hear how all the working interviews went/go!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Oy! It's been nuts, I was up at 5:30am to be at Riverdale for 7:30am. It went well, I get along well with the staff and there was no shortage of work to do, so it actually flew by fast. I'm going back there next Tuesday and Wednesday (Wednesday is another 7:30am shift, which I actually don't mind at all). Monday I have another training interview with Toronto Central from 10-3, so my only day off next week is Sunday. Regardless of how freakin' exhausted I am, I'm enjoying myself. I still had to go to the salon after today's shift at Riverdale and spend 2+ hrs doing a perm. 

Hoping to stay awake long enough to celebrate my better half's birthday today. I promised him a lasagna, and I delivered. Super girlfriend right he....*snore*

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO