Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

First Time On Raw; Vomiting, Diarrhea, & Blood. Help!

first time blood in stool diarrhea vomit vomiting blood allergic reaction allergies chicken pit bull

Best Answer apitbullslife , 28 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Autumn is doing great today! I fasted her yesterday the day after having the blood in her stools. Today, I fed her .5lbs for both morning & afternoon of chicken backs with no skin & fat. Her stools have began to firm up, upset stomach seems to be resolved, no episodes of vomiting, & she no longer has those bumps on her back. Nothing happened today. Which is awesome after what happened to Autumn. My question now is if Autumn gets constipated, would it be appropriate to add a bit more muscle meat into her diet & monitor stools? Or what should my next step be? & Thank you guys for being supportive, you're all cool beans. (: Autumns belly thanks you for it!

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Stools should be small and hard. Decreased fecal waste is normal- they actually use a lot more of the food.

I would wait to add more boneless chicken into the diet until you see a weeks worth of solid, small poops. Then add in boneless chicken into a bone in meal- like add a few ounces of boneless breast meat to a chicken back meal.

Got cha! I will let you know how everything goes once we are able to transition into adding more meat into her meals. Thank you so much for all your help along the way, Natalie! (:  

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep us posted!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is Autumn doing?

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I have another concern for you guys to help me out with. Autumn had begun turkey probably a week & a half ago from today. During the first week, she was doing completely fine, no problems no issues besides getting her stools on track. But on the ninth or tenth day of chicken/turkey meals, she developed a rash on her belly. I will post a picture of it as soon as a I get home & find my camera . She's had this rash before on her belly many times but it resolves on its own eventually in a short time, even if Autumn licks it. But this time, since Autumn has been licking at it & has spread & gotten worse. It doesn't look as bad as before. Just looks more dry & crusted a bit from her no longer licking at it, before it looked a bit raw & sticky before of her licking. But like I've said before, it usually goes away on its own. I put the cone on her to prevent her from licking at more. I keep it clean with just water. Nothing has changed in bedding detergents or environmentally, besides the rain & wet grass. The only change is the addition of Turkey in her meals. I'm not sure if I should have gave her very little then gradually add in more turkey or what I should've done. My poor girl, I feel so bad. Seems like every transition so far has been a struggle for her. Should I consider taking her to the vets? They would probably only recommend me changing her back to kibble & prescribe her medication, which are both no nos. But who knows, I might get a vet that's a bit more open minded. Help us out once again please! You ladies & gentlemen are an awesome support team!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
If you can keep her from licking it as best you can and keep it clean it should heal up. How is she doing now?

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

If you can keep her from licking it as best you can and keep it clean it should heal up. How is she doing now?

She is doing better, she doesn't seem to bother by it anymore when I take her cone off. I make sure she doesn't try to sneak to lick it. I guess I was just too impatient to wait & see if things got better. Its still a little pink, but not as bad as before. The size of it has reduced but not much. How long should I wait to, or if, take her to the vets? Any signs I should look out for, Natalie? Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Not sure how it works on rashes, but we use vetricin spray here for any owies. It doesn't seem to hurt them at all, but it seems to help with the healing process. The guy at the feed store couldn't say enough good things about it, when Tank got a hot spot, from cheap kibble. It cleared the hot spot up right away!

May be worth looking into for your girl?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
If her skin starts to look worse I would take her in.

But I would keep the cone on her if you're not directly supervising her.

How does it look now?

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

@Jordann I will look into that. I've read up on their website for that product. I might just try it out on a small part of her rash, just in case. I just need to find a store that carries the product. It is Vetericyn, yes?

@Natalie She looks better. The redness has reduced down to a pink colour, just some spots more pink than other areas. She hasn't licked at it since I've removed the cone, which I only remove when supervised when I get home from work. If things don't improve after trying out Vetericyn I will take her in. But, is that something you would recommend trying out before seeing a vet or should I consult a vet before use?

The photo is how it was before, at its worse. Since placing the cone on her, that wet looking area has dried & is starting to flake a bit. There are still small bumps & The only part that remains like a patch that's lingering is the part lower towards her vaginal area. Can you guys tell what it could be?

Attached Files

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Ouch! Poor girl!

I can never figure out how to spell it. Yup, that stuff is amazing! I'm a true believer!
c0b047a4edf03912a1b7031e4dbd4d75.jpg

Used it on a slight burn my daughter got and it didn't hurt her at all. Who knows if it helped speed up the process, but it made her feel better. lol Tank LOVED it when I sprayed him with it, he would get happy and his butt would dance around. lol

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Ouch! Poor girl!

I can never figure out how to spell it. Yup, that stuff is amazing! I'm a true believer!
c0b047a4edf03912a1b7031e4dbd4d75.jpg

Used it on a slight burn my daughter got and it didn't hurt her at all. Who knows if it helped speed up the process, but it made her feel better. lol Tank LOVED it when I sprayed him with it, he would get happy and his butt would dance around. lol

Awesome, I'll look it up. Autumns rash is just about cleared. No more licking, I think she knows if she does the cone goes on. But thank you so much, I've read some good reviews on this product so I look forward to using it in the future. Thanks!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I wish I would have gotten the larger bottle, but I was afraid I wouldn't have luck with the spray, so I wanted to waste $20 something instead of $40 something. lol

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I wish I would have gotten the larger bottle, but I was afraid I wouldn't have luck with the spray, so I wanted to waste $20 something instead of $40 something. lol

Don't worry! That's how I am! Better safe than sorry, sorry about the money that could have been used to buy MEAT! 

• Jordann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first time, blood in stool, diarrhea, vomit, vomiting, blood, allergic reaction, allergies, chicken, pit bull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO