Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Article: How To Get Started Feeding A Prey Model Raw Diet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

Feeding a Prey Model Raw diet can be VERY easy if you follow some simple guidelines when making the switch from kibble to raw. Making this transition as easy as possible is the ultimate goal. Because the easier it is for the dog, it will be easier for you as well. By following the guidelines set below, digestive upset should be at a minimum! This guideline is a tried and true method of making the switch with minimal issues with dogs.

You may not stick to the guideline 100%, and will find yourself taking longer or even shorter to see the desired effect at each step of the way. That is perfectly fine. Every dog is different and will tolerate change at his own pace. Don't feel that if you are falling behind in the schedule that you should just give up. Keep going and you will get there when you do! With all that said, I do NOT recommend skipping steps. If you skip a step you might find yourself behind by two steps. This transition is meant to be slow and for good reason. Make it easy on the dog and yourself.

Commit To Change

Make the switch cold turkey

Continued below...
Click here to view the article

EHubbman

EHubbman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Awesome info, thank you! 

On feeding pups, and specifically large breed pups, I know the calcium/phos ratio is really important. How do you balance that and make sure that you're not feeding too much?

My guy is 7 months currently, and is a Presa Canario (mastiff type from Spanish Canary Islands). His mom is 90-100 lbs, dad is 125 lbs. At 7 months Dominic (my pup) is in at a lean ~80 lbs. Currently he's just on a high quality kibble while I'm getting the funding for freezers/food and doing my research. Any large breed info as it pertains to feeding raw is greatly appreciated!

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I love Presas....great dogs! 

Raw meat and bones when fed at ideal levels are naturally balanced with Ca:P ratio. As long as you stick to feeding mostly muscle meats, some bone and some organ (~80:10:10) the ratio will balance itself. 

We've raised three Dane babies on raw now and I wouldn't ever choose kibble again. I felt like their growth rate was more even and balanced on raw versus growth spurts and lulls on kibble. 

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

erin

erin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Great information. Just thought I'd mention this, something to think on.  Dogs in the wild eating wild herbivores would probably eat the contents of the stomach which would include vegetation and possibly fruit.  Also, coyotes in the wild eat fruit all the time. My dad has persimmon trees on his property and he has game camera set up to take pictures of deer he is hunting. He has several pictures of coyotes raiding all the fallen persimmons.  So it is probable that dogs in the wild eat fruits and vegetables. Food for thought! :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Coyotes and dogs are very distantly related, it's rare for wolves to actually consume the contents of the stomach of their larger prey animals. Rabbits and such are eaten whole, but the contents of the stomach are so minuscule that they don't contribute to overall dietary mass.

Which is why we base this diet off of meat, bones and organs. That said, a raw diet inclusive of vegetable and fruit matter isn't a bad one, just different than what we do here ;) 

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My husband and I are going to be adding a yorkie to our pack. We have only been feeding raw for about a year now and we feed our two big boys. 75 pounds and 150ish pounds. 

We started them on cut up leg quarters. What would you recommend starting our little yorkie on?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I would say Cornish game hens or chicken necks. How big will your new baby be when she comes home?
  • allyshort2 likes this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

He will be about 8 pounds...

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Those should be fine to start with then. Congratulations on the new addition!

vicki

vicki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Our german shepard pup is 11 weeks old.  He's on really good dog food, Acana, and I'm torn between putting him on the raw and sticking with the kibble til he's a bit older.  I'm also worried about the growth, we've had 2 shepards with hip problems before.  I'm absolutely going to do the raw, but wondering if I should wait or not.

Also,  can I buy frozen meat, mix it, package it etc and then refreeze it?  I know that dogs stomachs are a lot more hardy than ours, but is this safe?

Thank you,

lpb_mama

lpb_mama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi. This is such a great website. I am on my way to adopting a rescued fighting pit and she has always been on mixed kibble and vegetables while at the rehabilitat

lpb_mama

lpb_mama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Sorry.. continuation... while at the rehabilitation center shes been fed kibble and vegetables. I have been reading your information carefully and I would love to start her on RAW. 

She is right around 50-70 pounds, medium female blue nose.

I dont want to stress her digestive system, basically my dog in general as soon as she's home. Im just worried that for 2 yrs. shes been used to the center and change of envt. etc can really take its toll on her, THEN id also put her on a diff, diet (RAW).

Need your expert opinion. THANK YOU

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Thanks! Glad you like the website. 

I wouldn't hesitate to start with a PMR diet as long as she's generally healthy. I have always started my dogs on raw the moment they come home. 

Join up on the forum if you haven't done so already and keep us posted on how she does through the transition! 

http://preymodelraw.com/index

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Can't wait to see your journey with your new girl and PMR! :)

raspatua48

raspatua48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Locationpa
First day! Excited at the changes and better health to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO