Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

My Bb Has Some Serious Diarrhea. My Husband Wants To Switch Diet.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

HI everyone!

This has been an issue in our little pack for a few months now and it's getting very old very quick.  We have a Shepherd mix and a BB. We got our shepherd mix at eight weeks old and started him on dog food and didn't think twice until we got our BB from a breeder and they suggested Prey Model Raw. So we switched our shepherd at six months when we got our BB (at eight weeks) and fed only RAW. 

It seems like they have had this diarrhea problem forever but realistically it's been about on and off for a few months. I'm not sure what it is. We have taken them to vet numerous times and our vet always suggests we take them off RAW and gives us some medication and they are good to go within a day or two. I know that RAW is really good for them but my husband is starting to get really frustrated. He is suggesting just switching them back to regular dog food because even though they went poo more it wasn't diarrhea. 

This is what their diet consists mostly of.

Chicken leg quarters

Beef liver

Beef heart

Ground turkey

Sometimes we get our hands on pork fat or pork necks, or fish, ground beef, lamb shanks, etc but for the most part the above is their daily diet. I'm not sure if maybe I'm not giving them enough variety, or enough something. 

Any help or advice would be SOOOOO appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I think you jumped into this too quickly. I would suggest that you go back several steps and follow the guide that has been posted in the "Getting Started" area of the website.

Go back to feeding boney chicken parts (backs to start off with would probably be the best idea), and then slowly increase the amount of meat to bone ratio. From there you can start slowly experimenting with other types of meats and then introduce organs at the very end.

Also try cutting off the excess skin/fat off the meat for now since that can cause tummy upset.

I am sure more members will give you clearer directions and more advice soon as well :)

In the mean time, adding some pureed/canned unseasoned steamed pumpkin/sweet potato or adding some slippery elm to his food will help with temporary relief of diarrhea.

EDIT:

Also, is the diarrhea happening on specific days? Like days when he does not get bone, or days when he is getting organs? I ask because it took my dog months before he was okay with boneless meals. Now we do bone every three days and it's working for us. Same with organs -- if you are not giving organs with bone then a lot of dogs get explosive diarrhea lol.

• allyshort2 and huntersbow2010 like this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you for responding!! 

Zoba (my BB) doesn't care for really anything with bone in it. If we offer him ground turkey with an egg he would much rather eat that verses a chicken leg quarter. I have read the "Getting Started" tab and we have been feeding raw for a little over a year now and it hasn't really been issue till recently. I know the 80:10:10 is really important and when he was a puppy if we didn't have the right ratio he would have runny poo but this is different..he's getting the ratio but it's like explosive diarrhea in his crate to the point that I have to work from home the days that he has it. 

*Maybe I shouldn't say "explosive" but when you have brand new carpet under his crate....explosive is what comes to mind ;)

Thank you again, I really really really appreciate you taking the time to answer my cry of help!!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Thank you for responding!! 

Zoba (my BB) doesn't care for really anything with bone in it. If we offer him ground turkey with an egg he would much rather eat that verses a chicken leg quarter. I have read the "Getting Started" tab and we have been feeding raw for a little over a year now and it hasn't really been issue till recently. I know the 80:10:10 is really important and when he was a puppy if we didn't have the right ratio he would have runny poo but this is different..he's getting the ratio but it's like explosive diarrhea in his crate to the point that I have to work from home the days that he has it. 

*Maybe I shouldn't say "explosive" but when you have brand new carpet under his crate....explosive is what comes to mind ;)

Thank you again, I really really really appreciate you taking the time to answer my cry of help!!

No problem!

Hmmm so there's no pattern to his diarrhea?

And I totally get how you feel lol. My foster dog has a sensitive tummy and once in a while will get diarrhea. Because she's a longhaired dog, when she gets diarrhea, it gets stuck all over her backside area... and then she will try to scoot all over my cloth furniture... so you can imagine how fun that is to clean up lol! Usually she gets diarrhea from too much food (like too many treats) though.

It could also help to give him a supplement for probiotics to help with digestion.

• allyshort2 likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

The ratio is more of a standard. Some dogs do very well with little bone in their diet, while others need a lot in their diet to stay regular. I would definitely consider starting over and maybe using some canned pumpkin to help. If Zoba doesn't gulp his food down, you may want to offer much smaller bone in cuts, like wings or drummies to get the bone into his diet.  Also if you take kitchen or garden shears and crunch the bone in 3-4 spots it may be easier to eat at first. I still have to do this sometimes with my cats to get any bone in their diet. Oh and I was curious what is a BB? 

• allyshort2 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Boerboel ;)
  • allyshort2 likes this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you everyone!  I was considering starting over but my husband is convinced it's the raw diet period. 

Zoba doesn't like to chew bone..so he basically will chew the quarter once or twice and then swallow it whole. It drives me crazy! lol. Our pack takes joint health vitamins and vitamin c and eventually coconut oil. 

Honestly, I can't find one. Part of me feels like maybe he's getting too much bone but if he was then he would be constipated, right? 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
From everything I have read here, if poop is too runny, add more bone. If too hard, add more meat. So you would think if he was getting just enough, or too much, diarrhea wouldn't be present.

I'm watching for answers, sorry I don't have anything to add.
  • allyshort2 likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

Thank you everyone!  I was considering starting over but my husband is convinced it's the raw diet period. 

Zoba doesn't like to chew bone..so he basically will chew the quarter once or twice and then swallow it whole. It drives me crazy! lol. Our pack takes joint health vitamins and vitamin c and eventually coconut oil. 

Honestly, I can't find one. Part of me feels like maybe he's getting too much bone but if he was then he would be constipated, right? 

So he is eating the whole chicken leg quarter then? Dogs only need to chew their food enough for it to be swallowed. Half the time my dogs chew a lot and the other they will crunch once or twice and swallow. Makes me cringe sometimes.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Sounds like Zoba is eating chicken quarters exactly the same way my dogs eat their chicken quarters. To me, the faster my dogs eat things the more they like them. Sounds like he likes them just fine and is eating them the way he should.

I personally would cut the ground food out completely. Ground foods can be really high in bacterial load because when the meat is exposed to air- it also is exposed to bacteria.

Zoba might just need more bone than the average dog to stay regular.

I also don't think his poo issue is due to lack of variety either. Half of my dogs' diet is chicken and turkey mixed with a few red meats. Most dogs eat mostly chicken.

I have a feeling that if you switched him to kibble- you won't have much better success with it.
  • huntersbow2010 likes this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you so much! 

So should I add more bone? Take ground turkey out and add like turkey neck?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Yes, I would take away ground turkey and go with necks, which would increase the bone content anyways. 

• allyshort2 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
If you can't find a place to buy turkey necks in bulk, talk to the meat department at grocery stores, or a butcher. I got my box from a butcher in my town, but the grocery store was willing to order them in for me, as well. :)
  • allyshort2 likes this

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you so much everyone! I did find a butcher who will let me buy turkey necks in 30pound cases for .92lb. They said depending on how much I buy they would give me a bigger discount. ..... Looks like I'm going to go and load up on turkey necks. 

I can't thank you guys enough. 

I did give Zoba some Kefir in yogurt yesterday with some tripe and that seemed to help. 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
92 cents?!?! Jealous! Load up! Not like the boys won't go through them!

(side note) did you get a Yorkie? I remember you talking about getting one a while back.

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Oh yeah, it's probably going to have to be at least 100 pounds to last us. :) We didn't :( We have been looking for one and found one that was a perfect match for our pack but the owners decided to keep her. 

This is only the second time ever that I have ever been able to find turkey necks. I was quoted by a local butcher 1.25lb and we were going to load up on that and then I found .92! 

Do you give turkey necks to yours regularly? 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
They're a regular staple for edible bone at our house. Give them at least once per week.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I totally understand your situation, my partner was very reluctant for me to try it at first and if I made mistakes, he'd be quick to blame the diet. But the good news is that he is actually totally for the raw diet now, even after a near choking incident with our dog. For that reason, I recommend you make sure your turkey necks are too big to gulp, and that way you can avoid having that happen (or at least minimize it quite a bit). Also good to brush up on Doggy Heimlich for emergencies.

I only say that so you're better prepared, not to scare you. I've fed lots of bone in meals since that with no problem. If it hasn't been said already, turkey necks are also the best for cleaning teeth because of how the bone is shaped, and because they have to work through that a little harder than a back, it scrapes off more tartar.

I also recommend watching their energy levels. If they're lazy, feed less because they'll get cannon butt from overfeeding. I feed less in the winter because he typically isn't very active since it's so cold outside. So if I fed him his usual 3/4lbs a day, I get the wonderful Liquipoo. :P

I've also had luck with canned pumpkin when he needs a bit of extra help. He loves it!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
The right one will come along soon! :)

We just got our 30 lb box this week, so lately (since I'm a bad mom and didn't watch food levels) Calvin has only been getting Urey necks every day. As long as its not chicken, he is more than happy! I thought he was stoked for the pork, but he does circles (my calm hound dog) and jumps around when he sees the neck in my hand. I think turkey necks are more exciting than walks. lol

Yes, they will be a staple in our house, as well! Hopefully your boys love them as much as mine do!

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Wanted to update everyone-Zoba has FIRM POOP!! Whoop whoop!!

We bought 60pounds of turkey necks and I've been giving him 1 turkey neck and 3 leg quarters for each meal. 

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO