Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raw Fed Thanksgiving

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

My grocery store's deal on turkey's kind of sucks since you have to spend $25 to take advantage and can only buy one.  But .66/pound is a good price for turkey so I picked up the biggest low sodium one I could find and decided to feed it as is mostly because I'm lazy.  I chopped one breast off and gave that plus the giblets to my cat and ferrets.  I thought using a crate pan was a smart idea but ALL the dogs seemed convinced it was a black hole in the middle of the kitchen, I had to physically put their paws on it to get them to stand on it. I fed it like this for two days and then broke it down further today and froze some. 

Jersey was super prissy, like over the past month she's forgotten how to eat big food. 

IMG_2244_zpseeffd818.jpg

But the other two dug right in

IMG_2252_zps9d94897f.jpg

IMG_2248_zps40e34d62.jpg

• naturalfeddogs and lovemypits like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Nice!!! Our girls got the carcass from an elk for their thanksgiving meal. But I was lazy and didn't take photos lol

Did you do a true gorge/fast meal?

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

No they've been eating pretty controlled meals since the pig ran out and they haven't gotten a lot of turkey lately, I didn't want to risk the gas and extra poop.  I let them eat about 15 minutes each, weighed it after the 2nd day and they had eaten about 12 pounds so they got more than double normal portions.  It went good though, I've got huge chunks of deer up next so this was a trial run. 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Looks like the other two enjoyed themselves! I saw turkey for 44 cents a pound at Walmart ... Guess I should have jumped on it. Last year I remember seeing it as low as 19 cents a lb! Wasn't in the PMR mindset then, though .... Maybe I'll get two and label each one for the boys (once we get to turkey, that is!)

Love the pictures!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Your mindset will change, that's for sure! Even if you have to run into the store to get something from the pharmacy you'll make the side trip to the meat section to make sure there aren't any good deals!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I'm already starting to look at prices! If we wouldn't of had stops yesterday, we would have brought home 110 lbs of chicken quarters. lol I always stop at the pet section (not like the boys need more collars, as I can make them, and they refuse to play with anything except sticks and apples) ... The meat section can be my new must stop. :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
You'll learn that having a back up cooler in your car is a must have for instances like that lol!
  • Jordann likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

If it makes you feel any better we got free duck on Thanksgiving and Avery refused to eat it.  I even tried getting all the feathers off with no luck.  I will probably have to skin them perfectly to get Avery to touch it...WHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR!?!?!

I think its awesome you were able to get them to eat it though.  Aren't dogs so weird? One thing off and they think the world will end.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Skinning ducks is a huge PITA.  Give me anything but ducks.  I think I've got 2-3 left of the 20 some I bought this fall.  Only Ripley would eat them with feathers and after day one she puked up a crapton of feathers and then didn't want to eat them whole either.  So I've been skinning and they have eaten several every week because I want to be done with them so bad. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Ducks are really hard to skin....good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO