Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Having Rampant Diarrhea Issues Again

Best Answer Prey Model Raw , 16 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

How's the GimBeast? Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, this is a bit frustrating. I don't know if it's something I did or he maybe just got meat (or something else) that caused upset, but he's had liquid to soft stool for the past three days, sometimes having multiple accidents in the apartment in a day in addition to going for some poops outside. I've stopped all other meat and I've been feeding him chicken necks or backs with skin and fat removed. I did give a little pumpkin, but so far not really noticing any difference so I've stuck to just the necks. Some of the stools are mucous-y, and they all smell absolutely horrible. 

I can't tell if he's got a temperature or not, but his gums are still pink, he doesn't seem to be that much more thirsty than normal, he's been playing and eating and generally acting normal (if not a little mopey sometimes).

I don't know if he's gotten a parasite or what, or if I should fast and then keep feeding bone-in meals, or should I take him in and have a fecal done? I'm kind of wringing my hands here because if I have to take him in, I'm worried one of the vets will blame the diet :( He's not really an active pup in general so I've tried decreasing his portions a little without fasting him, but someone mentioned in another group that they had the back and forth soft/liquid stool and it turned out to be some sort of worms, even though she never saw other evidence.

I have to go to the clinic tomorrow to get my pay, and I'll bring him if he should go, but it's an expense I hope to avoid right now, so if there are other suggestions, please help :(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Didn't you bring another dog into the household lately??? Maybe the new kid brought some bugs with him....

I would fast him 24 hours regardless of the issue. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

The diarrhea actually started before I brought the other pug in the apartment. I wasn't sure if I should fast, so he just got a back but soaked in warm water in case it was enhancements causing it. I trimmed off all fat, too. I'll skip his dinner, though and see how that goes.

He made me take him out about 2am and did a squishy one, and then again about 20 min ago, but it was like a teasponn sized squirt and that was it. A member in another group suggested Kaopectate, since the increase in bone wasn't helping, either, and he said it'd draw any bacteria and toxins out that might be irritating the gut. Would fasting be better, or is this something you've tried before? I know you don't like giving a lot of extra crap, but I wasn't sure if this could help along with that, or on its own or what. :(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
It's always worth a shot. Especially if they're having an unusually hard bought of it.

Any chance he could've gotten into something he wasn't? Or picked up a parasite from somewhere?
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I actually opted to give slippery elm and skip his dinner. So I'm going to go easy with breakfast, just a chicken neck for now, and then go from there.

He's still bad sometimes with grabbing stuff on the floor or ground, but the only thing I noticed him grab the other day was a cat turd (Dori dragged one out of the litter again with her fur, gotta shave her again :/ ). And Shane said he definitely noticed that he was doing it before Snorf (Pug) came over, so I don't think he got anything from him.

If the fast and slippery elm do nothing, I'll try the Kaopectate and if still he's doing it, he's going in for a fecal. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Update: He just made me take him out and he did a small, somewhat firmer but still squishy poop. It's definitely an improvement. I gave him a little more slippery elm when we came in, and I hope this allows him to sleep (me too!) in a little and then I'll give him a chicken neck for breakfast. Fingers crossed!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

He's been giving me this face every time I'm in the kitchen tonight. Sigh.

1932286_10151883242222172_1382219799_n.j

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

FML, I spoke too soon. His first post-breakfast poop was liquid again. I'm strongly considering the Kaopectate now, this is such a stubborn case :(

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Update: I've been feeding him slippery elm every 8 hours, and at 5pm, he went out and didn't seem to HAVE to poo. I gave him a chicken thigh for dinner, so we'll see what happens at the next poop/pee run. I'm going to keep going with the s.e (got some bulk powder from the health food store) for now, and then if it ain't changing, I'll either take him for a fecal or do the Kaopectate.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Sorry for the barrage of updates! I actually decided against Kaopectate for now, and a friend in a Toronto Raw Feeding group said that he used bentonite clay along with slippery elm to cure the diarrhea issue. SO, that being said, I have both, and just dosed Gimli with the clay, and gave slippery elm as well.. I've promised myself that if there is still no change by Wednesday, I'm taking him in for an exam and fecal to rule out coccidia or giardia or anything potentially worse. I can't take him tomorrow because I'm working during the hours when dogs aren't allowed on the subway system. He has had giardia before, when he was a puppy, except that was so long ago that I don't remember clearly how long it lasted or how bad it was. But he was on metronidazole for that.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Still getting the squish, though it comes out in turd form at first and then just melts into a mushy pile. I think I'm going to have to bring him in, I've tried lots of things now and nothing has worked :( I don't think I fasted him long enough the other day, he only skipped one meal and then I continued with the slippery elm.

FML, I hope he's okay. I can't remember how expensive giardia meds are (if that's what he has). 

Any last resorts before I bring him in? Should I give it one more fast and skip two meals? Give kaopectate? Or just suck it up and bring him in?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I think it may be time to take him in.....let us know how it goes!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I didn't end up taking him in, I talked to the vet and he gave me an antibiotic, and said I should bring in a stool sample. But he gave me metronidazole 500 mg, two a day for 5 days. So I'm doing that, and slippery elm. I am starting to think it may be the chicken I got from downtown, though he WAS fine on it before. So I don't know if he got bad meat or ate something he shouldn't have. :( I gave him his first dose of the metro, so I'm crossing my fingers that it will actually help, because with all the stress I have right now, the last thing I need is something horrible happening to my little pooper. :(

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Oh no, I'm sorry he is having issues! Hopefully the antibiotic will help his butt issues!

At least you don't have to bring him in, you can just bring samples in. That's the nice thing about working at a vet. lol Plus your bills should be discounted, right?

Crossing my fingers for you and Gimli!!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, I get a 30% discount, thankfully. What could have been close to $200 with fecal and exam was more like $100 or so, but I saved even more by telling the doc the symptoms and he suggested trying the metro, which was only $14 for me. I just don't want him to be uncomfortable anymore :(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Keep us posted! 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Definitely looks like the metronidazole is working, or I think it is. He's had 3 doses now, and his poo is no longer pure liquid and covered in mucous. When he pooped around 6pm today, it came out in turd form and when I picked it up, it was still soft but had firm area. I'm still dosing him with slippery elm, too. He's got 7 metronizadole left, so I hope he clears up by the time they're done. I've been giving chicken necks and backs for meals, too. 

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Metro works well. Sometimes they just need a reset to their intestinal flora

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Well, it works and I want to hug my boss. We had one firm turd and one soft, no mucous. I probably should have done it sooner, but I thought it was just a matter of upping bone and giving slippery elm. Thanks for the concern and support, I was going nuts over this! <3

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Seriously, I was singing "hallelujah" all the way up the back alley to my front door. Thrilled!

• Prey Model Raw likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO