Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Alabama

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

huntersbow2010

huntersbow2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Neck is great as long as he chews it well. Organ is great for them but VERY rich. You will find yourself with lots of diarrhea... It's better to slowly transition them to each protein slowly. Generally the more the bone the drier the poo, the more the meat the loser the poo. It's all about finding a balance within the pet. I'm also a newbie to all this but I've been a vet tech for years and know a lot of background in pet care.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Organ meats are very rich and can cause serious digestive upset if fed in high quantities or at all in the beginning. So holding off is a precaution to GI upset.

I assume you mean chicken neck bone? If so, as long as your dog chomps it a few times before swallowing they should be alright to give.

I would suggest waiting 5-7 days in a row of good stools and no vomiting and normal activity before moving onto adding anything different in. If all is going well, you can add small pieces of breast meat into a boney meal.

Glad to help!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How are the little dogs doing? Hope I didn't miss a post on them. :)

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Neck is great as long as he chews it well. Organ is great for them but VERY rich. You will find yourself with lots of diarrhea... It's better to slowly transition them to each protein slowly. Generally the more the bone the drier the poo, the more the meat the loser the poo. It's all about finding a balance within the pet. I'm also a newbie to all this but I've been a vet tech for years and know a lot of background in pet care.

Thanks for the help

• huntersbow2010 likes this

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Organ meats are very rich and can cause serious digestive upset if fed in high quantities or at all in the beginning. So holding off is a precaution to GI upset.

I assume you mean chicken neck bone? If so, as long as your dog chomps it a few times before swallowing they should be alright to give.

I would suggest waiting 5-7 days in a row of good stools and no vomiting and normal activity before moving onto adding anything different in. If all is going well, you can add small pieces of breast meat into a boney meal.

Glad to help!

Yes, I was referring to chicken neck bone. Chicken is all I have feed so far. I will start with other sources of protein later. 

Apollo has done very well! His stool has been solid for several days now. He has yet to vomit or choke. Thankfully! I fed his first breast this morning, before I read your post. I expected at least a loose stool but nope. It was firm and healthy looking. 

I read that I should trim all of the fat and skin off the chicken before feeding it. Does that mean I should never, ever feed them? I haven't fed either one. I ask because Apollo is looking a little thin. Should I (a) just feed him more of the same (B) add in some other source of fat (c ) feed the chicken fat and skin in small portions?

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

How are the little dogs doing? Hope I didn't miss a post on them. :)

The little guys are doing good. No, you haven't missed a post. There's really not much to tell. I haven't switched them over yet. I decided to switch them one at a time, so I could monitor each one more closely. I appreciate you asking and I will be sure to let you know as soon as they make the switch. It won't be long now. Apollo is on day five and doing very well. I will probably change them over in the next day or two. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad they're doing well so far! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Glad Apollo is doing well! Can't wait to hear how the little ones do! :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama
There's no rush, so take it slow. Chicken(bone in) for about two weeks. Once all is good with that, move on to turkey and so on. Organs are INCREDIBLY rich and you will be asking for a lot of digestive upset. Give those a couple of months before adding them in.

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Glad Apollo is doing well! Can't wait to hear how the little ones do! :)

I finally started Maverick, my JRT on raw. So far, so good! Today is his second day. Well, technically his third. I started him on wednesday but then had to fast him a second time the next day. We went to my mom's house on wednesday and he got into her cat's food. I had already fed him that morning before leaving. Then I started him back on raw on thursday night. He is doing well, thus far. I sure hope his transition is just as smooth as Apollo. Maverick and Max are quite a bit older than Apollo is. They have been on kibble a lot longer. So far, I've got two down and one to go. Will keep you posted. 

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Love the name Maverick for a JRT!

Little turd! Glad he's doing well, though!

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Love the name Maverick for a JRT!

Little turd! Glad he's doing well, though!

Yea, he's sneaky! We just started Max on raw yesterday. He's perplexed. So far he's having to be hand fed. Of course he has always been finicky. Maverick's name comes from the movie Top-Gun, one of my favorites. I always said if I ever got a female JRT I would name her Charlie. :-) 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Love that!!

How is everyone doing?

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Love that!!

How is everyone doing?

All is good! :-) We did have a little scare last night though. I fed Apollo a whole egg and a fillet of frozen Talopia. A few hours later I noticed he had this dry, hacking cough. Then I noticed his eyes were bloodshot and seemed to be swollen. It really freaked me out! I was worried his throat may be swollen as well from all the strange noise he was making. I gave him two 25mg Benadryl and waited. I watched him very closely for the next few hours. After about 1 ½ hours after the Benadryl he seemed to be doing better. Within a few hours I could tell he was going to be o.k, I have been feeding raw egg without the shell but last night I fed the whole egg. Last night was also the first time he had meat except chicken so, I don't know if it was the eggshell or the fish. I feel stupid for feeding 2 new items at the same time. If I had feed one or the other I would know. What do you think?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

All is good! :-) We did have a little scare last night though. I fed Apollo a whole egg and a fillet of frozen Talopia. A few hours later I noticed he had this dry, hacking cough. Then I noticed his eyes were bloodshot and seemed to be swollen. It really freaked me out! I was worried his throat may be swollen as well from all the strange noise he was making. I gave him two 25mg Benadryl and waited. I watched him very closely for the next few hours. After about 1 ½ hours after the Benadryl he seemed to be doing better. Within a few hours I could tell he was going to be o.k, I have been feeding raw egg without the shell but last night I fed the whole egg. Last night was also the first time he had meat except chicken so, I don't know if it was the eggshell or the fish. I feel stupid for feeding 2 new items at the same time. If I had feed one or the other I would know. What do you think?

I wouldn't necessarily think that either one would have caused it. I would try feeding either one of them by themselves to pinpoint which one causes the issues. 

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

So this is a little unrelated, but I see that malinois owned is in the Birmingham area. I'm about to take the plunge into raw feeding my Doberman and desperately seeking a friend (and maybe sources of her meat!). I'm in Walker County but work at UAB hospital in Birmingham.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Have you tried fish or egg since your last incident? Everybody is still doing well? :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Send them a private message and see!

malinois owned

malinois owned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Have you tried fish or egg since your last incident? Everybody is still doing well? :)

It's all good! Everybody is good. I have fed egg since the incident but not eggshell or fish. I'm not to happy about feeding Talapia anyway. After the incident I did some research on that particular fish. I found some surprising facts. One, it's only grown in "fish farms" two, their bottom feeders. They eat all kinds of nasty stuff on the bottom of the pond, lake, etc. It's not something I want to eat or feed my boys. I hope to find fresh, whole fish locally. I searched the internet for butchers but found nothing promising.  I'm still looking for fresh meat sources. Wal-Mart is ok for chicken and turkey but thats about it. I did buy what I thought was raw tripe (not bleached). Then I find out it was "Tripia" or something. It was not the raw green tripe I thought it was.

I recently introduced turkey into their diet. This brings me to another question. Do you know of any safety issues with turkey? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but... it seems to me turkey splinters very easy. Still learning :-)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would recommend feeding turkey necks and frames for the most part. Sometimes getting a whole bird is a good deal in which case I would feed the legs and wings. But if I could choose between turkey necks or wings/legs.....I would choose necks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO