Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Having Rampant Diarrhea Issues Again

Best Answer Prey Model Raw , 16 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

How's the GimBeast? Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
So glad it firmed him up! His poor butt has to be feeling so much better!

Are you guys sleeping better now? :)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks, and you bet! No more middle of the night poos, no whining. He's happy as a pig in mud. He actually had a perfect poop when I got home from work and I was so excited that I practically danced back into the apartment. Even Shane was excited. He's got a few left, so I know to finish them. But I'll have to restrain myself from hugging my boss when I see him next, ahahaha

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Can you get that on tape and post it up here? 

• GimMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So glad you had a normal poop! (Well, Gim did!) lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Can you get that on tape and post it up here? 

Which, the boss hugging (that wouldn't go over well, yet, methinks :P ) or the dancing? aahaha

Yeah, Jordann, his butt is great. So nice to not have to worry about a mess to clean up when you wake up because he couldn't hold it. He still hates the cold, though. Haha

We just finished the meds this evening, and he seems back to his normal self. I'm still alternating backs and necks, but threw in the odd drummy to see how he is, so far he's fine. I still need to locate some cheap turkey to get that back in the mix. But yeah, back on track! Yay!

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The dancing of course!

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ahaha next time, I'll possibly let Shane record the ridiculousness. :P

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So, should I have probiotics on hand, in case they get diarrhea like poor Gim did?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

It'd probably help! I still have slippery elm left over and a lot of bentonite clay. Hoping I won't have to use either again, at least for a long time. I'm going to try giving him a little bit of pork heart tonight since he's had nothing but chicken through the tummy thing. I gave him a little sliver the other night and he was fine, poops remain firm. :D

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Would it be better to have slippery elm and bentonite clay on hand, or would probiotics work? My parents have a bunch of some probiotic left over, from their old dog. He passed away almost 3 years ago, so I'm not sure if they are still good or not? Probably better than nothing, though?

I picked up chicken liver for the boys yesterday, along with a whole turkey, some pork, and beef, and without thinking, threw everything in the freezer. So, the boys will probably get liver tomorrow. Hopefully they go as smoothly as they have thus far. We shall see. :)

How did Gim do with the pork heart?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm not sure about the probiotics, if they aren't expired, they might still be good. 

He's had some soft stools the last 2 poops, but I think I overfed him a little one day. He was okay after pork heart, but I think I'm going to have to give it with bone meals and in small amounts because he had soft stool with that. He's definitely better, he has firm more often than not, it's just the occasional softie when I give too much or not enough bone. This weather isn't helping at all, he's getting SOME exercise but I think it's still not enough, even with the reduced portions. I'm ready to move to South America, so over this winter.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I love how easy it is to stop the runs on PMR ... Soft poop? Add some more bone. lol

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yup! He's got drummies for now. I kind of worry since chicken is the only thing that he's ben able to eat lately, and I'm concerned about him lacking anything else he needed. I can't really feed him organ right away since his gut is not perfectly stable

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Don't worry too much. In my experience most people feed mostly chicken and small amounts of organ. Just keep him slow and steady and once he's settled, add in a pea sized amount of liver the first week. Then the next week add in an almond sized piece and so on and so forth
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay cool, will do! And thanks! I want to get him back on his normal rotation before the other one joins the family! 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

He's got the diarrhea again, hoping it's not a case like last time. He's only had quail and some beef heart the last day or two, with a chicken back or neck thrown in. It's been 2.5 days of this again, after being relatively fine (he had firm poops, and the occasional soft after the last bought which the flagyl helped), so I just dosed him with slippery elm and I'm considering fasting him (he had half a quail for breakfast and just had diarrhea with mucous in it again.

I thought I threw out all the meat that made him sick, so I don't know if it was the beef heart (I had some left over, but from a different package), the little bit of organ (pork liver, I think), and chicken backs. 

I don't know how long I should wait before getting more metronizadole, or just try fasting and giving slippery elm again. 

I feel so frustrated with this. He's still playing and active, just not as much again. I just feel like I'm messing up raw feeding him, but I refuse to go back to kibble.

:(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

It could have been the heart.....maybe once this resolves, feed half the amount of heart than you did the last time. 

Could it possibly be due to stress with the new addition? 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I definitely think it's the heart, too. We fed quail yesterday (didn't have ANY chicken until this morning) and he had a normal poop this morning. I think I got freaked because of last time, but since he had the normal poo, I think you're definitely right.

Snorfy hasn't even moved in yet. We've been giving him playdates with Gim so they can get used to each other. I was thinking about doing a "sleepover" for them to see how they do over a day and night. I'm trying to ease Gimli into the situation, but I think he still got a little stressed last time.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Ah ok.....you know, I do believe that when he has a loose stool here or there, it's really nothing to worry too much about. It's really only if its a prolonged loose stool. My dogs occasionally have loose stool....and I don't ever think about it unless they have an accident in the house. If you think about it, people don't panic if they have a loose stool here or there LOL

• GimMom and Jordann like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I wasn't so worried before, he'd have the odd loose one, or a couple in a row and that was usually fixed by reducing portions or upping bone. His upset GI two weeks ago threw me off totally! He bugged Shane at 3 am three nights ago to poo, also adding to my nervousness since that was his M.O when he was sick. And he'd had two days of loose poo at that point, too. But I've been trying to treat this like a restart of the diet and slowly add everything back in again, and so far, so good (today, anyway). I'm just thrilled that I have turkey necks again, he never had diarrhea with those. 

Thanks for putting up with the crazy neurotic dog mom that I can be, hahaha! You're right, he's fine. He's growling in my lap at the neighbor's barking dog right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO