Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Got A Bunch Of Meat And Organs This Past Weekend

- - - - - pork organ deer ribs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

This last weekend was 1st shotgun season, and I didn't get anything. :(​ But we got at least 40lbs of deer scraps and two rib cages for free from the local deer processor, also some trachea's, heart, lung, liver, and kidney from a couple hunters. And I got an order of 45lbs of chicken heart from the local butcher. And just today I went and picked up 26lbs of organ and scraps, plus 8 pigs feet from a local farmer who butchered two hogs this weekend.  :thumbsu: I have pictures of pork from today, and will be adding pictures of the deer and chicken heart when I get it all separated out this weekend.  :D

Attached File  131126_003.jpg   56.32KB   2 downloads

Attached File  131126_004.jpg   190.63KB   1 downloads

I got two hearts, two sets of lungs, two livers, three kidneys, two spleens, two whole trachea's, two pig ears, eight pigs feet, and three bags of scraps.

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal and 4 others like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Nice score! We recently got a deer and an elk carcass from a friend!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Nice! Love your organization! :D

I'm trying to find more new sources for meat, running low on beef heart! I wish I lived near hunters like you guys :P

• OwnedBySilly likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I've got eight 5lb bags of chicken hearts, three turkeys on sale for $.99/lb and 3 for $.50/lb, and 20lb of old deer chunk meat. :jig:

Attached File  131202_002.jpg   256.29KB   1 downloads

I still have deer ribs and chunk meat in trash bags from last weekend in a freezer at my parents. My freezer is packed. I need to rearrange, and get some of this stuff in smaller organized baggies. This weekend is second shotgun, and I should be getting more deer meat and organs!!! And I've also got a box of 40lbs of mixed chicken waiting in the freezer at my boyfriends parents house. I'd say I'm stocked. :thumbsu:

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I also have six hamsters and a few rats that will be going in the freezer for my kitties on Wednesday. They are leftover rodents that didn't get adopted from my lab animal class from my vet tech program. And I'm also getting the leftover mice from the program too, and they already had babies. :D I'm going to breed mice now for my cats to eat as well. Nom nom nom  :stuff:

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That's awesome!! We haven't had too much good luck with free meat scores this year. In the past we've had great success....I'm hoping that we can get a few nice scores here soon! 

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

Just got a great deal on organs. My butchers organ freezer went down yesterday, and she labeled it as only pet food worthy. So I got 72 packages of beef heart, kidney, tongue and liver, also pork heart, liver, tongue, sweetbreads, and brain for $0.25 each. It was 5 crates worth of organ. Also got some free range eggs, pork steak, ground pork, organic milk, and a black cow root beer for myself all for about $45. Oh and two crates of knuckle bones. These are the joints of a cow that have been cut in half, so they have a lot of cartilage and spongy bone and marrow. So they are actually pretty soft and edible.

Attached File  140211_002.jpg   74.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  130816_003.jpg   69.19KB   0 downloads

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Score!!! We haven't had a score in a long time :(

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I've never had a score, so I hope my first is like that! :o Nice one!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I hate seeing how cheap people get things for! lol I would kill for something other than chicken close to $1 a lb.

One day we will have an awesome score Deb .... One day. Looking back at my beef "score" when I first started wasn't a score at all. The 13 bags I tossed we're all bone and hunks of only fat. More like the butcher scored for not having to pay to dispose of the stuff. lol

Great score, Amanda!
  • GimMom and OwnedBySilly like this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

So I got about 262 pounds(weighed it) of beef and deer today from a Craigslist score.  :D  Yay!!! I still want more...... hehehehe  :devil: They had pretty much just stocked their freezer with a half a cow when the nephew had tripped the GFCI outlet without anybody knowing. So the freezer was off for three days. The meat was still semi frozen when they realized what happened, so it got plugged back in but they didn't want to eat it. He was actually thinking about taking it to a wolf research park, but decided to answer my ad instead. Too bad for the wolfies but great for my doggies.  :stuff:

Attached File  140726_003.jpg   84.79KB   0 downloadsAttached File  140726_002.jpg   60.88KB   0 downloads

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Holy toledo!!! I'm super jealous!!! It's crazy to think that this stuff either just sits around in people's freezers or ends up in the dump! 

• Amanda likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Awesome!!!! :thumbsu:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What a score! We haven't been getting any scores ... My friend's husband caught 300 lbs of salmon in Alaska and brought it home. They told me I will be getting a bunch, because they cannot store all of the fish. lol

Mother in law is giving us elk and deer they haven't used, as it is almost elk/deer season for bows. Boys love deer and elk, so they will be super excited!
  • naturalfeddogs and Amanda like this

peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSE OR

I am very excited to learn what the dogs should, can, and should not eat. I have a feeling we have been wasting a lot of dollars here because we ourselves don't eat something…I'm almost embarrassed, but determined that nothing is going to go to waste anymore that does not have to...

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
The list of foods they shouldn't eat is short:

Wild boar
Wild bear
Fresh salmon from the Pacific Northwest (should be frozen first)
Inappropriate sized rmbs (choking hazard)
Weirdly cut bones that could potentially cause issues

Things they can eat but probably shouldn't:

Kibble
Tilapia/catfish
Lard
Lots of skin and hair or feathers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pork, organ, deer, ribs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO