Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Shedding A Lot

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

anyone else with bully breeds have dogs who seem to shed all year and quite a bit, Babs and Macy do not shed as much as Capone, but still seem to shed a lot,  Babs & Macy have been raw fed for about a year and a half, Capone for just 6 months, his hair is every where especially his blankets and in the car, the short little hair get stuck its a nightmare

Is it a bully thing?  Is he missing something or just because he is still new to raw?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The Dane ladies shed year round. I think it has more to do with their coat type than their diet. While sometimes they shed more during the "detox phase" I don't think that shedding in general is an indication of poor nutrition. 

• lovemypits likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Idk Avery sheds like nothing I've ever seen before. Those ppl that think short haired dogs don't shed or that their is less to clean up are wayyyyy off!!! I have practically given up on my floors. I do a big clean every once and a while and the next day the hair is back...in two it looks like it did before the cleaning. His shedding is the #1 reason he no longer sleeps with me. I really can not stand the fur.

He definitely sheds more some time and less others, but it's relentless!

My next dog will be a shih tzu lol! I'm only kidding but now I understand why my parents NEEDED the non-shedding dog.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I've fostered several pits and it really depends on each dog I find. My last dog shed quite a bit (AmStaff-x).

You could try adding fish oil to the diet and see if it helps? Also try brushing regularly.

Honestly I wouldn't worry as long as he doesn't have patches of fur missing :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
one of my aussies seems to shed year round. I can use an undercoat rake on him in the middle of the summer and get as much hair almost as in the spring.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

None of my dogs really shed a lot imo, they do go through a couple cycles every year where it's noticeable though.  Ripley when I got her shed a ton, it was everywhere but thankfully that has cut down hugely. 

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
You guys are so lucky. I really find dog hair everywhere. I have to have special clothes to lay on the couch, esp with Avery. And there is hair in every crevice of my apt.
  • lovemypits likes this

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

You guys are so lucky. I really find dog hair everywhere. I have to have special clothes to lay on the couch, esp with Avery. And there is hair in every crevice of my apt.

My house too, and god you should see the seats in our truck, Capone's red hair is EVERYWHERE,   I am doomed no matter what I wear too, we have black, brown, red and white hair every where so nothing is safe 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

There's even Dane hair embedded in the ceiling of my Subaru Outback LOL

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I noticed my bully puppy is starting to have little patches of fur missing on her hind legs. She is currently only eating chicken quarters and fish oil. I've had her on a raw diet for about a month now. What could it be?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Time to add in other proteins in.

It could also be demodex mange. Has she seen a vet for it yet?
  • Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO