Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Older Cat

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

DaneLover

DaneLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

I will be starting my cat on PMR today. She is 12 yoa, should I gring the chicken and bone? She eats dry food right now, and now and then I will hear her make a noise like she got it stuck in her throat so I'm a little nervous about giving her chicken on the bone, other than neck pieces that I cut up into 1 inch lengths for snacks.

Thanks!

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

My cat was at least 14 when I switched her to raw three years ago and is missing half a canine but she eats bone in meals just fine.  I would give larger vs small cut up pieces if you are concerned about choking though. 

• DaneLover likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Some cats are very picky so if she doesn't take to it right away we will have to modify things to accommodate her!

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Our roommate's cat isn't quite that old but he's 10 and missing some teeth, he transistioned fine but has trouble with tougher chunks. So we stick to meats he can eat easily (chicken, rabbit, mice, etc.) or chop the meat up a bit.

• DaneLover likes this

DaneLover

DaneLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

My poor Nef is having such a hard time making the switch. She absolutely will not eat the necks or anything with bone in it at all and is only interested in hearts and liver. Of course I won't give her any more liver (only gave it once) because she has diarrhea, I know this because she keeps crapping in the hall. I passed it off this morning as a hairball so my husband wouldn't get upset. She's lost weight, looks scruffy and generally looks miserable. I have an electric grinder that I'm waiting for my husband to get out for me, I can't get to it in the shed, I'll start grinding half of her food (stuff with bone) and see if this helps. My poor baby!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Be extremely careful switching cats to raw! They absolutely cannot go without food or they'll basically go into liver failure. If she isn't taking to raw well I wouldn't force the issue. Sometimes it takes a long, long time to get them on a full raw diet, like over a year of slowly introducing raw meats mixed in with cat food. 

DaneLover

DaneLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

OMG! Well, I had been thinking of partially cooking it for her before I saw this, now I'm definitely going to, She will eat cooked meat, at least she has in the past, poor kid. Thank you!

UPDATE: I had my Hubby cook some of the food for her and she ate about half of it!! Woohoo!

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep us posted please!

DaneLover

DaneLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

So, last night, before I left for work, I put 2 heaping teaspoons of food in a dish and warmed it with hot tap water then drained off most of the water. I showed her where it was and she acted like she wasn't interested. Well, I know she doesn't like an audience, so I went ahead and left for work. When my Hubby got home he said the dish was empty. She seems perkier today, she's even begging a little this morning, which is something she normally drives me crazy with so I gave her some cooked hearts. That's what I normally give her as a snack. I put about the same amount of food in the dish today and gave her space while I fed everyone else. She ate most of it and I'm hoping she'll eat the rest before I wake up this afternoon. I'm so glad you said that about it taking a long time as well as the other suggestions. Thanks everyone :thumbsu:

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I had trouble getting my cats to eat whole chicken wings, and I really wanted them to eat it because it's cheap and easily avaliable. What I did was cut them at the joints so the pieces were smaller, and then I started smashing the bones. I simply flipped my knife over to the blunt side, and went at it. The bones get crushed, but the wing piece is still fairly intact. A warning though, it the rest of the household might wonder what the heck you are doing when you smash the wings, because it sure is noisy... :P

My cat eventually learned to eat whole wings this way! If your cat is really finicky, you might have to 'season' it with something... Crushed up kibble, gravy from canned foods, tuna...

• DaneLover likes this

DaneLover

DaneLover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

I lost my Nefertere June 2nd. She is missed a lot, I keep thinking I see her sitting in various parts of the house and then I remember she's gone. :(

10334329_10203054650758992_3320925780436

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I'm so sorry! Lost but certainly never forgotten!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO