Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Weasel Crew-Graphic Pics

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I decided to switch my ferrets after reading on the holistic ferret forum for awhile and after my first ferret was diagnosed with insulinoma, a disease with a strong link to carbs in their diet.  HFF mentors people through switching their ferrets since they have to be convinced meat is food in most cases.  I originally switched a group of four, three have passed on over the years and I took in a new male about a year ago and switched him right off.  Mine eat a lot of whole prey, mice and quail mostly right now but also rabbit, rats, guinea pigs.  Plus just about anything else, chicken, turkey, grouse, duck, lamb, goat, pork, venison, beef. 

march2011002.jpg

ferretsraw006.jpg

ferretsraw019.jpg

ferretsjune2011024.jpg

IMG_1592_zps334a8acb.jpg

• lovemypits likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My heart just exploded! They're adorable, I LOVE ferrets. I just showed my boyfriend, he didn't realize they can be PMR too.

They definitely look like they're enjoying themselves. What are they eating in the third pic?

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Guinea pig.  Whole prey is their absolute favorite.  Most people are really surprised they eat meat but once you get them to realize it's food mine went to town on just about anything, they don't really care for beef and red meats in general are less liked although they love goat and lamb. 

• GimMom likes this

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I wish I knew about raw feeding when I had my ferrets, I love those little things, but unfortunately I can't have them anymore, my crew views them as prey,  PMR food....  LOL

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
This is so cool!!! Ferrets are great little animals....we've thought about adding them to the farm....hmmmm
  • naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Can't say I'm a big fan of ferrets but they are cute :) I love the way you hook it up so they can't stash it somewhere! :D

• GoingPostal likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Since mine aren't caged preventing stashing is important, they love it if you give them a shoebox or similar sized container they can go hide and eat in.  Stuff like mice always ends up in tunnels or boxes. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

This is so cool!!! Ferrets are great little animals....we've thought about adding them to the farm....hmmmm

I've been working here and there on Shane. I was going to work in a salon last year, and the owner had two in the back in a huge cage. Dexter and Ash. They were adorable. I did not care for his tarantula, however. *shudder*

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,280 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

We have one ferret, but I have never had any luck getting her to eat anything raw. Like a cat, you can't fast them, so I haven't ever really pushed the issue on her. I've offered it to her but all she has ever done is sniff but never eat it. You are so lucky you were able to get yours to go raw! 

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Does she eat any soft food?  It's a good idea to have a nutritious soft diet for ferrets in case they get ill anyways and that's how most get switched over to raw.  Hannibal my new guy didn't come with any kibble and I wasn't going to spend $25 on a bag of that crap so I used freeze dried raw I had (re-hydrated it) and hand fed him for a couple days until he ate it on his own and then added raw mush until he was eating chunks, only took about 2 weeks actually although a little longer before he'd eat any of the whole prey.  I was a little stressed about taking him in because he was obviously eating kibble and I don't have any in the house but it worked out really well. 

When I originally switched my group of 4 it took about a month, they already ate canned cat food as a treat so I just used that, usually takes 2-3 times of me grabbing them and putting some in their mouth before they realize it's not poison.  I'm glad my cat just willingly started eating raw though, seems like they can be the hardest to switch.  Picky fussy buggers. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Hey raw ferret peeps! I have a friend with three she just switched over, and she's curious what cuts of meat she can feed them. Obviously whole prey is fine, they have a snake they feed rats to every 3 weeks. Right now I think they're on a pre-made raw and I guess I'm wondering how she would introduce a more PMR style diet to them. 

Thanks! :)

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

If they are eating a ground food already, just take any boneless meat she wants and throw it in a food processor to make it mush and add it to the mix a little at a time, once they've accepted that well slice the meat into tiny little fingernail sized pieces instead and same deal, mix it in and then just increase chunk size.  To get them on bone in use poultry bones, wing tips are usually well eaten, game hen or quail is perfect as most will eat it well and the bones are very soft but they can also be smashed up with a hammer first.  As far as what's suitable, most bird or rabbit bones are fine, unless they are larger animals, I'd often feed the legs/wings/breast to my cat and ferrets and the spine/head/back to my dogs in that case.  I also feed a lot of whole prey. 

Oh and be aware they won't eat as much on prey model raw, on a ground or soup they will just gorge because it's easy, they are lazy and I see a lot of pretty fat ground meat fed ferrets. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks, I'll let her know. Apparently her large ferret has had drumsticks before with no problem, and this morning she gave them some beef heart that I donated to her. So I picked up some chicken hearts, pork heart and drummies for her this afternoon and she's going to try them on some of that. Her cats are LOVING raw, she transitioned her kitten (Phoebe, 9 weeks) and her older cat (Gypsy, 1yr) with no problem at all, they were chowing on beef heart this morning, too. :) I wish my cats were that easy! :P

• GoingPostal likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

My kitty is a Gypsy too!  She's a mean old bitch but she took right to raw surprisingly, cats seem like the hardest to switch in most cases. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, from what it sounds like, they're adjusting rather well. They were both chowing on chicken hearts yesterday and she was so excited hahaa

• GoingPostal likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Our last cat switched to homemade ground stuff amazingly quick .... This brat now doesn't think anything but kibble is food .... Although, the other night she took a few licks of my ice cream bowl.

Our old cat loved everything we ate .... Especially pineapple! Maybe the next cat will transition more readily. I have almost completely given up on this cat ever switching. She HATES wet food too. This cat is odd. lol

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I totally want to get ferrets, and I guarantee they will be raw beasts. If we get any more cats after my old, stubborn ladies go, they'll get raw as soon as we get them at 8 weeks. This will be a totally kibble free home!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Glad I'm not the only one who has a cat that sucks and refuses to do what is good for her.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Shane says it's typical that MY cat is that stubborn, LOL :P

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO