Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From The Uk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

blondiecharlie

blondiecharlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Hi everyone,

My name is Charlie (I'm a girl) we have just got our first dog, a pug called Steve. He is 9 weeks old and i desperately want the best for him, I believe eating raw meaty bones is best for him and any information, help and stories you have I will read. I have note books full of info I have picked up but now that he is here I feel worried and I am not very confident in what I am doing in case I hurt him by feeding him the wrong type of bone.

The internet is so full of contradictions that I feel it is impossible to just go ahead and do something without reassurance.

Thank you

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome Charlie!

My advice would be to stick to one method, one source of info and go with it. You're right that there's conflicting information out there on the internet, there are a few good methods even though they're different than what's here. But this is a tired and true method that this community is experienced in.

If you want a non biased book, read Dr. Tom Lonsdale's books called "Raw Meaty Bones" and "Works Wonders"

There's a wealth of information here on most aspects of raw feeding. Feel free to ask any and all questions :)
  • blondiecharlie likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! This the best place I have found yet for raw feeding. Super people, with tons of knowledge! I started feeding raw about six years ago, and this is where I learned. Please ask all the questions you can think of!

blondiecharlie

blondiecharlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Thank you! I researched loads online before I got him and now he's here I am in total panic mode! Some people on yahoo answers are telling me I am wrong for not feeding dog food! Which I don't think I could ever feed him, it looks and smells disgusting. Others are telling me meat and bones are not enough and he needs added vitimins and oils. Others tell me meat and bones are all he needs and he does not need anything else  :notfair: all I want to do is feed him the best I can like I do with my son and family. I sometimes feel like I am in over my head and just think oh I will get him some dog food tomorrow but I soon snap out of it. He is having 3-4 meals a day. He has had a chicken drum but didnt eat the bone, and some minced meat today........I read that that was ok? he will have more mince later on

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Thank you! I researched loads online before I got him and now he's here I am in total panic mode! Some people on yahoo answers are telling me I am wrong for not feeding dog food! Which I don't think I could ever feed him, it looks and smells disgusting. Others are telling me meat and bones are not enough and he needs added vitimins and oils. Others tell me meat and bones are all he needs and he does not need anything else  :notfair: all I want to do is feed him the best I can like I do with my son and family. I sometimes feel like I am in over my head and just think oh I will get him some dog food tomorrow but I soon snap out of it. He is having 3-4 meals a day. He has had a chicken drum but didnt eat the bone, and some minced meat today........I read that that was ok? he will have more mince later on

The basic foundations of a balanced raw diet are the following: 80% muscle meat, 10% organ (5% of that being liver and heart does not count as an organ, but rather a muscle meat), and 10% bone. In the beginning you will be feeding more bone and no organ just to get your dog used to the diet. Most people here do not supplement because we make sure their diet is balanced. The only thing I supplement is omega 3 because I do not give my dog grass fed beef, and glucosamine because he has a luxating patella.

If you don't get bone into your dog's diet soon he will probably have some horrible diarrhea though lol! Try looking into chicken wings and chicken necks to get you started rather than drumsticks :)

blondiecharlie

blondiecharlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

The basic foundations of a balanced raw diet are the following: 80% muscle meat, 10% organ (5% of that being liver and heart does not count as an organ, but rather a muscle meat), and 10% bone. In the beginning you will be feeding more bone and no organ just to get your dog used to the diet. Most people here do not supplement because we make sure their diet is balanced. The only thing I supplement is omega 3 because I do not give my dog grass fed beef, and glucosamine because he has a luxating patella.

If you don't get bone into your dog's diet soon he will probably have some horrible diarrhea though lol! Try looking into chicken wings and chicken necks to get you started rather than drumsticks :)

Thank you!! I will try and give him bone now and see if he will eat it, Is it instinct that makes them eat it? Steve (my dog) just seems to look at me when all the meat is off the bone as if to say "all done" 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Thank you!! I will try and give him bone now and see if he will eat it, Is it instinct that makes them eat it? Steve (my dog) just seems to look at me when all the meat is off the bone as if to say "all done" 

I think the drumstick is too big for him because he is still a puppy and very small, so he probably got full by the time he got to the bone. Usually pieces like wings/necks are smaller so dogs consume it entirely. If he still doesn't eat bone, you could try taking a mallet to it and crushing the bone up into smaller fragments so that he eats it, and then gradually move onto larger pieces :)

Dogs naturally want to chew, so usually they will want to chew on something as tasty as a fresh meaty bone! Sometimes it just takes them a while to get the hang of it :) My dog didn't know what to do with raw meat when I first gave it to him lol he didn't know that he was supposed to crunch up the bones, so he kept rolling it around in his mouth and gnawing at it, but not really biting down lol. He no longer does this an will even use his paws to keep big chunks of meat steady as he tears into it :)

blondiecharlie

blondiecharlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

I think the drumstick is too big for him because he is still a puppy and very small, so he probably got full by the time he got to the bone. Usually pieces like wings/necks are smaller so dogs consume it entirely. If he still doesn't eat bone, you could try taking a mallet to it and crushing the bone up into smaller fragments so that he eats it, and then gradually move onto larger pieces :)

Dogs naturally want to chew, so usually they will want to chew on something as tasty as a fresh meaty bone! Sometimes it just takes them a while to get the hang of it :) My dog didn't know what to do with raw meat when I first gave it to him lol he didn't know that he was supposed to crunch up the bones, so he kept rolling it around in his mouth and gnawing at it, but not really biting down lol. He no longer does this an will even use his paws to keep big chunks of meat steady as he tears into it :)

Thaml you for this I really do need all the help i can get and this has helped a lot 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
The mallet trick works wonderful for puppies who are unsure about chewing up bones. Couple days or weeks of smashing things up a bit (to emulate mama dog chewing/regurgitating for puppy) and they should be just fine to chew on their own

blondiecharlie

blondiecharlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

The mallet trick works wonderful for puppies who are unsure about chewing up bones. Couple days or weeks of smashing things up a bit (to emulate mama dog chewing/regurgitating for puppy) and they should be just fine to chew on their own

Brilliant thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO