Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bike Leash For The Hound!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Last night was thanksgiving with my family. Like always, we got on the topic of our dogs, and I was talking about wanting to get my roller blades from my mom and dad's house so I could get Calvin more tired after walks. I swear with that boy the longer we walk, the more energy he picks up! My dad told me about his bike leash he got for their Dane, Lola. They only got to use it for one season, before she started showing signs of arthritis in her back, so dad immediately stopped doing the bike leash. I heard about it and how much she loved it, so dad said since he and Lola don't use it anymore, to take it and keep it for Calvin.

We got home about 10 last night, so I didn't do it then. This morning it decided to rain like crazy, so one of these days we will get out there and try it. I want to get/make Calvin some boots to wear for the running.

This leash goes on the seat post, so your dog is blocked by the frame, from running in front of, or behind your bike. Calvin is shorter than Lola, so I will be adding an extension, but I will definitely be starting him out with the pinch collar, just so he doesn't take off after a deer or cat.

Has anybody used this sort of thing before? How did your dog like it?

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

is it like a Springer attachment?  i have one of those but my girls are too old to do that kind of intensity on pavement now, but my Rotti loved being able to run with it. It takes some getting used to but if yours is like mine, i wouldn't worry about being pulled around. My girl is about 130 lbs and she couldn't pull me over. I'm not sure i'd use a pinch seeing as the movements are sudden and jerky, especially when learning, i wouldn't want to cause unnecessary pain since you have no control on when they get pinched. I think i used a martingale collar (and possibly harness) which worked well.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
It has a spring. The brand is walky dog. I have been wanting to make a martingale for the boys. Guess we shall see what works best for him. :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I would like to try one of those, but I have always had this thought that my dog would jerk to the side for whatever reason, and pull the whole bike over with me. It would just be my luck!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's what scares me too! lol He is a good walker, but I know he would see a deer I wouldn't and would be gone, with me still attached. lol

Our bike has low tread n the tires, and they go flat crazy fast, so it'll be a while before we try it. Some day!
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I have a Walky Dog too. Works great. I wouldn't use pinch collar though. I use a harness and have no problems. Start out in a area with no or little distractions at first so your dog will get use to it and know what to expect.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
How did you extend the leash part? My poor boy isn't as tall as my parents Dane (not by a long shot) .... Doesn't help his front is a bit shorter than his hindend. Thinking I will start with a collar first, then see what works best for him.

I really like the placement of this bike leash, compared to the other ones I have seen. Only time will tell how we do with it though. :)

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I didn't have to extend it for mine. You could use a choker extended out and use a double clip on one end.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
My husband gave me a crazy look when I told him I couldn't figure out how to extend the walker. He pointed out I have lots of webbing and leash clips I can sew, to help poor Calvin out. lol

Thank you for the choker suggestion!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO