Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Frequency Of Feeding Whole Prey To Cats

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

How often does everyone feed whole mice or rats? I raise my own mice and I will start feeding them to the cats around 4 weeks of age. One of my cats, Bobby, absolutely loves mice, and would probably like to eat them every day. She has gotten to the point where she sticks her nose up to chicken and turkey, and sometimes chicken hearts and fish. She will normally still eat deer, beef & pork heart and beef & pork liver. With the mice I have now I can't feed her one every day, because they don't grow fast enough. She seems to have lost some weight in the last few weeks, which right now isn't a bad thing, but I don't know how much she will keep losing. Should I try tough love or feed mice more often because they are a more natural prey? 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I feed mice about once a week, normally whenever I feed my snakes. They're a great source of nutrition for cats so I don't see a problem with feeding them often BUT not if it means kitty will start snubbing everything else. I try not to feed the same meats multiple times in a row to the cats because then they tend to just want to eat that. They imprint on food really easily.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I feed mice depending on how many I have, 1-2 per day max, anymore seems to result in a hairball coming back up but I try to feed mice at least twice a week, I know one lady who gives her cats 1 mouse each per day.  As long as they are still getting a variety of other meats feeding adult whole prey often is ideal. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Our kitties still won't touch whole prey.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Our kitties still won't touch whole prey.

What have you tried before? Our cats are still weirded out by whole, adult mice with fur so I'm feeding pinkies and the occasional fuzzie. Chopping up a pinkie and mixing it with their regular meal seems to switch a lot of cats over.

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

My cats get to catch the mice. I let them play with them for a few minutes, then I euthanize the mice using cervical dislocation. My other two are still getting used to eating them. I cut a hole in the hide, and that normally gets them interested.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

We haven't tried pinkies yet.....I might try and find some soon. Our other kitties would eat whole mice as well as day old chicks but these guys seem to be way more finicky 

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

We haven't tried pinkies yet.....I might try and find some soon. Our other kitties would eat whole mice as well as day old chicks but these guys seem to be way more finicky 

Cats being finicky?   ...no way  :lol:  haha

I'd bet pinkies would make them take a second look though. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO