Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raising Meat Rabbits

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
While waiting for my email to stop being a jerk I was lurking in ALL the boards. I feel like I know everyone pretty well. Sorry for being a creeper! Last night I decided to look into what it takes to raise meat rabbits .... From everything I have found, holy cow are they easy!

How long does it take for your breed to mature to fryer weight? I was noticing the New Zealands are usually ready at 8 weeks. Trying to figure out if I want to wait until then, for the ones destined for dog food, or allow everyone to grow to 8 weeks and just feed the dogs different parts of the rabbit? I know they don't have much fat, we are probably going to get a cow from auction after the holidays have calmed down, and butcher it. We were going to go in with a friend, but I would rather keep the whole thing for us and the boys. Am I crazy to think that's doable? lol

I'll stop stealing your post now, just wanted to say thanks for getting my wheels turning on raising and breeding meat rabbits! :)

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
My babies will be 8 weeks on Monday and I think they're all around 4 lbs right now. Their moms each weigh around 13-15. Their dads were a 8-10 lb Satin and an 8-10 l b Rex.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Well that would work to split between my boys. You usually start out at 2% then adjust from there, right?

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
I think rabbits raised in cages may grow faster than mine, which free range during the day. But fine with that. I plan on processing mist term in 2 weeks and maybe saving back a couple potential breeders.

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
2% body weight? If so yes, unless your dog is older or younger or fat or skinny haha

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
There areso many variants But 2% is
a good number to start at

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Sorry, yes 2% body weight. :)

I'm actually pretty excited to get the rabbits. I told my grandma my plans tonight and she almost started crying, because it brought back memories of her childhood. lol

How do you plan on dispatching the rabbits? I was watching different Internet videos on the different methods today. Much more informative than reading how to do it. IMO

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
I was taught using a long heavy thin right and doing cervical dislocation. It's quick, easy and fast.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Is that like the broomstick method? That's what I saw today, that I liked the best. Seemed the easiest on everyone, as well .... Guess I need to get the rabbits before I can dispatch them. :)

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
Yes, it is. I really suggest that you find a local breeder and ask if you can mentor for a couple hours. I learned a lot that way

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
What a wonderful suggestion! I will definitely do that!

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Hey guys just wanted to update. My buns are doing great. I've been able to provide over 100lbs of meat so far and more to come in a month. The colony setting is the only way I will ever raise rabbits. Currently for my breeders I have 2 jr bucks both flemish giants, 2 jr does that will be seniors soon, 1 is giant chinchilla/std. rex x and 1 is giant chinchilla/satin x The giant chin/rex doe is Abner, the runt. She's doing awesome! She's over 7lbs at 4 months old. I have my foundation does, they are giant chins and I aquired a very sweet flemish/NZ x doe. I'm looking for 1 more doe to add but I'm going to be patient and wait for just the right one.

I've added a couple guinea pig boars to the herd recently so as soon as I can find a few sows I can start breeding them. They do excellent with the buns and vica versa.

I have mostly gotten away from feeding pellets. I grow my own fooder and am planninig a rabbit garden for this spring. 

In a couple months or less I'm going to get a small covey of quail and a couple banty hens to hopefully hatch the quail eggs, I don't want to deal with an incubator and almost all quail do not hatch their eggs. They really haven't done good in captivity and I want to work on bettering them.

• Prey Model Raw and GoingPostal like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That is so awesome!!! 

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Fodder, it's what's for dinner. 

Attached Files

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Abner, my little runtling, as a teen. :)

Attached Files

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Haha, we've been growing fodder for our llamas. They love it! Gives them something Green to eat when the ground is covered in snow!

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Haha, we've been growing fodder for our llamas. They love it! Gives them something Green to eat when the ground is covered in snow!

Fodder has been the healthiest, most economical easy feeding solution since raw!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO