Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Boerboel Puppy On Raw

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello all,

I will finally be receiving my Boerboel puppy after waiting anxiously for many weeks. I want to start him on raw right away, against what the breeders have advised. They recommended to wait until he is two years old and to feed him eukanuba large breed adult kibble because it has lower protein so the puppy doesn't grow too fast. I have been researching the raw diet for over a month now, and I am convinced it is the best for my pup. I plan to start him on the PMR diet, but I am unsure exactly how much to feed him. Some people say 2-3% of adult weight (the dad is 160 and mom is a big girl too). Others say to feed 5-10% of current weight, which is what I plan to do. My plan is to start him off at 10%, but how will I know if he is growing too rapidly? The breeder advised that too much protein will cause him to grow too fast, which can cause joint problems. Like most of you, I just want the best for my little guy so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome! Congratulations on the new addition, I love the breed. Some of my favorite dogs.

Raw is absolutely best for giant breed dogs. I've raised three Danes on raw and compared to the one I raised on kibble- their growth was much more even and gradual. I wouldn't ever choose kibble again!

If your pup is 8 weeks old and coming to you at that age you'll want to start with ~3% of its weight the first day or two. Too much food can make them sick. Once they get past the first few days, slowly increase his food to closer to 10% of his current weight.

You feed 10% of his current weight until that number EQUALS 2-3% of his projected adult weight. For example:

Your pup weighs 20 pounds when he arrives. First few days you feed him ~ 0.5 pounds per day (2-3% or 0.02-0.03).

Then after he does well, you feed him closer to 2 pounds per day (10% or 0.10).

Let's say he's going to weigh 130 pounds as an adult. That means you'd feed him ~2.5-4 pounds per day.

So you'd feed him 10% of his current puppy weight until that number equals 2.5-4 pounds, which is somewhere between 25-40 pounds or 3-4 months old. So feeding 10% doesn't last long at all for giant breeds!

Does this help?
  • allyshort2 likes this

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Awesome! That makes things a lot easier! Would you recommend any supplements? I was thinking about a kelp/alfalfa mix and also a whole egg a couple times a week. I will be following the PMR diet for the most part, but I will also be adding a small amount of greens/yogurt for a little bit of fiber and probiotics.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I wouldn't add anything in until fully through the transition of all the available proteins in your area. Which would be a few months in. 

I personally don't see the need to add in greens unless they're raw, and then pureed. I think there's benefit if a dog is immune-compromised like the aid in boosting immune health for a cancer dog. Some of my dogs have never even had greens their entire lives! 

Yogurt is a dairy product and dogs are lactose intolerant. Some dogs handle yogurt just fine, so I would base adding it in how your dog handles it. 

Eggs on the other hand are a great thing to add in on a regular basis. We raise chickens and ducks for eggs, so we add them in all the time. 

The only supplement I would recommend is a high quality, named fish oil. Other than that, there's not a whole lot you can add to a good rotation of meat, bones and organs from a variety of protein sources that'll supply something they aren't getting. 

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks so much for the advice! We get him tomorrow morning! (But my wife doesn't know yet, so she will be waking up to some puppy kisses! Lol) I'm just hoping he takes to the new diet quickly without too much upset tummy.
  • Prey Model Raw, GimMom and Jordann like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Welcome! Congratulations on the new addition, I love the breed. Some of my favorite dogs.

Raw is absolutely best for giant breed dogs. I've raised three Danes on raw and compared to the one I raised on kibble- their growth was much more even and gradual. I wouldn't ever choose kibble again!

If your pup is 8 weeks old and coming to you at that age you'll want to start with ~3% of its weight the first day or two. Too much food can make them sick. Once they get past the first few days, slowly increase his food to closer to 10% of his current weight.

You feed 10% of his current weight until that number EQUALS 2-3% of his projected adult weight. For example:

Your pup weighs 20 pounds when he arrives. First few days you feed him ~ 0.5 pounds per day (2-3% or 0.02-0.03).

Then after he does well, you feed him closer to 2 pounds per day (10% or 0.10).

Let's say he's going to weigh 130 pounds as an adult. That means you'd feed him ~2.5-4 pounds per day.

So you'd feed him 10% of his current puppy weight until that number equals 2.5-4 pounds, which is somewhere between 25-40 pounds or 3-4 months old. So feeding 10% doesn't last long at all for giant breeds!

Does this help?

You are awesome with the info, this makes so much sense. I'm saving this info for when we get another Bugg! :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks so much for the advice! We get him tomorrow morning! (But my wife doesn't know yet, so she will be waking up to some puppy kisses! Lol) I'm just hoping he takes to the new diet quickly without too much upset tummy.

Awwww! I hope my hubs surprises me with the next puppy we get! Congrats on your new addition! Boerboel pups are freakin' adorable!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Most puppies do great.

Just start off slow and steady. Keep us posted!
  • GimMom likes this

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, he LOVES raw chicken! It took him all of about .03 seconds to start going to town on some chicken back! As soon as I started cutting up the bird, he was whimpering and telling me "I'm hungry!" Although, it did take him about 20-30 minutes to crunch up all the bones, he still wanted more after.
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Awesome! How much did you give him? And how much does he weigh?

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
He weighs right around 12lbs. I fed him a single 5oz piece. He hadnt eaten since yesterday around 7pm.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Sounds good. Offer another small meal today and possibly another right before bed

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I think day 1 of raw went well for the little guy. He absolutely loves chicken. When he smells it, he starts whimpering and starts running all over searching for the food. He eats so voraciously, and sometimes he chokes a bit but then coughs it up and chews more. He had a total of 3 stools all day, the first two were hard, but the last one was half hard, half mooshy. He got about 10% of his body weigh worth today, maybe a little less. If his poop stays mooshy after a few days, what should I do?

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Today, I am feeding him a bit less than yesterday. Probably just 3 meals equalling about 8-10oz of Meat. His stools have been loose today, but I am assuming it is just him detoxing. After he pooped, he secreted some yellow liquid from his rear which I am also assuming is just his anal gland secretion as he is marking his new territory. (I had to look this info up)

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Not two minutes after that post he threw up some chicken with bones.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep, feed less today.

Are you skinning and removing excess fat off the chicken?

How long after he ate did he puke?

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have been feeding him the skin but removing excess fat. He threw up about 3-4 hours after his last meal

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I would remove all skin and fat.

How is he doing?

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
More runny poops. I cut off all fat and skin from his recent feeding. I have him a tiny bit of pumpkin to help his diarrhea.

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
He had two poops during the night. One was completely moosh and the other one was a little more firm. He went again this morning but it was yellow and still not firm. After he did his business he walked around and then pooped a clear/slightly yellowish mucus. Any idea what that is from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO