Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Maryland

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

cowleyms

cowleyms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Good Morning all! I am getting an 8 week old Presa puppy Jan 25th and I am researching everything I can about feeding raw. I am so confused though as to what I should start with, where to get it, when to implement organs, when to implement new meats, and whether i should use supplements or not. The puppy will be a working pup. I plan on pursuing Schutzhund with him and other working titles. I would like to get into weight pulling as well. I am just so scared that raw will not give him the necessary nutrients he needs as a growing pup. I can understand later switching to raw, but what about growing from 8weeks to a year? please someone help me!!

Michael

I can send you my email or phone number and we can chat that way if it would beeasier.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

You can def start a pup off on raw right away. You will probably be feeding 4-6% of his body weight.

There's a guide on here for starting PMR, but here's a link to a handy PDF file if you are a newbie to raw.

http://www.chancesli...-model-raw.html

Usually you want to start with boney parts of things like chicken, and then slowly introduce new meats and organs.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I personally wouldn't ever choose to raise a puppy on kibble. After raising the last 3 Danes on raw, I've learned and experienced that raw is far superior for growth and development.

I would recommend reading Dr. Tom Lonsdale's book called "Raw Meaty Bones" as a starter. Or read his book called "Works Wonders"

I also would suggest following one set of guidelines or one mentor that is tried, true, experienced and available to answer your questions. You're right in finding lots of raw feeding resources and website and while they're mostly all great- there's going to be contradictory information and guidelines. Choose one after looking through them all and stick with it. If that method isn't working out, try another but give it a chance to work before moving on.

I know that my method on my getting started guide is tried and true so I have faith in it, if you follow it and if your pup is healthy and normal.
  • cowleyms likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Raw is absolutely the best start for your pup. You will start with bone in chicken, then move on to turkey and then to different proteins from there. Organs won't come for about two or three months. There is no rush. All the nutrition your puppy/dog needs comes from a variety of different proteins over time. You don't feed everything all at once. Three of my four I have fed raw since bringing them home at 7 & 8 weeks old. All have done fantastic with it. There are breeders out there who wean their litters directly onto raw straight from mom's milk. So, the earlier the better.  Always remember, variety is key and comes over time. Even in the beginning for puppies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO