Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tongue?

tongue pork beef lamb goat muscle organ raw feeding help beginner to feed or not to feed

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Hey guys, I had a question on tongue. Beef tongue, pork tongue, lamb, goat, ect. Is it a muscle meat or an organ? & Is it okay to feed my pit bull this & can I include it in her diet & rotation it with her other meals?

Again, you guys are awesome & Autumn is doing great so far! She is now on chicken, turkey, & fish. Fish, we introduced almost a week ago now & she is doing great! 

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Tongue is muscle meat, and a great source of nutrition! Add it in often if you can find a reliable source. Treat it just like any other boneless red meat.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Is that Autumn in your profile pic? She's adorable! I'm a huge Pit Bull fan :P

I'm going to try tongue next time. Still skeeves me out a bit, seeing them in the package in the Asian market!

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Tongue is muscle meat, and a great source of nutrition! Add it in often if you can find a reliable source. Treat it just like any other boneless red meat.

I haven't add any boneless red meats yet. I didn't know tongue is considered a red meat! Autumn is almost done with her fish transition, next with be pork. So far she's been in rotation with Chicken, Turkey, & Fish. That's why the question for tongue cos I have a good supplier for it just didn't know which category it falls under. But what do you mean by treat? How should I treat it any boneless red meat?

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Is that Autumn in your profile pic? She's adorable! I'm a huge Pit Bull fan :P

I'm going to try tongue next time. Still skeeves me out a bit, seeing them in the package in the Asian market!

It is! That is my baby girl! That's an older photo of her though, in her baby days. I'll post some of her current ones soon... as soon as my camera reappears.

& I know, it gives me bumps. My parents eat it every once in a while, they favor beef tongue than any other... But what can you say, we're Asian. We don't let any part of an animal go to waste! (: 

• GimMom and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
A lot of people we know like tongue. I can't get past the thought of what it would feel like.

When I get to tongue, the boys will just get larger meals on tongue days .... I'm cool with giving out legs and organs and whole bodies, but tongue bugs me?? The mind is weird! lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

^I'm exactly the same way! Handle a kidney, spleen or liver and chuck a few pieces of heart their way, but tongue is just NO. Ahaha

And I'm always excited for more Pittie pics! She is so cute my heart exploded.

• Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
Tounge is a muscle meat, and a good one to geed. Its rich though, so go slow at first.

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I feed my crew tongue often, I mix it in as I would any other boneless meat.    It did gross me out at first especially beef tongue, it is prickly like  a cats tongue, but you get use to it.

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

So when I do add in tongue, how should I incorporate it into meals? Any meal put-togethers (Chicken back & tongue or turkey wing & tongue)?

I also I had another question for those of you who would be willing to give me a meal plan like a routine you guys have or how you guys put together meals for your pets each day & if you guys pre prep & pack everything & store it away until feeding time? I'm beginning to have a little trouble balancing out each meat source into each meal each day. & the last thing I want is Autumn becoming ill or malnourished due to a lack of a something she's not given enough.  

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Here are some photos of my bat. Lol. 

Attached Files

• GimMom and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I just melted. She is beautiful!!!!

I feed chicken quarters ... Will be adding turkey necks in. Can't help ya there. lol Although, once I'm through the quarters, I think I will just stick with getting whole chicken bodies (minus innards and necks) because I get them when they hit their date, so they drop like 30 or 40 cents a lb, and there's a whole body for them to eat. :)

Interested to hear what other people do, as well.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
We have four dogs, so when I feed tounge I buy two and cut each one in half. For my crew that half of a tounge is a meal. Its pretty rich, so depending on your dog you may want to start slow at first.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Here are some photos of my bat. Lol. 

THE. EARS. <3 She's so pretty, I love her face in the third pic. 

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

We have four dogs, so when I feed tounge I buy two and cut each one in half. For my crew that half of a tounge is a meal. Its pretty rich, so depending on your dog you may want to start slow at first.

Do you just feed tongue on its own? & would you add more bone in the other meal to kind of even out the ratio?

• Spy Car likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

You can, but if they've never had tongue or a rich meat like it before, add it in with a bone in meal. I added beef heart (another rich protein) in small chunks with turkey necks or chicken backs and then slowly decreased the bone while adding a bit more heart each time.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

What I would do, is feed a bone heavy meal "sandwiched" around a small meal (1/4 the size of a normal meal) of tongue. Mixing proteins can cause digestive upset in the beginning and then you have a hard time figuring out was it just the tongue or was it the fact that they were both served together? 

I mix proteins all the time with my dogs. I just don't recommend it for newly transitioned dogs. 

• GimMom likes this

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Alright. I couldn't get any pork tongue so I got pork hearts instead. I understand its very rich also, so I could do the same bone heavy meal sandwiched with 1/4 of heart, yeah? What should a weeks worth of meals with different proteins look like, I'm having a little trouble balancing them out throughout the week lately with so many now. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep! That's a safe technique to use whenever adding in something new or rich.

What I would do to help with the balancing act of meat:bone is write down what you feed each day and the approximate weight or size or quantity of the meal. That way you can keep track of what they've had with or without bone and when.
  • GimMom likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tongue, pork, beef, lamb, goat, muscle, organ, raw feeding help, beginner, to feed or not to feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO