Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raising Meat Rabbits

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I raise meat rabbits for my animals and for us (if there's enough lol). I saw a few other threads on raising rabbits so I would like to share my adventures of rabbit raising with you. First off let me introduce my ladies, they are 1.5 year old Giant Chinchilla Rabbits. This breed has quickly worked it's way into my heart and is definitely my favorite breed. Here is Lucille and Babe

Attached Files

• Attached File  369.jpg   215.69KB   0 downloads

• Wolfsnaps and ggjgintw39 like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

2 and a half months ago I went out to a Ladie's farm to learn about raising rabbits and porcessing them. She taught me from start to finish how to process and sent me home with 2 giant chinchilla rabbits that she bred that day. 31 days later I was blessed with 19 little naked hippos lol Here's one about an hour old

Attached Files

• Attached File  642.jpg   74.85KB   0 downloads

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

About 2 weeks I think

Attached Files

• Attached File  706.jpg   57.42KB   0 downloads

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I think they are about 3 1/2 weeks old here

Attached Files

• Attached File  782.jpg   215.32KB   0 downloads

• Wolfsnaps and ggjgintw39 like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

This is Abner, I know, do not get attached, but this is my first breeding of anyhting and the runt gets to stay with me and be a pet and maybe a breeder. She is half the size of her littermates. We'll see how she does

Attached Files

• Attached File  800.jpg   78.2KB   0 downloads

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Abner's getting bigger

Attached Files

• Attached File  830.jpg   89.13KB   0 downloads

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

She has stayed in with the moms and babies but I take her out once a day to nurse her on one of the moms to make sure she ges fed. That worked better than bottle feeding. All she would do was chew on the nipple. Luckily my 2 breeders are so laid back I can pet them while I put Abner under one of them.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

About 4 weeks hereAttached File  004.jpg   207.32KB   0 downloads oh amd the water is NOT dirty, it has slippery elm syrup in it cause a few of them had a little soft poop/diarhea.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Freedom!, I have my backyrad bunny proofed. The ladies only go into their hutch at night and this is the babies first taste of freedom. They are a day away from 5 weeks in this pic.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

And here is today, the black one in the third pic stealing food is Abner :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  245.jpg   268.53KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  214.jpg   168.47KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  160.jpg   160.49KB   0 downloads

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I am not sure how old the babies will be when i process them. I'll probably wait untill they are around 7 lbs. The moms weighs in at 13. They are two weeks into their next pregnancy and dong great. Dec 5th is their due date. I wonder if they will have another 19 babies lol. I'm keeping Abner and one other female as my next generation breeders. Abner has grown quite well and is now average size. The other female I'm keeping will be one of the biggest ones. 

These rabbits are so darn friendly. I've handled them daily since birth and they have great mom's to learn from. Proceesing day will be sad but I feel so good about being able to raise them with love and delicious greens and the ability to be free range and not be in a cage except for night time. This so far has been such an amazing learning experience and I'm so excited to be able to provide my family with meat that I have loved and raised since birth. People told me not to handle them or get attached but part of the reason I did this was to be able to know in my heart that these little furballs have had an amazing life.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Oh yeah, and if anyone has any questions please ask. I spent at least three hours researching everything rabbit everyday during their entire preganacy so I would be more than happy to help out anyway I can.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
This is so cool....they're so dang cute though so I don't know if I could ever raise them for meat myself!

How much time does it take up on a weekly basis?
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
Every morning i let them out of their hutch, give them fresh water and food. And then hand feed them all a small bit of oats to keep the bond. Mid day i sit out with them and feed them greens and other veggies. Before dark I take yesterday's hay out of the hutch and replace it with a fresh bundle, change waters,refill and hand out small bits of fruit for snacks.before bed i check/refill water bowls and food and say goodnight lol
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
When they are newborn i check them morning and night to make sure they're eating and their nest is either closed to keep them warm or open to keep them from over heating. I know that all these steps aren't necessary but to me they are ;)
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Pretty sure I don't have enough time to do all that lol!
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Yeah, it dies take up time. My next venture will be milk goats and I'm a little afraid of the time involved in them. I know you have to milk them twice a day but I will keep them with kid then use the kids as food for our animals as well. I currently go through 1.5 gallons of raw goats milk a week for myself and my dogs and cats so it would be nice to have a supply of that plus fresh goats meat as well.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I was going to add chickens but they if they can get to the baby rabbits they will eat them! That happened to the lady that gave me Babe and Lucille. So I was thinking of putting a net over my backyard and raising quail.

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Are you concerned at all about the rabbits getting parasites being on the ground? I had considered putting mine on the ground but changed my mind. 

Nice rabbits! Happy breeding.

I don't spend as much time as I used to with my rabbits (the newness is wearing off). I would say the time it actually takes depends on the owner. It can take just a few minutes a day to feed, water, and do a quick check to as much as hours at a time just spending time with them, doing thorough health checks, and just general observation of behavior. I have to say they are pretty easy animals. If you make a mistake, you can eat it. Or feed it to your dogs. 

• ggjgintw39 likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
I am not too concerned about them being on the ground. I am planning on spraying DE over all the ground once a month in the winter maybe once a week in the summer. That should also help with any urine smell.
  • ggjgintw39 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO