Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hi From Ohio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I haven't made the change to RAW yet, but I'm getting set to. I have a female Drahthaar that has passed all her tests and x-rays and planning a litter late spring. 

Attached File  photo (1).JPG   218.6KB   0 downloads

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
She is beautiful!!

Welcome to the board! I have just started the switch. They are very helpful here, and can answer any questions you have along the way!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome, welcome!! Your female is beautiful! Are you a breeder?

We are planning our first raw fed litter soon now too! Very exciting :)

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank You. Yes, I'm planning a litter late spring. I had had English Springers and breed, trained, hunted and trialed. Due to life getting to complicated and had to give it up. Still kept a dog or two but couldn't be involved as I wanted to. Now that I retired early I can donate my time to my dogs. I feel in love with the looks, versatility, and temperament of the German line of Drahthaars.  

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Very nice. It's been about 5 years since my last litter so I'm definitely excited for this one. I too also like a mixture of the European lines and the American lines in Great Danes. 

Are you planning on weaning to raw with your first litter this spring? 

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Uncertain about weening puppies on RAW. I need to see how Sophie will do after I start her. My concern is, if I would ween on RAW, most likely puppy buyers won't and then change to kibble. I'm not comfortable of a drastic change of feeding, RAW to kibble, on a 10-12 week old puppy.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Puppies typically do ok with the swap. Maybe raw feeder breeders won't sell to kibble feeding homes.

Or some will switch puppies to kibble before they go to their new homes to be in control of the switch.

When are you planning to switch your female?

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well, I'm still researching...leaning towards I will. I need to get another freezer designated for canines. I hunt and have two deer in the freezer and still have time to get another just for dog food. I guessing around March to make the change. I plan on having a good stocked freezer before I do. I also know a group that buys Eureka and have invited me to join them. A little concerned...been reading on Facebook, Raw Feeding FRIENDS, and people talk a lot about diarrhea, or just the opposite,  not going for a couple of days. Also, getting something stuck in their throats. I have no doubt of the health benefits of feeding RAW, I just got to get everything in order.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
My recommendation is to stick with one well rounded, experienced group of people to help and get advice from. There's so many raw feeding groups out there that all have different schools of thought and techniques. I have faith and experience in the one here (as well a few others).

Pick a community and stick to it. You'll get conflicting information from a lot of the different groups.

drahth56

drahth56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I apologize if I offended you by mentioning a different group. That was not my intention. I only wished to state that I am researching the RAW feeding style. I've been around canines for a long time in feeding, training, competing and breeding. The main thing I've learned is, that what's works for one may not work for another. A person has to develop what works for their own pack. I'm in research mode for feeding RAW. I take all information and come up with what I feel will work for my dogs and I. Again, if I overstepped, I apologize.  

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
No apology necessary- I was not offended. It just can be confusing when you read so much conflicting info on raw.

Once you decide to switch, I would stick to one community. But in the mean time do as much reading as you can and pick whatever makes the most sense. If it for whatever reason doesn't work out, try something else.

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO