Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gimli Is Thriving On Raw

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm 5 months in with GImli to the day, and I am really, REALLY glad I found PMR. Five months ago, my dog had brutally awful, dirty, stinky, yeasty ears. After many medications, special diets, daily cleaning, NOTHING would soothe the inflamed ears that he scratched literally BLOODY. I've had to (with massive guilt) cone him several times, and after a shaming from a horrible, misinformed vet, I started looking into alternatives. I'd heard of cooking meals for dogs, and so I looked into that. Which eventually led me to PMR. The first attempt was horrible, I over fed, used ground, and he wasn't fasted. Once I started looking further into it, I discovered the people here who showed me the proper way to do a raw diet. Once Gimli was transitioned, he was doing rather well, slowly increasing meal sizes, less bone, new protein. All was well, and within a week on raw, his ears were clearing up. My boyfriend and I were shocked but pleased, so I kept going with it. 

Unfortunately, Mr Sneakypup had some bumps along the way with sneaking kitty kibble (bad mix with the raw, which lead to some nasty midnight messes that smelled like death), but once I got him cleared out, we were back on track after adding some organic pumpkin to his meals. 

Now he happily chomps on turkey necks, beef heart, salmon heads, and some veal liver. Chicken still seems to make him itch more, so I've rotated that out and now I'm looking into adding quail, and maybe a little pork here and there. No matter what I give him, he happily destroys it (except the salmon heads, which take him about a half hour, as he hasn't really figured out how to hold the meat with his paws). I had half a cup left of his kibble and let him sniff it, and he turned up his nose. No going back! Too bad the cats aren't as easy as he is! LOL

Anyway, we are fully converted to raw, and couldn't be happier. Even my boyfriend remarks often on how much better he seems on this diet. I can't say thank you enough to the people here who've helped me through the hiccups, all I've learned, I've been able to tell others and hopefully they'll make the right choice for their dogs, too. :D

Attached Files

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Awesome!!  :goodjob: The difference is amazing!

• GimMom likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Yay Gimli!!

I've finally convinced my ex foster dog's new mommy to switch her to raw!!! This dog is the yeastiest dog I have ever met. She's on Orijen right now (as low in glycemic index as you can get!) and she's STILL yeasty, even with oregano oil and probiotics being supplemented into her food. She's going to be switching her to raw soon and I am hoping for amazing results like yours with Gimli!

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Just tell her what I went through and how my boy is now, that should help! :P

And thanks, I'm pretty happy, so is Shane. The fact that his ears are all normal now, pretty much (almost done detoxing) says we made the right choice.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

This warmed my heart to read Deb!! So glad that you found your way here and that Gimli is doing so fantastic. Way to go to the both of you ;)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks for all your help! He's had a couple of barf/cannon butt issues with the fish, but I'm going to add pumpkin to his next meal and hopefully he'll be normal again. 

I'm just glad I met all of you guys. Would be screwed if I hadn't! :D

• Prey Model Raw likes this

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Feel free to show her Leia's raw food diary as well, if encouragement is needed. Leia was on Orijen before we started raw, and it just wasn't enough. Orijen is a fantastic food, but some dogs just don't do well on kibble.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I was told about Orijen as a last resort before "home cooking" or raw, but at that point, I was so disgusted with the kibble industry that I decided raw was the way to go.

Hey Natalie, if you want to add this to the success stories, I'd be thrilled! :D

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Oh I plan on it! Just when I can sit down in front of my laptop!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I know the feeling, I got banned from using the internets at work, so now I have only a couple of hours in the evening to do stuff.

Can't wait to see it! 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

http://preymodelraw....ess-stories-r52

Story has been added! 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom