Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Completely Insane At Feeding Time

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

In general, training Morgan is going well and he's a mostly well-behaved pup provided he has enough outlets for his energy (and boy, does he have energy!) and chewing. But I have one issue with him that's been concerning me. He gets super excited for breakfast and dinner, which is normal, all the animals do. He has some pretty bad food aggression even at this age so he eats in his crate (we're working on it, I'm actually not as worried about this because I've had to deal with it before). After he's done and I let him out, he's totally insane and that's what worries me. He races to the kitchen to see if any of the animals are eating. If they are, he steals food from their mouths even if he's being snarled, snapped, or clawed at. So I now crate him until the other animals are done eating (which he absolutely hates but it's the safest thing I can do). Next, he jumps up on every counter, checks every available pet dish, and tries to get into the trash. In this state, if I try to push him away from the trash, he sometimes nips at me. This whole ordeal will last for about 10 minutes unless I distract him. I've taken to doing training sessions during this time but it only works after the first few minutes as he's just too crazy to concentrate on anything. If I put him outside when he's like this, he claws at the door frantically and yelps (when normally he likes the outdoors).

I understand that he was a stray and so food may be an even greater resource to him than most animals. And in time, maybe this behavior will calm down or go away on its own. But I've never seen a dog get THIS insane after feeding time and it worries me. Any ideas? Has anyone seen this before? I've dealt with food aggression but never this kind of behavior. I will work on getting another trash can to help with that part of the problem.

Basically, I want to try to nip this in the bud now/find a way to manage it before he's a 55-70 lb adult.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Don't let him out for at least an hour.

Do you control the crate door or does he barge out?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Oh and do you make him wait before he can take his food? Like a food bowl wait?

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Don't let him out for at least an hour.

Do you control the crate door or does he barge out?

If I do that, he howls which is problematic because we're still working on crate training and I don't want him to hate his crate. It also bothers my roommates. So I could do it but it would set back our crate training, I think :(. When he's more comfortable in his crate I could easily do it, though.

Oh and do you make him wait before he can take his food? Like a food bowl wait?

I already do that. We play It's Yer Choice every day so he's great about waiting for long periods of time for his food. He's trained to wait and then go in his crate on command, sit, and THEN I give him his food. He's good about doing all that.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Well, I found a way to manage it until he's crate-trained but it's not ideal. Once he starts getting antsy in his crate, before he cries, I let him out but immediately give him a quick walk in the neighborhood. By the time we get back, he's forgotten about the whole food craziness thing. But this isn't ideal because I've heard I shouldn't be walking him after he eats because of bloat...can anyone chime in on that?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I wouldn't worry about bloat with raw food and his breed.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Ok, I had read that GSPs can get bloat and got scared, I've always had smaller dogs that weren't prone to it.

And let me know if you think of any more ideas. I really hope he grows out of this or something, ha. Have you ever had a dog act this way? I've fostered some food-crazy dogs but not like this!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Yes, and they're usually crated for their meals as well as after for quite some time. But since the crate isn't ideal in your situation then I think what you have worked out will do well. 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Yes, and they're usually crated for their meals as well as after for quite some time. But since the crate isn't ideal in your situation then I think what you have worked out will do well. 

Yeah, I'll definitely crate him for longer once he's used to it :). He's taking longer to get used to the crate than most dogs I've had but he's just now starting to go in on his own. So that's something!

• Prey Model Raw likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Have you been working on his leave it?

If you have been working on it, then I would start by leashing him after he eats, and taking him towards the areas where the other animals are fed. BEFORE you get to the locations (so before he is too excited/wound up), I would tell him "leave it", and if he pulls on the leash, don't pull back, just wait with the leash taut. Once he makes eye contact with you/turns around/leash becomes relaxed, I would mark and treat with food (sounds like he loves food).

Eventually he will learn that by paying attention to YOU and not the food being eaten by other animals, he is getting rewarded.

Afterwards you can work on doing it without a leash.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Have you been working on his leave it?

If you have been working on it, then I would start by leashing him after he eats, and taking him towards the areas where the other animals are fed. BEFORE you get to the locations (so before he is too excited/wound up), I would tell him "leave it", and if he pulls on the leash, don't pull back, just wait with the leash taut. Once he makes eye contact with you/turns around/leash becomes relaxed, I would mark and treat with food (sounds like he loves food).

Eventually he will learn that by paying attention to YOU and not the food being eaten by other animals, he is getting rewarded.

Afterwards you can work on doing it without a leash.

Hmm, might have to give that a shot. Yeah, we have been working on "leave it" so it might help.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Yeah it's actually a modified method I use for reactivity in dogs lol so hopefully it helps desensitize your dog to feeding times :)

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAustralia

My Dog Nikkita she needs to be fed more often, like every 3 hours or so.

Poodlebeguiled

Poodlebeguiled

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Washington

deleted...just realized thread old as dirt. lol. :startle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO