Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Boerboel Puppy On Raw

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The yellow is from chicken....for whatever reason chicken poops are yellowish.

Mucous is from the gut protecting itself from irritants, in this case, just a change in food and increased fat is what probably caused it. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My dog has had the mucous, too. He got it in the beginning when he switched, and then anytime he ate anything that didn't co-operate with his gut (like sneaking kitty kibble). The first time I saw it, I was like "AHH WHAT IS WRONG?!?!", but these guys set me straight :P

• Prey Model Raw likes this

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well his poop still isn't getting better. Now it's back to a brown shade but still a lot of mucous and mush. When I fed him tonight he nearly choked to death on a bone. I had my finger all the way down his throat to get it out, eventually it just went down, but it really scared me and made me wonder if all this is really worth it.

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
This is the best (and smartest) puppy I have ever owned. I don't want to lose him over a friggin chicken bone.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Well his poop still isn't getting better. Now it's back to a brown shade but still a lot of mucous and mush. When I fed him tonight he nearly choked to death on a bone. I had my finger all the way down his throat to get it out, eventually it just went down, but it really scared me and made me wonder if all this is really worth it.

You might want to hold onto the chicken for him to encourage/teach him to chew.

Or you could give him a larger piece and then take it away once he's had about the amount that he is supposed to be getting.

I would also learn to do a doggy heimlich.

Other people will have more suggestions for you, I'm sure :)

I've been feeding my dogs and cats raw for over a year now with no choking accidents. A dog can even choke on kibble, a treat, or even a toy as well, btw. My dog has choked numerous times eating treats during training because he swallowed them too quickly lol...

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the encouragement. He is doing great today, although last night he started acting like he was in a lot of pain and very depressed. I took him to the emergency vet just to be on the safe side, but eventually he came out of whatever state he was in. Today I took a hammer to all the chicken back bones and took out ones that I couldn't shatter into little fragments. I'm also going to look at meat grinders capable of grinding poultry bones.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I know how you're feeling! I think every one of my dogs have given me a choking scare....but they always manage to get the bone back up to rechew it. Makes me wonder if they were actually choking or I was just being overly concerned. 

Smashing the bones for now will help, but so will feeding larger chunks. What are you giving him now? Maybe backs are just too small for him which means chicken quarters would be the best thing to go with. 

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I was feeding him only chicken backs, and today his poop was FINALLY the way it should be. I ended up buying a grinder capable of grinding poultry bones, and it crushed up the backs like a champ. I am going to start feeding him other chicken parts like split breast and legs by gradually increasing muscle meat and decreasing the amount of bone down to around 10%.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Sounds like the perfect plan!

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've noticed it hard for me to tell the percentages of bone in each chicken part. I've seen from some sources that leg quarters contain ~25% bone while other sources say ~35%. This makes it hard to figure out the whole 80/10/10. I'm not sure if I need to add more muscle meat to leg quarters or not. With a huge dog breed puppy, it's crucial that I am not giving him too much calcium, especially at this critical age.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Balance over time is key, so the slight variations in bone content don't matter in the long run.

I've raised three Danes all on raw- transitioning slowly with just bone in chicken the first week or so and then adding more in. They've all grown up perfectly without issues- and I know of many other giant breed puppies that have thrived on raw this way.

It would takes months of feeding just high bone content chicken for you to see the effects- so a few weeks won't matter. Most likely your puppy will transition into the other proteins without issue so maybe just a few more days of chicken quarters before you can add other things in.

Try not to worry too much :)
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Have you posted pictures of your boy yet? Quite excited to see him! :)

MiloTheStaffy

MiloTheStaffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I started off Milo right away after I brought him home. The day before, I prepared all of his meals according to 3% of his ideal matured body weight. He loved the meals but he was not eating all of it, he would eat till his stomach was full. I asked the vet about this and he told me that it was normal for puppies to eat to a "limit." I was concerned but his body weight was normal. Now he's been eating a little for breakfast, more for lunch, and everything for dinner, still eating about 2.5% of his ideal body weight every day. We started off just giving him chicken thigh with the bone for about 2 weeks. Now he is 13 weeks old, he gets an egg with the shell 3 times a week, a small piece of liver every day, chicken thigh and beef chunks every day, and his favorite of all....a chicken foot every day! We also mix in salmon oil and some probiotics just as a maintenance supplement, which is good for his digestive health. Surprisingly, he does not like chicken necks...weirdo :) He also loves vegetables! We give him a little chunk of carrot or a green bean or a chunk of sweet potato and he will eat that first! Sometimes we also give him about 2 slices of banana which he loves also. He's doing really well, very healthy, firm poop, pearly white teeth, and a great, nice-smelling coat :) good luck! I hope this helped!

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

May I ask what breeder you used? My husband and I got our first BB from Fuller Boerboels here in California. They actually started the puppies on raw so when we got our baby at eight weeks we continued and LOVE how much healthier it is for our pack. 

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I got Diesel from Redlands Boerboels in Oregon. He flew all the way to us in Florida. Took him to the vet today and he has coccidia. No biggie, just gave him some Albon. Diesel weighed 13lbs and growing soooo fast!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Coccidia is pretty normal in young puppies. He could have picked it up on the trip from Oregon.

How is he doing?

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Oh wow! Sorry to hear about all the ups and downs with starting your baby BB on RAW. We are a year into feeding RAW and still trying to figure it out. When we got our BB puppy (Zoba) at eight weeks he was twenty pounds and we grounded up leg quarters and beef liver for the first couple weeks then we cut up leg quarters for Zoba after that. We've never had a choking hazard (thank God!) ..but Zoba HATES having to chew through bone so we have to give him whole leg quarters to insure that he will chew instead of just swallow..if he swallows it too soon he will do this hacking thing and bring it right back up hahaha! But that wasn't until recently :)

Good luck!

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Twenty pounds at 8 weeks? Wow! Diesel is thick but he is lean. You can see his ribs and his muscle definition well. He is growing really rapidly right now. He's gained 3lbs in the last couple days and is really thriving on this diet now that he is eating full portions. I've seen a few boerboels weighing about 20-25 lbs at 10 weeks old and they look pretty hefty with no definition. Diesel has been normal today, but sleeping quite a bit more which may be due to the medication he is on. How much is your BB weighing after a year?
  • Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay! Here are some pics!

Attached Files

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Such a cutie!!! I love boerboels. One of my favorites out there.

Thanks so much for sharing him with us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO