Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Need Help Finding A Place To Buy In Bulk!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi everyone!

I'm new to feeding RAW. I have two big boys. One German Shepherd mix - 1 1/2  (75pounds) and one Boerboel 1 year (145ish pounds). 

I can NOT find meat to buy in bulk. I have tried contacting everyone and anyone in my area and I have had no luck. I live in Fresno, CA. 

Anyone have any recommendations? My husband and I just bought a deep freezer on top of a fridge that's in the garage for the dogs meat and I would LOVE to be able to actually fill them. 

Thanks!!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Have you done a search for wholesale meat distributors in your area?

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I have. A lot of which won't sell to the public. It's all a little annoying. I found a couple sites that sell meat in bulk for dogs but they are all in Austin or somewhere out of state. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Any butchers or meat processors anywhere around you?  Even if they are a little distance away it would be worth it if you could get enough meat/scraps. We just got several hundred pounds of venison scraps from a deer processor about an hour from us. 

What about raw feeding co-ops? There is a thread here with a list of them all over the country.

• "bully"_lover likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

We drive to Seattle (4.5 hours) to pick up bulk orders from our distributor because even factoring in the cost of gas, we can't beat the price per pound and match the quality. 

Maybe reach out to grocers? Actually go in and start a conversation with the meat department manager and ask if they ever sell meat by the case. Independent, smaller grocery stores will be more cooperative and understanding. 

• GimMom and "bully"_lover like this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

We just bought 160 pounds of chicken leg quarters from a local grocery store for $100! I would love to get my hands on some venison our boys haven't had that for a long time! I'm going to call around today and see what I can find. I'll keep you guys updated. 
Thank you!!

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Nice score!!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
How long will that last your ankle biters? :P
  • allyshort2 likes this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hahaha!! Not as long as we would like ;) It will probably last us about a month ... 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Wow! My boys will start out eating about 3 lbs a day, combined. I have a feeling that may drop, though.

Any luck with finding other meat?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Want to shank my husband. Walmart had 10# bags of chicken quarters for $4.89 ($2.09 off) and there were at least 7 bags of food, but he said to pass the meat up because he thinks we have enough. Granted they get reduced quite a bit, but still doesn't make me want to shank him any less. Oh well, 50# will last them a few weeks, then I can stock up again. :)
  • GimMom likes this

zeusgsd

zeusgsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am from Fresno too and I've been looking around and the only butcher I found out about closed down half a year ago. There are no co-ops around here, the only one I know of is SoCal barf but the closest distributing point is Bakersfield and you would have to volunteer to go work in LA where their main distributing center is at. I've been on the hunt for green tripe and I don't seem to find any around here unless I order it online which I don't want to do. But as far as meats and rmb's go I currently bought from J&D food supply on Maple and Jensen I got beef liver for $.77 a pound in a 40lb case, turkey necks for $.89 cents a pound in a 30lb case, and ground turkey for $1.47 a pound in a 20lb case. It's ok for right now better than actual supermarket prices and they have a good selection but for me I want that fresh green tripe and I'll be happy.
  • GimMom and allyshort2 like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Zeusgsd, do you have any Asian or Indian markets near you? I live in Toronto and I don't have access to processors to get huge orders, but I do go to the ethnic markets and usually find a good selection for very cheap.

And .89/lbs is awesome for turkey necks. Up here I pay $1.49/lbs. But I can get chicken backs for .79/lbs, so it balances out. I also find $3 packages of beef or pork heart, and there's usually a good 2lbs in the package. The only thing I haven't found is green tripe, they only have honeycomb or white tripe.

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Wow, I have never heard of J&D Food Supply-I will have to check that out. I did make contact with a local butcher for turkey necks and they charge 1.25 or 1.50 per pound in 30 pound cases. We have found a store here, in Fresno, called; Vallarta. They have chicken leg quarters on sale every 4-6 weeks for under .80per pound and beef liver is usually .99per pound. They will allow us to buy as much as want. But I really want to add more variety than just chicken. 

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

http://www.yellowpag...ervice-11211196

Is this the place?

zeusgsd

zeusgsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes that's it you just have to buy by the case and you get really good deals and if you go to their website they have a spot where it let's you put your name "business" number and email and they will send you a list of the products they carry and its a 73 page list but they sell the whole chicken or turkey by the case which saves you money, at least I know I saved. Is there any way you can ask your butcher if he can get green tripe?

zeusgsd

zeusgsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
They also carry game meats which I thought was surprising but good. And GimMom I have gone to the ethnic shops and I've gone to vallarta which is a Latin place but the prices did not compare to the food supy place I went to. One thing I did ask for at Vallarta was beef bones for my dog to play with and they got me a bone that was 2 feet long and about 6 in wide, I was happy with that and so was my dog

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you!! They emailed me a list of meat products but I'm not sure how to order yet? Do I need to call to set up an account or can I do it online?

Thanks!!

zeusgsd

zeusgsd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's just a list and since you are not a business you have to go to the actual place and on the side you will see a sign saying Will Call and its pointing by the trucking place and that's where you order and get your product, you can't miss it, the office has a big blue sign that says Will Call

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you sooooooooo much!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO