Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Puppy Sitting Down And Not Moving On Walks

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I have a slight issue with walking Morgan. During every walk, he'll stop and sit after less than a minute of walking. When he sits down, there is nothing I can do to move him besides physically pick him up. Calling him, trying to run so he'll chase me, gentle tugs, treats, and toys all don't work. He just sits there, staring at me. Waiting it out doesn't really work, either, as it results in me standing in the cold for 10-15 min (never tried waiting longer than that, tbh, it's been chilly here). He's not stopping to sniff stuff or anything, he's literally just sitting there.

As a refresher, Morgan is a 3-4 month old German Shorthaired Pointer. His breed needs a lot of exercise so these unproductive walks are not helping him calm down in the house, haha. He's of an unknown background since he was picked up as a stray. He had probably never been leashed before I got him, based on his reaction the first time I put a leash on him (he totally flipped out trying to get it off).

Any ideas?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Try dropping the leash and calling him to see if he follows. 

It might also be worth while to do some desensitization work with the leash when you're in a familiar environment like your living room. 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Try dropping the leash and calling him to see if he follows. 

It might also be worth while to do some desensitization work with the leash when you're in a familiar environment like your living room. 

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

The thing is, he's fine inside or in the yard. It's the moment we go out into the street.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Take the leash off and see how he does. Unless you live on a busy street! If you do, take him to an open, quiet park and work with him off leash. Then put a leash on him and let him drag it around. Then lightly pick up the leash and drop it again, repeat until he's ok with you holding the leash. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
When we had our Dane puppy, she refused to walk with a collar her first month or two, so I used a harness and she wasn't bothered by that, at all. We worked with her on leash before she was able to go outside. We rescued her at 12 weeks, and the place she was before didn't get any shots done for the puppies, so we had to play the waiting game. It was hard to not show off our new baby, but we knew it was the best for her. So I had lots of time to work with her on the leash, but something about the leash on her collar bugged her.

What about attaching him to Sophie, so he sees walks on leash aren't so bad? (Natalie?)

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

No idea what happened but he did much better today! I wonder if it was the cold as today was our first "warm" day since getting him. Hmm.

When we had our Dane puppy, she refused to walk with a collar her first month or two, so I used a harness and she wasn't bothered by that, at all. We worked with her on leash before she was able to go outside. We rescued her at 12 weeks, and the place she was before didn't get any shots done for the puppies, so we had to play the waiting game. It was hard to not show off our new baby, but we knew it was the best for her. So I had lots of time to work with her on the leash, but something about the leash on her collar bugged her.

What about attaching him to Sophie, so he sees walks on leash aren't so bad? (Natalie?)

I don't want to walk him with Sophie because she can be reactive towards dogs and I don't want him to learn that, haha. Unfortunately, Sophie and I were actually attacked by a large dog a month or two ago and she's been weird with dogs since. We're working on it!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Oh, yeah. That could be bad.

Oh no! Can't say I blame the poor girl! Her baby brother looks like he will be a big 'un so hopefully he can help her trust dogs!

Glad today went better!

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Well, today was super warm (55 degrees F) and he was good again. Maybe it really was the cold! I'll look into getting him a sweater.

He does get SUPER distracted by dogs, though, so we're going to have to work on that.

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Turns out it's the cold weather. Today was a bit chily and he did the sitting down thing again when he hasn't in days. Poor guy just hates the cold!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Is there a door from the yard to the sidewalk or something similar? I would practice walking in and out (not going far; and also keep the door open the entire time) and rewarding heavily for walking alongside you, and then slowly increase the distance. If he's fine in the yard/house on leash, then it just means you gotta start there and slowly introduce him to the outside :)

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Is there a door from the yard to the sidewalk or something similar? I would practice walking in and out (not going far; and also keep the door open the entire time) and rewarding heavily for walking alongside you, and then slowly increase the distance. If he's fine in the yard/house on leash, then it just means you gotta start there and slowly introduce him to the outside :)

Thanks, believe it or not, it seems to be temperature based and he's perfectly OK as long as it's above 30 degrees or so. Ha.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Mine's a suck in the cold, too. He will stop and if I tug the leash, he won't move. I walk up and he turns in the direction I'm walking and drags me home. I'm so tempted to move to the southern states! Canada is just stupid cold. :(

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
You cold move to eastern Wa and be between Natalie and me!! :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

As long as you don't get Polar Vortex cold EVERY WINTER, I'm down :P

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustralia

My pupp doesn't "do" walks either lol.gif

I thought it would get better as he got older but nope!

Thanks to advice on this thread, Should try this on my lovey :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO