Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Boerboel Puppy On Raw

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
About time! :P

What a cutie!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Awww, sooooooo cute! I love the beach pictures, too!

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you! I would say he is growing like a weed but that would be too slow! At 9 weeks he weighed 16lbs from 10lbs when we got him just before 8 weeks! So far I'm happy with the raw diet, and he definitely loves it. He follows me EVERYWHERE with high hopes of getting some grub! We are just starting to feed him some ground beef. It is 90/10, which is probably a bit too lean so I add in a tablespoon of olive oil for some good healthy fat. His coat is luxuriously soft and shiny and his muscles are rippling. Although everything is going well, I worry about bloat. Tonight after his last meal his belly was REALLY full and tight. He ate 7 ounces of chicken thighs. I decided to put him in his kennel so he could just pass out. How common is bloat in a mastiff breed?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Are you talking just gas bloating or are you talking torsion and then bloat- the fatal problem?

Gastric dilation and volvulus (GDV) is somewhat common in giant breeds- especially Danes. It's very, very rare in puppies or young adults but the chances increase as the dog gets older.

If you're worried about it just have a prophylactic gastropexy (tacking of the stomach to the body wall) done with you have him under for his neuter around 18-24 months old. This will be your best preventative for GDV.

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

It ended up being just gas bloat. Im not sure if it is just the breed or the diet, but he has been pretty gassy the last week. I started feeding him pork this week, in addition to his normal beef and chicken meals, and it seemed to loosen up his stool some but not much. He doesnt have the typical raw fed, hard, small poops. Instead, they are normally really dark, almost black and resemble cat poop. Today, he actually pooped about 6-7 times. Other than that, things seem really well. He is full of energy and putting on over 5lbs a week! At his 10 week check-up he weighed 24lbs!

blairnr67

blairnr67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Ah, I forgot to mention that he did regurgitate some pork the other evening. After reading some other posts, I think I am going to cut back on the pork until his digestive system is a little bit stronger.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep, pork is fairly rich, so take it slow. Add in just a small piece at a time to a bone heavy meal and gradually increase as long as he's doing well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO