Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So I've Been Applying To Vet Clinics

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Congratulations!!!! So happy for you Deb. Glad the ladies you work with took it well.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks! Funny enough, I got job offers from the other two, but I think I'm going to go with my gut and stick with my first choice. I really like the people there and I think that's what counts. 

It's kind of nice to have about two weeks off right now, too. Especially since one of them, my boyfriend will be off as well. Woot! I have free time for once!

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

AWESOME!!!!! Congrats to you!!! :goodjob:

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Update! 

Had my first week, just worked two days but they were the sweet morning shift I coveted (7:30am-3:30pm). Both days went pretty smoothly and they seem to like me. I definitely think I made the right choice (though I know it's early yet :P ), but I really like the two vets I've worked with (haven't worked with the third yet), and the techs and assistants are very helpful. 

I am so glad I made this change. I actually look forward to work, even if I'm up at 6am getting ready. The animals ease my anxiety so even when I make mistakes, I don't sweat it nearly as much (minor ones, that is. I'd feel bad if I made a huge mistake, of course!) as I did as a hairstylist.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement, it definitely helped me in the crazy moments! <3

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yay!!! Glad you like the job. What kind of stuff are you doing now?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Glad your first week went so well! Its nice having the afternoon off! I bet Gimli is happy mama is home more, now!

Will it always be the morning shift, or will they rotate you through all of the shifts?

So happy for you!!! :D

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm doing the usual cleaning stuffs, helping the vets with the animals during exams, answering phones, giving meds and all the good stuff. I am really loving it! 

I have an afternoon shift on Monday, working 2-10, but then I get another morning shift. I don't mind rotating, but I do prefer the mornings. But yeah, Gimli is loving my part time status, too. He's barely alone for long anymore, can't argue with that! :P

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
When I was working in the dispatch center, I always loved the night shifts ... Better things happened, and didn't have to deal with admin lurking around, not having a clue what we did. lol

Let us know how the shift goes today!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yesterday was kind of sad, there was a GSD mix that had been hospitalized for a little while before I first started, and on my second day last Friday, he was chugging water like you wouldn't believe. He was there because he couldn't walk and was having bathroom issues and they couldn't figure out what it was. Took a turn for the worse on Sunday, and while I was holding another pet in the adjoining room, I heard the techs say he was vomiting blood and maybe 3 minutes later, the vet came into the room and said he was gone. Three deaths since I've been there. It takes some getting used to, but I do notice I'm a lot stronger than I was 15+ years ago. Aside from that, I'm having a great time there and fitting in well. I seem to make them laugh a lot, funny runs in my family :P I definitely prefer the morning shift, but either is good as long as I'm working :)

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The death part of the job is always the hardest....but death is a part of life and thus being in the vet profession we help animals and people in that hardest part of their life. It does take some getting used to. And I'm still not used to it.

• GimMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So sad, but at least he didn't die alone.

So happy you are fitting in so well!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, I know at least two assistants and a tech were watching him, so he knows he was being looked after. I just feel bad for the owner. He was also huge, and it took three of us to bring him to the freezer. I'm going to take good care of my monster to hopefully ensure he never ends up dying like that. :(

But it's definitely feeling good there. I think the best part is that with all the experience in different salons, it gave me a chance to be more picky about where I choose to work and I think that paid off. :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Workers and supervisors are important factors of working somewhere! I have a few bad apples, but for the most part, everyone else makes up for the "others" :)
  • GimMom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO