Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting A Puppy On Raw

- - - - - puppy raw start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, my name is Chamo! I'll be bringing home a staffordshire bull terrier on Dec 12. His name is Milo, and he will be 8 weeks old exactly. Now, his breeder has been feeding him kibble, but I want to put him on a raw diet. I haven't really found a website that has told me what to feed a puppy that young? Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • VictorSl and RichardRes like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! There is a great getting started guide here on this site, have you read it? You will start a puppy as you would any dog, only a puppy will eat at least three times a day. I have always just fed according to body weight. (too thin, more. Getting too fat less). Math isn't my strong point at all,  but I believe you should expect to feed 2% of the projected adult weight. Starting with the blandest easiest to digest protein, chicken. Then move on to turkey then on to red meats followed by organs,

• RichardRes likes this

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks, Jenny! Is he too young to give chicken feet as treats?

• RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Nope! Not too young at all.

• RichardRes likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Puppies usually transition super fast- faster than adult dogs. But just like Jenny already posted- follow the getting started guide on the main page of this website. There should be a section on how much to feed puppies on there :)
  • RichardRes likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Here's a snipit from the guide about puppies:

"It takes a bit more math if starting a puppy. Start off feeding 10% of its current weight, meaning if a puppy weighs 10 pounds, feed 1 pound per day. If this puppy is supposed to be 60 pounds full grown, its ideal amount of food per day is 1.2-1.8 pounds per day. Once the puppy reaches ~18 pounds, or the 3% amount of adult body weight, you should back the amount down the 2-3% for normal feeding. You will only be feeding 10% for a little while, which is normal. Its better to split this amount up into several smaller meals since this will be a lot of food for a little growing puppy. Remember, this is just a guideline and every dog is different."

Sometimes puppies need a little help breaking up bones so you can whack chicken wings or drumsticks with a kitchen mallet to emulate mama dog chewing up food for her babies.

Keep us posted!
  • naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Can't wait to see pictures of Milo when you get him! Only 4 more days! :)

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you everyone for your input! I can't wait :)

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

We have a raw fed puppy whose parents were fed raw, and who was weaned directly onto raw. I didn't think he'd be able to do it, but he's VICIOUS with a chicken thigh. His jaws cut straight through bone like it didn't exist. :startle: Fortunately, though his jaw strength cannot be denied, he's remarkably gentle when mouthing other things. He's never once broken my skin or even caused me any pain.

I think puppies are easier because they are eager to try new things at that tender age and aren't set in their ways yet.

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oh wow! Good to know! Thank you!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is Milo doing? Haven't heard from you in a while!

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

so sorry for the late reply! I've been so busy with Milo and everything! He loves his food! He's very active, just got neutered, but still a crazy little pup :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO