Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello (Also!) From Alabama!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

My name is Jennifer.

I am a born and raised Virginia girl who up and got married to the Alabama boy and thus started our interesting life! We have 1 Maine Coon cat, Rylan (~7 yrs), a Doberman Pinscher, Remy (4 yrs in March) and a Shire gelding named Samwise (7 yrs). Remy has had a sensitive tummy his whole life and none of the kibbles have sat well. Diarrhea should have been his name! I've been researching raw feeding for quite awhile when his health started to deterioriate shortly after our move to Walker County.

I've reached out to BARF and raw groups on Facebook, but I figured I'd tried a forum like this for any other help. So far my searching for sources of bones and organs is turning up very little. I'm looking at freezers on Craigslist and asking around at local processors for scraps, leftovers etc or what they'll let me buy. I'm gathering a list of ethnic grocers and butchers to see if I can get the harder to find things.

Where do you guys buy your green tripe?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome to Prey Model and to Alabama! Great to have more Bama folks here! Raw is a wonderful thing! 

BTW, I go by Jenny for short, but it's really Jennifer as well!  Pretty awesome, huh?

• jkilgore likes this

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Welcome to Prey Model and to Alabama! Great to have more Bama folks here! Raw is a wonderful thing! 

BTW, I go by Jenny for short, but it's really Jennifer as well!  Pretty awesome, huh?

Hey Jenny. So where do you get your resources from??? I need ideas short of ordering bulk and picking it up in Chattanooga, TN from My Pet Carnivore

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I use Walmart, Piggly Wiggly, scraps from deer processors, craigslist and the buy sell bulletin. (Not sure if they sell those classified books in your area? I place ads for free older meats). We also have a meat market called Studdards where I can order beef heart by the case.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome to the group! Always happy to have another raw feeder to help!

Be careful of joining too many groups because some will have different methods that contradict each other. Just keep that in mind :)

Have you called any wholesale distributors in your area?

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Welcome to the group! Always happy to have another raw feeder to help!

Be careful of joining too many groups because some will have different methods that contradict each other. Just keep that in mind :)

Have you called any wholesale distributors in your area?

I have called a few wholesale distributors. I'm waiting on responses from some more. They aren't very keen about telling me about the organs of the animals since they only want to sell meat. I mention organs, scraps etc and they panic. There are a couple deer processors around here, but my husband tells me it's no longer deer season so that option is now out... I did see on the map that Studdard's isn't too far from Birmingham. Worst case scenario if I work a morning shift, I could head out there one day to see what else I can get there.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Good luck in your search! Hopefully you'll be able to find a good few sources for meat :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I have called a few wholesale distributors. I'm waiting on responses from some more. They aren't very keen about telling me about the organs of the animals since they only want to sell meat. I mention organs, scraps etc and they panic. There are a couple deer processors around here, but my husband tells me it's no longer deer season so that option is now out... I did see on the map that Studdard's isn't too far from Birmingham. Worst case scenario if I work a morning shift, I could head out there one day to see what else I can get there.

Studdards is going to be about 40-45 min away from B'ham. Not too bad considering you can get cases of meat. Call first, because they will have to order special stuff like that, but they get it usually overnight. I will PM you their number if you need it. I couldn't find them listed in the phone book, so considering they are only about three miles from my house, I went there and got the number off their sign.

• jkilgore likes this

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Studdards is going to be about 40-45 min away from B'ham. Not too bad considering you can get cases of meat. Call first, because they will have to order special stuff like that, but they get it usually overnight. I will PM you their number if you need it. I couldn't find them listed in the phone book, so considering they are only about three miles from my house, I went there and got the number off their sign.

Can you buy things other than beef heart? I can't for the life of me find a place to get chicken backs without buying a whole chicken! Turkey necks I also need to look into. I can get chicken quarters just fine, but my dog is big with a big mouth so chicken necks would be bad right?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

They sell beef and pork in the store itself, and anything beef or pork they could order. Not sure if they could order any chicken or turkey. They may, I just haven't ever asked them about it. If not, and you want to get turkey necks I know the Piggly Wiggly here in Talladega will order them by the case for you. So if you have a "Pig" close to you see about that. 

Yea, I wouldn't feed a large dog chicken necks. I have Australian Shepherds and wouldn't give them any. I fed them as puppies, but that was it. 

But try Studdards first and see what else besides beef and pork they could order for you. I may even do that as well, now that I think about it!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO