Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

5 Days Into The New Diet - Dane Itching More.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

mollypuddles2001

mollypuddles2001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So we are on day 5 of our new diet.  I am feeding chicken quarters even though he tested borderline on his allergy panel (the lab had also lowered the threshold for allergies due to his sensitive nature so I just don't know if this is really a food allergy).  The dogs are mildly constipated but I understand that is to be expected.  Our German Shorthaired Pointer is doing great.  However, as expected, our Great Dane is starting to itch more.  Unfortunately, a day before we started this diet, our Great Dane presented with a rash on the inside of his front leg.  This is a new area for a rash to develop and his licking is not helping.  I was hoping it was related to the different type of generic Benedryl I picked up (has a lot of pink dye in the pills).  So, I switched back to the old Benedryl we have been using and the rash is not clearing up.  In addition, he is getting more itchy.  I can't tell if the itching is a transitional thing with the diet, if I need to switch over to a different antihistamine, or just wait it out.  In the past we have had to transition back and forth with antihistamines in due to one or the other pooping out.  The great news is that his ears are looking fantastic!  He has some wax coming out but not the gunky brown yucky stuff we have battled for most of his life.  I am just concerned because his rash is getting nasty and he is scratching more.  Today I also gave him a shower - I purchased the Zymox shampoo and hope this will help assist with the itching.  Thoughts are appreciated.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Considering he's struggled his entire life with itching, I wouldn't necessarily blame the raw food at this point. Have you cut out all synthetic cleaning supplies, detergents, air fresheners, fabric softeners, etc? It could be an environmental allergy as well. 

If both dogs are doing well this far on chicken you could start adding in other proteins slowly. 

Rambo's Mum

Rambo's Mum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

So we are on day 5 of our new diet.  I am feeding chicken quarters even though he tested borderline on his allergy panel (the lab had also lowered the threshold for allergies due to his sensitive nature so I just don't know if this is really a food allergy).  The dogs are mildly constipated but I understand that is to be expected.  Our German Shorthaired Pointer is doing great.  However, as expected, our Great Dane is starting to itch more.  Unfortunately, a day before we started this diet, our Great Dane presented with a rash on the inside of his front leg.  This is a new area for a rash to develop and his licking is not helping.  I was hoping it was related to the different type of generic Benedryl I picked up (has a lot of pink dye in the pills).  So, I switched back to the old Benedryl we have been using and the rash is not clearing up.  In addition, he is getting more itchy.  I can't tell if the itching is a transitional thing with the diet, if I need to switch over to a different antihistamine, or just wait it out.  In the past we have had to transition back and forth with antihistamines in due to one or the other pooping out.  The great news is that his ears are looking fantastic!  He has some wax coming out but not the gunky brown yucky stuff we have battled for most of his life.  I am just concerned because his rash is getting nasty and he is scratching more.  Today I also gave him a shower - I purchased the Zymox shampoo and hope this will help assist with the itching.  Thoughts are appreciated.

Try adding fresh minced old ginger into his food and also boiled some old ginger water, steeped it overnight, put it in a spray bottle and sprayed him. It works on mine. Also you might want to try to give him a good digestive enzyme and probiotics. My boy was itching so bad previously I had to put the e-collar on him for 3 over months but it seems the worse was over and now he is progressing well with less scratching and less biting. IMO majority of the dogs goes through a major detox period. Some took longer - like my poor golden boy, almost a year - while others only a few weeks. My personal view is you have to try to find and experiment the right combination of food and supplement to help your fur kid.

Good luck!

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How are things going?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO