Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So Itchy!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

My poor girl Tyra is so itchy, even worse than when on kibble :(

The first week of raw was great but then during the second week the scratching started. I was only feeding chicken and turkey necks at that time. Around the third week i introduced beef and have been feeding a variety of the 3 ever since but she's still really bad. Its not just constantly scratching, all along her back there are spots with oily brown substance at her skin. I shaved her pretty short the other day and it all washed off, but she has these spots all over. Now her normally pink skin looks enflamed all over and she's scratching her sides raw. We're now in week 5 and my hubby and i are wondering if this just isn't working for her, or to wait it out and see if its getting worse before it gets better (detoxing?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
Could still be detoxing. How about dish oil? Are you giving any? Being winter dry skin could also be an issue. Cold air, dry heat inside. Just a thought.

viry

viry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=gl_X1I1GJ1Q

This video might help

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

thanks so much for the link Viry!!  i'm pretty sure its yeast, she's always had a funky smell to her skin and gets grimy really fast (along with the worst breath in the world). i'm used to seeing all kinds of yeast at the grooming shop on clients, I'm just not used to seeing it at the stage Tyra has. For most dogs that have it everywhere, they also have elephant skin and chunks of yellowing skin flakes which is easy to recognize as yeast. Or the common feet and ears from bad treats.

I'm still kind of lost on what to do other than get her in for allergy or immune tests which i'm sure is a pretty penny, but i'll definitely try spraying and wiping her down with a natural anti-bacterial wash to see if that helps relieve her itchiness. I'm really hoping this is her detoxing and is just a change in her immune system that will eventually even out and be positive.

I wish more vets were like her!

viry

viry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My dog has yeast too. She doesn't have the elephant skin but she is pink all over and moderate itch.
The vinegar rinses have really helped a lot. It helped her grow back some fur. I am not an expert but must most of the literature and experience from the pros suggest that it all comes from gut health. Has your dog been on antibiotics or steroids ? That usually makes yeast worse. Most seasoned natural raw feeders recommend using a good probiotic daily. My dog was doing really well when I would give her aloe ( the inside gel only ) then I stopped and her skin flared up again. :/ . I started the aloe again today.
Any FYI this isn't going to get fixed overnight, my dog has had yeast since May . It's much better but I know there is still a long road ahead :(

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

yes, its a battle for sure. Thanks for your feedback, i just need a spray bottle and i'm going to start doing it as a daily routine.

No, she hasn't been on any antibiotics as long as i've known her (5 years).  I also watched her video on coconut oil and i think i'm going to start giving her a tablespoon of that a day and see if it helps her insides. Could help and i don't think it would contribute in making it any worse. Have you considered that for your dog?

viry

viry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I put coconut oil on her skin in between baths. Good luck . If you find anything that works well please let me know.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I also had yeast issues with mine, and found that too much chicken, even in raw form, gave him the itch all over. Then his ears would start turning pink, too. Vinegar rinses definitely helped, and I used Zymox in his ears when we first switched to raw and his yeast allergy was at its worst. It went away and then kind of came back a little bit, but once I reduced his chicken intake (he still gets drummies once a week), he was much better.

• Rambo's Mum and viry like this

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

nice to see i'm not the only one going through this when making the transition. I'm going to cut out the beef and go back to chicken/turkey necks for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. If nothing changes, i'll try cutting poultry. I've done 2 lemon/vinegar rinses and she only scratched a little bit this morning at around 9am instead of coming in and waking us up at 7 scratching continuously. Maybe i'm grasping at straws but maybe its a good start too!

• Jordann likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Oregano oil would also be a good supplement to start giving.

In a clinical study, they saw an 80% recovery rate in mice infected with fatal amounts of candida. It is really effective against yeast :) You could try giving her some in her food (diluted with olive oil) and putting some on her body (look up OregaPet products like the bed & body spray).

I have used oregano oil successfully with my yeasty foster dog. It helped a lot :)

• viry likes this

viry

viry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Taquitos , that's awesome information. !!
I have oil of oregano in capsules, she hates the smell but I think if I cover it with coconut oil she will take it. (Fingers crossed) . Does the study mention anything about how long it takes ?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Taquitos , that's awesome information. !!
I have oil of oregano in capsules, she hates the smell but I think if I cover it with coconut oil she will take it. (Fingers crossed) . Does the study mention anything about how long it takes ?

I didn't read the whole study, but here's the abstract for it. I don't think it says how long it took, but if you got your hands on the actual article, I'm sure it would mention how long it took :) http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11855736

EDIT: 

Actually it says in 30 days they achieved 80% survivability in the mice.

• viry likes this

viry

viry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is oregano oil the same as origanum ?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Is oregano oil the same as origanum ?

Oregano is a common specie of origanum :)

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

thanks for the suggestions!  i just tried putting oregano oil and coconut oil in her breakfast and she didn't eat it, went right for the turkey neck. I think i put too much in though, 3-4 drops and i forgot how potent it is. I ended up putting that amount into her skin rinse(with coconut oil also), so i'll just do that for now, at least it will get on her skin.

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

this whole raw feeding is getting frustrating. My other dog has been throwing up her breakfast, about 3-4 times in the last couple of weeks and i don't know why. She's had no bad reaction to the transition, only the throwing up. 

With that and the other being itchy, i feel like this whole thing isn't working :( 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

What did the barf look like?

Don't get discouraged, I had a lot of hiccups with my transition, too. If chicken is still making the dog itchy, I'd try swapping it for turkey necks. Have you tried the oregano oil?

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

it was just her dinner because it was 5-10 min after feeding. Thinking more about it now, she has had to throw up in the daytime before, and that was bile.  

I worry that turkey necks alone would be too much boneā€¦?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
I have been feeding raw for almost six years now, and one of my girls, Copper will still do that sometimes. Its regurgitating from eating to fast. There is a difference between regurgitating and throwing up. Sounds like regurgitating in your case to me. Give her a chance to re eat it after. Gross, but a lot of times they will. Copper almost always does. Regurgitating is going to happen on occasion and will usually lessen as you get farther into raw. Don't get discuraged! All will be fine.

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Actually that does make sense. She got most of it out on my carpet and then a bit more outside and tried to eat it again. I think my first reaction was just to get it cleaned up. LOL. I'll try looking the other way (or leaving the room) next time and let her eat it again if she wants (gross LOL).  Makes me feel better knowing your dog still does it after all those years :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO