Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Love Deer Season!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Got a couple of deer:

deerdogfood_zps5f089f2e.jpg

and another

sargeanddozerdeer_zps8df21e48.jpg

While skinning the first one, Sarge wanted to supervise

sargeandhangingdoe_zps059aff6d.jpg

Supervising wasn't enough. Sarge wanted to help skin them

sargeandhangingdoehelping_zps451f06f4.jp

sargeandhaningdoeagain_zps6e23592d.jpg

A trip to the processor (I made some trips during archery so I didn't have much space left) A couple of rib cages and a bag of meat. Yeah! MEAT! My processor guy is awesome and he volunteered to cut all the belly flaps off the deer he had hanging (about 20) for me. 

deerprocessorbellyflaps_zps68a9c9e0.jpg

My three packed freezers

My small chest freezer. A teeny bit of space left, I will be going back to the processor to fill in the cracks of space. 

deerfilledsmallchestfreezer_zpsdeacf2f4.

large chest freezer

deerfilledlargechestfreezer_zps9a6b148d.

my crammed stand up freezer

deerfilledstandupfreezer_zps1fa2f97d.jpg

Don't mind me, I am just psyched because full freezers make me happy. 

• naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal, GimMom and 1 other like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Holy cow! And here I was excited about my 48 lbs of chicken I got today. I need to get ian touch with a local processor badly! Gotta start stocking up!

Do you feed the skin, or no?

Yay full freezers! :)
  • OwnedBySilly likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Ahhh RIP pretty deer.... but totally jealous of all that meat!!

With three freezers like that I'm pretty sure I could feed my dog for years LOL

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
That's so freaking awesome! We need to look into game processors in our area....
  • GimMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts

That's so freaking awesome! We need to look into game processors in our area....

Hope you aren't near Mt Rainier ... I'll be hogging all of those people ...... Assuming you're even in WA state. lol

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

No, we live in Idaho, but only about 2 miles from the WA state border. We will hog the Spokane ones! BUT there's a HUGE raw feeding community in Seattle....so good luck! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I'm almost to Lewis County ... BFE ... People out here don't care how their dogs eat, even if they get deer and elk. I'll take what their dogs should be getting ... I can't wait for us to get a cow. Hubby doesn't know I have decided on us getting one this year, but he'll deal. We'll definitely need another freezer after we do that!

Sorry to steal your thread, Wolfsnaps!
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

lol It's all good. These forums are all about communication right? I have two processors literally minutes from me and I can't even take all the scraps from ONE! If I had room for a fourth freezer I would get one. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Yay, that's how I feel too! I'm just super excited, because I feel like I'm finally going to get into the PMR. I got a whole 48 lbs ... Other people are posting ... oh I don't know ... a few freaking deer they have gotten! =P Ok, ok .. I'm just jealous. :D

My father-in-law does his own cutting and whatnot, and he knows some hunters, so I'm hoping I will get some of the organs and stuff from them. Our neighbors are AVID hunters and I think he processes what they get, so hopefully he'll share with me too. He has given the boys some elk bones before, after asking us of course.

Can I just say I'm happy happy happy happy happy happy happy to finally be doing something so right for my boys? Haven't even started yet, but you wouldn't know it. lol

Ok off to watch PMR youtube videos :D
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Ok I am cheating on this one. This is going for the humans. I have ZERO space left for dog food and have resorted to storing stuff out in the snow. I am going to feed the dogs the organs, ribs, neck, and head from this deer. The rest we are bringing to make into hot sticks and jerky. 

Me. I got her this morning. Tomorrow is the last day for rifle season here and I still have a tag left so I will probably go. 

mydoe_zpse9535f2d.jpg

• Prey Model Raw, GoingPostal and Jordann like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I wish they would let us shoot does here, it's pretty much all we saw!  Jerky and sticks are about the only way I will eat venison but nobody in my family ever gets them for some reason. 

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Oh I like steak too :)

Don't care at all for sticks, my husband LOVES it though.

I do like jerky. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
It's crazy the different numbers and types you can get everywhere. Here you can get one buck, or one doe with a special but crazy expensive tag.

The tag my father in law gets is for one deer and one elk, and for an additional fee, he can get cougar and bear. He's wanting to get coyotes over the summer, but you don't eat their meat? Can dogs eat it, or is it a faux pas to feed it? Or have weird things, lie bear (and I think cougar) .... Probably a crazy obvious answer, but if they aren't going to eat the meat, why not give it to the boys?

*ETA - I think I remember seeing you shouldn't feed carnivores other carnivore meat/organs? Just trying to make sure everything gets used, that wouldn't normally be used. :)

Edited by Jordann, 13 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

It's usually a no no to feed carnivores to carnivores. Bear and cougar can carry parasites that cause all kinds of issues like trichinosis. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's what I thought I remembered. Thank you :)

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

deerribsinthesnow_zps35ed3df8.jpg

Went to the processor today. It is the last day of rifle. These came from Friday's deer. There was a lot there but I had no room as it is (this stuff is in the snow lol). There were over a hundred deer today waiting to be processed and more were coming in as hunters brought them. Can you imagine? Hundreds of deer ribs, necks, etc. Its like a dream. LOL. 

My guy told me to come back in muzzleloader season (after Christmas) and I just might. 

Jordann: I love your enthusiasm. Feeding raw makes you feel good about your dogs (and cats) nutrition, doesn't it? If only I could eat as healthy. (I am a work in progress).

I would NEVER feed carnivores. On top of what Natalie said, you have to worry about rabies, lepto, etc. Too many what ifs. Not to mention I think its creepy. 

Going Postal: oh our deer population is crazy. That is how I can hunt so much. When you apply for a license here, you get a buck tag. Then you can apply for a doe tag. After that you can apply for a bonus doe tag, then you can apply again if there are any left. You can also apply for tags out of your area. For example, I hunt at a friend's farm and also public game lands. That is one area. Where I actually live is considered a different area and I would need different tags for it. Which means I could get ANOTHER tag. There are less deer where I live so my husband and I usually go to the farm/public area. My husband and I both got 4 tags this season which means we could get 8 deer between the 2 of us. CRAZY! We won't be filling our tags this year I don't think. He is out hunting all day today and then rifle is over. Muzzleloader is coming and you never know I guess. 

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ahhh RIP pretty deer.... but totally jealous of all that meat!!

With three freezers like that I'm pretty sure I could feed my dog for years LOL

Ahahaha same. I was like :o when I saw the pictures! Gimli would be well stocked for a considerable amount of time, given he does maybe 30lbs a month, tops. :P

Awesome pics! I wish I could get my hands on deer! We're actually thinking about moving to B.C in a couple of years, so that might be more possible out there, I think.

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

My sister in law hit a deer the other day. My father in law brought it to me. LOL. Its nice to know people. I hope my dogs don't get sick of venison anytime soon. I do also supplement with a little bit of rabbit, beef, chicken, and quail but venison is the staple around here for now.

• Prey Model Raw, GimMom and Jordann like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

If that's what's accessible, then why not? I'd love to get deer meat in the rotation! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
We aren't allowed to take dead animals from the road, so they just throw them away. Makes me sick. Maybe I'll take the dogs out to the next road kill we find and let them eat off it. If a cop comes, I'll pretend they're strays I'm trying to get. :)

I just don't get why they would rather throw away a deer or elk, instead of letting someone take it. But what do I know? :)

Can I send the boys your way? :) I think I'm going to take up hunting this year. Hubby and I could get 2 elk and 2 deer (together, 1 each) .... That would set us up for a while! Def would need another freezer if we both got something, though. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO