Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

First Time On Raw; Vomiting, Diarrhea, & Blood. Help!

first time blood in stool diarrhea vomit vomiting blood allergic reaction allergies chicken pit bull

Best Answer apitbullslife , 28 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Autumn is doing great today! I fasted her yesterday the day after having the blood in her stools. Today, I fed her .5lbs for both morning & afternoon of chicken backs with no skin & fat. Her stools have began to firm up, upset stomach seems to be resolved, no episodes of vomiting, & she no longer has those bumps on her back. Nothing happened today. Which is awesome after what happened to Autumn. My question now is if Autumn gets constipated, would it be appropriate to add a bit more muscle meat into her diet & monitor stools? Or what should my next step be? & Thank you guys for being supportive, you're all cool beans. (: Autumns belly thanks you for it!

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Hey guys, I just started my 1.3yr old pit bull, Autumn, on raw this month on the 26th. I've read through PMRs getting started & started Autumn out on chicken. I gave her quarters but I think I may have rushed too much meat starting off & giving her quarters instead of backs was my mistake. She now has  developed a few problems. Since both Autumn & I are brand new to this raw feeding world I would like to hear some of your troubles/experiences to help Autumn & I with ours. Any advise or methods that you guys have used would help tremendously. If you are or were in the same boat as our, please let me know how you turned failure into success!

So Autumn is currently having a hard time voiding (pooping) its not that she's constipated because over the last 2-4 days she's been having horrible diarrhea. At first it wasn't concerning because I knew her body needed to adjust to the change of food. But now its a very thick liquid/creamy consistency. She had some blood clots & blood in her stool yesterday, no solids at all since starting. She was a bit out of character when that occurred yesterday, but after laying down for a while she was back to her normal self. Some times, when she goes to the bathroom, she holds her squatting position to go but nothing comes out, I don't know if she backed up or if she just feels she has more to void from having upset stomach. She's been gagging, needing to throw up. & she does throw up almost all her food it seems like. I'm not sure if all of this is normal. But its so concerning to me just because every thing is so new & I have no clue what is normal & what should I be looking out for.

Since starting as well, she broke out in hives all up & down her back, allergic reaction maybe? But they resembled the same non-uniform size hives just like her apple allergies. Maybe due to the new introduction of raw or maybe it might be the chicken or it might be the brand of chicken I bought. Is there a difference between feeding your dog organic range-free chicken rather than chicken that's bought from your local grocery store? Am I prepping her meals wrong? Is there a right or a wrong? 

So here's what I have been doing since starting on raw:

Autumn is about 65lb, I started her at a little less than 2lbs of chicken per day. I started with chicken quarters & that was the mistake I made starting out. After she began having diarrhea & throw up her food. I contacted PMR, she advised me to cut out her jerky treats, I cut out all her treats actually. & to trim the fats/skin off the meat before giving them to Autumn & to cut her down to 1lb. I fasted her for a day before starting over again. But then she had the bloody stool the day I was suppose to start her on 1lb instead of two. Blood clot-like runny stools twice in the afternoon & vomited twice earlier in that morning. I contacted PMR again & was told to do fast her again before starting over again. & to start her on chicken backs/necks until her stools are firm & she seems to be doing okay. The question I have now are: What warning signs should I look for? When do I know to reincorporate more muscle meat into her diet? & is there absolutely anything else I should be doing to ease this process for Autumn? I know its all in the poop, but if she doesn't poo every day, is that normal? When should I start seeing improvements? Lastly, when should I be worried & when she I take her to the vet?

Anything will help. Advice. Experiences. Similar cases. Anything! Please & thank you so much for those of you who have taken time out to read my dilemma! I appreciate it all.  

• SurraTazy, Furypn and Bellipn like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Ok first thing I'm a little confused on timeline, so what has she ate over the last 2-3 days exactly?  She's on backs/necks now?  Is she throwing those up?  Make sure the chicken isn't enhanced as well, check the sodium level. 

• Furypn likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
Are you removing the skin on the chicken? If not, try that. The skin is really fatty and can cause digestive disturbances in the beginning. Next, you may also be feeding too much. About how much are you feeding?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Everyone will cover everything else, but as an emergency supplement, I would give her some slippery elm right now to firm up her poo. Should help with her irritated tummy.

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

First I must say Autumn is adorable!  

Where do you live?  there is a new canine sickness going around, so just be aware of that. 

I am sure more experience people will help answer your questions.   2 of mine have been raw fed for over a year and still have the occasional digestive issues.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How's she doing today?

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
✓  Best Answer

Autumn is doing great today! I fasted her yesterday the day after having the blood in her stools. Today, I fed her .5lbs for both morning & afternoon of chicken backs with no skin & fat. Her stools have began to firm up, upset stomach seems to be resolved, no episodes of vomiting, & she no longer has those bumps on her back. Nothing happened today. Which is awesome after what happened to Autumn. My question now is if Autumn gets constipated, would it be appropriate to add a bit more muscle meat into her diet & monitor stools? Or what should my next step be? & Thank you guys for being supportive, you're all cool beans. (: Autumns belly thanks you for it!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Yea, if she seems constipated you can add more muscle meat. Raw feeding is always a balancing act anyway. Too soft poops, more bone. Too hard, less bone,  and everything in between. By that, I mean feeding too much, or not enough.

• GimMom likes this

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Got cha. She had very firm stools this morning & it was only a few pebbles. I'm assuming she is a bit constipated now. I will give her some more meat tonight for dinner to help reduce the constipation.

I also had another question, when it comes time to add in a new protein source, which will be turkey, can we only feed turkey necks & wings? I was referring to PMRs Getting Started - Week 3 & 4. Would it be okay to switch up the chicken quarters with turkey quarters or turkey drum sticks & vise versa with turkey wings with chicken backs?

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Pumpkin is another great alternative for gut issues, it helps with both constipation and diarrhea. Gim still gets diarrhea if I feed him too much or give him something that pisses off his tummy, and I've found that works wonders. I had to give it to him because he was experiencing upset after salmon heads, and I gave him half a can plus a chicken back, which has more bone, and they gradually started firming up. If you notice clear, thick gel-like stuff, that's mucous from the intestinal lining that is a natural body fluid that can also indicate G.I upset. It's normal to get a little bit with poops, but if you have a boatload, that's a clear sign something is irritated. Pumpkin, slippery elm, both are good for handling these issues, and you can give a little pumpkin with each meal to help with the transition.

As for alternating turkey and chicken, go for it. The idea is to gradually add a new protein once your dog gets used to the protein he's currently eating with no issues. You want to eventually have a nice rotation of different meat proteins, at least three different to have variety. So if you do chicken leg quarter for breakfast, give him turkey for dinner and then alternate until he's good to go with the next protein, which can be fish or pork.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My Gimli is not a hugely active dog, so I feed him 1-1.5% of his body weight so I don't overfeed and give him the dreaded cannon butt!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Tiny firm stools isn't necessarily constipation. Especially this early on in the transition and especially considering she was just struggling with diarrhea a few days ago.

I personally would not recommend adding more muscle meat in or adding pumpkin in at this time. The less things we change and add to the equation the better!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Good point, I'm guessing pumpkin and other additives are better once they're on more than one protein?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if you could cut the pumpkin out slowly over time with Gim....just slowly back it down.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

He didn't have it for breakfast or dinner today, but he just had some FIERCE cannon butt. Like, a SHOT of liquid just streamed out. I've never seen him do that so I think I might fast a meal. And then backs for dinner.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yeah, you would have to do tediously slow. Like take away 1/8 tsp once every other day for a week, then the next week take away a little bit more, etc

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Crap, okay. I'll have to grab some tomorrow. On the bright side, his poop was better tonight, if not a bit soft and some mucous. I'll give him backs for another day or so.

Sorry to hijack the thread :/

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

How are her stools suppose to look for 7 days & when is it appropriate to add in more meat into her meals along with her regular chicken backs? I see her void so much more stools, but to see this little tiny bit of stool, does it mean that her body is utilizing raw better than kibble? 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Stools should be small and hard. Decreased fecal waste is normal- they actually use a lot more of the food.

I would wait to add more boneless chicken into the diet until you see a weeks worth of solid, small poops. Then add in boneless chicken into a bone in meal- like add a few ounces of boneless breast meat to a chicken back meal.

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

An update for today, Autumn is still doing great. None of those reactions she had before. Just a tiny bit of redness near her vaginal area but I think its because she licks that area & only a couple, if none, of those bumps. Which are very very small compared to what they use to be. I'm starting to notice her teeth are becoming cleaner! Especially the back molars! She's starting to slim out as well. & her coat!! Its so soft & bright! I'll have to find my camera & snap a few of her to post!

• GimMom likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first time, blood in stool, diarrhea, vomit, vomiting, blood, allergic reaction, allergies, chicken, pit bull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO