Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Boys And Their Rib Bones

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Tank
cf7ea09b1a23df814fc47785a0a1a1bb.jpg

Tank
2e0095775dc871bf042999a8c081af40.jpg

Calvin, he's an old pro at this, didn't ya know?
53e1a5f6cc46aece30bd58040b9976b8.jpg

Tilly felt it was time to thoroughly inspect Calvin's face, eyes, neck, and snout. Calvin didn't react in anyway at all. :)
c0c4f7353368fbeb66eb3dd07aac86b6.jpg

Ok, so the last picture looks like he wants to eat her, but he never paused, growled, or seemed to care she was there. That picture says otherwise though. lol
  • Prey Model Raw and Howardsi like this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Tank is GORGEOUS.

Are you putting your cat on PMR too? :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I would love to, but she's a jerk and thinks anything but her kibble is poison. How she got so fat is beyond me. Once I get the boys switched, and the holidays pass, she will be in the transition to PMR. I plan on offering her whatever the boys eat, before they get their food. So they remember who is in charge, and to see if she'll take anything, without worry of the food not getting eaten. If that makes sense. :)

The boys are so ready to switch. Kibble is getting lower and lower. I'm thinking a week or two more, then it'll be gone, and they'll be healthy.

A humorous side note. I told the vet the boys are getting switched soon and he was all for it, but the receptionist had her reservations. They both told me to make sure I add lots of veggies and fruits and grains into the diet so they get a good variety, and get all the vitamins and minerals they need. The tech sat there quietly and never said a thing. I told them I have done weeks of research, and know how I will be feeding the boys, so they get the full benefits, thank you for your suggestions. Don't think they caught what I meant, but the tech laughed so I know she did. So, I apparently have a vet who endorses BARF. Not PMR.

Oh well, we don't go to them unless we absolutely have to. :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I would love to, but she's a jerk and thinks anything but her kibble is poison. How she got so fat is beyond me. Once I get the boys switched, and the holidays pass, she will be in the transition to PMR. I plan on offering her whatever the boys eat, before they get their food. So they remember who is in charge, and to see if she'll take anything, without worry of the food not getting eaten. If that makes sense. :)

The boys are so ready to switch. Kibble is getting lower and lower. I'm thinking a week or two more, then it'll be gone, and they'll be healthy.

A humorous side note. I told the vet the boys are getting switched soon and he was all for it, but the receptionist had her reservations. They both told me to make sure I add lots of veggies and fruits and grains into the diet so they get a good variety, and get all the vitamins and minerals they need. The tech sat there quietly and never said a thing. I told them I have done weeks of research, and know how I will be feeding the boys, so they get the full benefits, thank you for your suggestions. Don't think they caught what I meant, but the tech laughed so I know she did. So, I apparently have a vet who endorses BARF. Not PMR.

Oh well, we don't go to them unless we absolutely have to. :)

Didn't you say your kitty took several licks at the bags of meat you scored from the butcher? Maybe there is hope ;D Cats are always so darn finicky, it's hard to switch them lol!

Yeahhh I just don't discuss diet with my vet :) She has warned me to about parasites/bacteria but left it at that (which I appreciate because let's face it, an improperly done raw diet can definitely be detrimental to a dog's health).

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
She did shove her face in the bags and lick, but refused anything I offered her yesterday. Brat!

I really should listen to their opinions about diet. Right after we finished talking about raw, they talked about their Royal Canin and Hill's orders. They def know what they are talking about. :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

She did shove her face in the bags and lick, but refused anything I offered her yesterday. Brat!

I really should listen to their opinions about diet. Right after we finished talking about raw, they talked about their Royal Canin and Hill's orders. They def know what they are talking about. :)

If you aren't feeding on a schedule, that will help.. and so will cutting the meat up into teeny tiny pieces lol!

Oh yeah totally. Corn is totally biologically appropriate for a cat ;) haha

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I thought so too! Forget PMR, I'm growing a field of wheat and corn for the kids!

She has herself on 3 feedings a day. What can I say, she's just a fat ass. lol I need to get the picture up, that I got of her today. I was cracking up!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Don't mind the unvacuumed floor ... (or the crappy cell phone picture)
5ed586ba846205454126c656a5872c74.jpg
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Tank is such a stud!!! He's a natural raw eater. 

I love the kitty-inna-basket :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Calvin with his ribs (I think) ... The boys got to pick their own bones today
fe48f8695d211849b8b9a6471c79e67c.jpg

Calvin ripping some goodness off
500b8f901b94f3452a548c4b9bf52f35.jpg
  • Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I wish my brat would use his paws like that! :P

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Every now and then they don't use their feet. Don't want to get te prissy paws "dirty" ... They are starting to care less, though. :)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

He ALMOST made me proud when he was working on his ribs tonight and daintily put his paw on the meat, only to snatch it away. My dog is a diva.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Give him time and he will learn!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, the more he eats ribs, the more I see him use his paw. He did it with the fish heads before, too, so he's figuring it out slowly. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
When Tank got to eat a neighbor's whole chicken, he used his paws like a pro. Calvin refused to eat anything from the chicken, even after Tank got it started.

Stupid meat shop in town can't get the turkey necks, because their distributor is out. Their Great-Grandma felt bad, so she bought the boys all te turkey necks from her commissary, until the shop gets the necks in. That was last week,and their poops have been great. We ran out f necks Saturday, so today we started pork, since turkey was so uneventful. Poor Gus need to get boneless meat, their poops are getting hard. Tonight they get a chicken quarter,just to see make sure all continues ok. (don't kill me Natalie!) They are dong well with the transition, though! Poops are doing great! It's nice to pick up poop on walks, that is shapely and doesn't smell!!!!!!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Why would I "kill" you LOL!

You're doing great. The further into raw feeding you get the less you even really worry about the small stuff. You just feed the dogs and live life. I'm mean, hell....dogs survive on Ol' Roy!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
It just seems weird to be pushing them to the third protein already. I know dogs move at different paces through the getting started guide. I stayed on chicken a little longer than I needed to, I think. Calvin sure was happy to be off of the chicken! I need to stock up on food again! Silly me to think I would have a bunch of turkey necks and chicken to fall back on, while introducing new proteins. Good thing they ate more than needed yesterday, so if I don't get out to the store, I won't feel bad. They do well with the large meals (one two days worth) then fasting for a day. They make it really easy to feed them and be lazy (but safe about it!) .... They are doing so great!! They are more relaxed after meals now. Today I was scooping poop (still trying to catch up from this year) and they found a spot and started grooming themselves. It's like Tank isn't as jumpy now. I love it!!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

There's an important part of raw feeding called "Know Thy Dog" and it can be applied to the transition. If you feel your dog is doing great and can expedite the guidelines set out on the main page....then by all means move ahead! 

Glad to hear that things are going great, keep up the good work! 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, Natalie's right with Know Thy Dog. Your boys transitioned nicely, whereas mine was a pain in the butt. Some dogs just have a cast iron gut and can take anything you throw at them. And then there's dogs that don't, and each new protein is a nail biting wait and see game. :P

It's not until about 6 or so months into raw that you need to start worrying about any deficiencies (am I right on that, Natalie?), I believe.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO